Looking for tips pulling cables on 4087/3587-gctid802017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for tips pulling cables on 4087/3587-gctid802017

I'm getting ready to pull cables for new electronics on a 4087. Radar, transducer and MFD's on both helms. Pulling both N2K and Ethernet cables as well as hardware cabling. This is the first time for me on any boat. Anyone have any tips/tricks/suggestions on where the conduits are that go from the bilge to either/both helms on this model? Thanks!
    Why Naut
    1996 Bayliner 4087
    Twin Cummins 250 HP 6BTA5.9 M2
    Anacortes, WA

MMSI 338311223

"Boyd" post=802017 wrote:
    I'm getting ready to pull cables for new electronics on a 4087. Radar, transducer and MFD's on both helms. Pulling both N2K and Ethernet cables as well as hardware cabling. This is the first time for me on any boat. Anyone have any tips/tricks/suggestions on where the conduits are that go from the bilge to either/both helms on this model? Thanks!
    You can buy fiberglass rods for straight runs like the pipe to the fly bridge or any other reasonably straight runs.

Try Lowes or home depot or Harbor freight.

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-16-in...kit-65326.html

wire pulling fiberglass rods Lowes
    Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
    Twin 350 GM power
    Located in Seward, AK
    Retired marine surveyor

Comment

I am also looking to upgrade electronics package. Curious, what did you choose?

Thanks
      John
      "VGER"
      1996 4087 Cummins 315's
      San Diego, CA

Comment

I'm taking advantage of some of the Simrad Evo2 deals they can be made right now with their introduction of the Evo3. 4G radar, NSS12 chartplotters on both the lower and upper helms.
        Why Naut
        1996 Bayliner 4087
        Anacortes, WA

MMSI 338311223

Comment

Cable lube really helps...that and a good fishtape.
          Brad & Michelle
          Jet & Maverick
          1993 3688 "the Kraken"
          Hino W06 250HP
          14' Avon RIB, 50hp Tohatsu
          Moored at Shelter Bay
          LaConner, WA

Comment

Just looked at the specs. Nice! I take it you are using existing Radar? I have a Furuno and I guess I would have to update that to be able to use the EVO2. You also installing a transducer? All new to me.
            John
            "VGER"
            1996 4087 Cummins 315's
            San Diego, CA

Comment

I also replaced all my electronics on my 3587 two years ago, fairly simply job. There is a pipe chase in the panel by the steps to the fly bridge, it dumps into ceiling panel above the main electrical panel. I used the existing radar wire to pull my new 4G wire up to the top of the arch. It was a little tricky getting the wire behind the couch to the dash. I pulled out both the 12 volt and 120 volt panel to give me more room. I then removed the battery switch panel which is in the cupboard by the helm. All pretty easy, just time consuming.

Good luck.
              1996 Bayliner 3587
              Twin Cummins 6BT5.9

Comment

"Jebbb" post=802093 wrote:
                Just looked at the specs. Nice! I take it you are using existing Radar? I have a Furuno and I guess I would have to update that to be able to use the EVO2. You also installing a transducer? All new to me.
                You're where I was 4 months ago. Basically 3 major manufacturers I discovered: Raymarine, Garmin and Navico. Navico further manufacturers and markets under three brands: Lowrance (geared towards fishing boats), Simrad (cruisers) and B&G (sail). Careful research into the features and benefits of individual manufacturers' multifunction display/chartplotter is key to selecting the system you want, as each manufacturer uses proprietary connectors for radar and transducer(s). West Marine was a great place to see each brand side-by-side to feel and touch the displays for intuitiveness and features.
                Why Naut
                1996 Bayliner 4087
                Anacortes, WA

MMSI 338311223

Comment

Got the pull lube, wire fish tape and 6' fiberglass whip standing by. Still need to get a length of outdoor rated cat5 cable to use as a pulling tool, too. As soon as Why Naut gets out of the shop and back to the slip, the fun begins. Looking forward to both the project and its successful completion!
                  Why Naut
                  1996 Bayliner 4087
                  Anacortes, WA

MMSI 338311223

Comment

"Dirtyface" post=802092 wrote:
                    Cable lube really helps...that and a good fishtape.
                    Ditto on the cable lube. I like the water-based stuff; it's not as messy. As far as fishtape, I found that a 10-15' length of exterior grade Cat-6 cable works much better on a boat than a dedicated fishtape. It is stiff enough to be pushed and it does not damage other wires.
                    1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
                    2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
                    Anacortes, WA

Comment

Thanks. West Marines website has me in information overload. I will be going to a store Saturday to do some side-by-side exploring.
                      John
                      "VGER"
                      1996 4087 Cummins 315's
                      San Diego, CA

Comment

When you pull the cable through, tie a strong small diameter cord to the wire and make it long enough to pull in both directions then you will not need a fish tape again.
                        Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                        Twin 350 GM power
                        Located in Seward, AK
                        Retired marine surveyor

Comment

"Wake My Day" post=802096 wrote:
                          I also replaced all my electronics on my 3587 two years ago, fairly simply job. There is a pipe chase in the panel by the steps to the fly bridge, it dumps into ceiling panel above the main electrical panel. I used the existing radar wire to pull my new 4G wire up to the top of the arch. It was a little tricky getting the wire behind the couch to the dash. I pulled out both the 12 volt and 120 volt panel to give me more room. I then removed the battery switch panel which is in the cupboard by the helm. All pretty easy, just time consuming.

Good luck.
                          Thanks for these specifics!
                          Why Naut
                          1996 Bayliner 4087
                          Anacortes, WA

MMSI 338311223

Comment

When I pulled some wires from the salon to the flybridge on the stbd side just behind the lower helm, I found the pipe from the flybridge did not line up with the passage along the window. Made for a difficult task, but finally did get them thru.

Comment

Back when we had our 4087, getting cables around the boat was quite good. If you remove the back cedar lining wall of the master stateroom closet, the cable chases to the flybridge are visible with good access. Next in line, there's a removable panel near the flybridge stairs.

For wiring below the electrical panel and into the engine room, the steps down to the master stateroom are removable by sliding them vertically upwards - they have no bolts or fasteners.

I'm not sure if it's the case on all 3587/4087's but the panel behind the sofa backrest was removable on ours, and I installed a piano hinge on it before reinstallation to make it easier in the future. There's tons of space back there.

Good luck with the install.
                              Rob
                              Bayliner 5788
                              'Merlin V'
                              Vancouver BC

Comment

Working...
                              X