50 Amp Power Cords-gctid802014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

50 Amp Power Cords-gctid802014

I'm thinking about getting a 50 amp cord and adapter for my 3818. I don't have any need for or have any 240v appliances so I'm thinking the four wire cord isn't needed. Is the wire size larger than the 30 amp with different plugs?
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    MMSI 367770440

A 50A cord is larger, heavier, and has different connectors.
    1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
    2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
    Anacortes, WA

Comment

And costs cubic dollars more.
      1999 Sandpiper Pilothouse - Current
      1989 3888 - 2011-2019, 1985 Contessa - 2005-2011, 1986 21' Trophy 1998-2005
      Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

Wrestling the Anaconda. I can run both AC units on 50a. You need it after deploying it or coiling and storing it.
        Tally and Vicki
        "Wickus" Meridian 341
        MMSI 338014939

Comment

There are two types of 50 amp cords, both are 6 ga. wire.

the 50 / 120 3 wire is almost obsolete and very few marinas have the plug ins for it.

The 50 / 125 / 250 4 wire is also 6 ga. and actually delivers 50 amps on each leg of 120 volt power.

This is the most common plug at many newer marinas.

when I bought my boat the original owner had downsized the 2 x 50 amp original plugs to 2 x 30 amp.

I converted it to a single 50 / 125 / 250 for convenience at my own dock and other marinas.

I can run anything on the boat
          "Adios Dinero"
          1997 3988 with new 330 Cummins
          Photo Credit: Whiskywizard

Comment

My boat is set up for a single 50a cord. Runs everything on board including all 3 AC units. That being said yes they are rather big and heavy and the one that came with my boat was rather old and worn. Decided to make my own and was able to reduce the diameter substantially, the flexibility and the weight. Still uses the same 6ga 4 wire copper conductor found on store bough marine 50a cords. https://www.ccixpress.com/webapp/wcs...egory_rn=12553
            Cheers, Hans
            2007 Carver 41 CMY
            Twin Volvo D6-370
            Montreal, Canada
            Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

That is the good stuff, all the carnivals use it to power the rides from the central generator. My dock cord is the same wire with Leviton ends I made for half the price of a marine cordset and is higher rated.
              "Adios Dinero"
              1997 3988 with new 330 Cummins
              Photo Credit: Whiskywizard

Comment

"MidnightSun" post=802060 wrote:
                My boat is set up for a single 50a cord. Runs everything on board including all 3 AC units. That being said yes they are rather big and heavy and the one that came with my boat was rather old and worn. Decided to make my own and was able to reduce the diameter substantially, the flexibility and the weight. Still uses the same 6ga 4 wire copper conductor found on store bough marine 50a cords
                Is that the #6 that is about 200 strands of really fine wire? The cable I use in other projects comes under the common name of "welding wire". I need to replace mine this summer and would like to get something that is very flexible.
                Yep, my 4588 Bayliner IS my happy place :whistle:

Comment

"Foster" post=802067 wrote:
                  My boat is set up for a single 50a cord. Runs everything on board including all 3 AC units. That being said yes they are rather big and heavy and the one that came with my boat was rather old and worn. Decided to make my own and was able to reduce the diameter substantially, the flexibility and the weight. Still uses the same 6ga 4 wire copper conductor found on store bough marine 50a cords
                  Is that the #6 that is about 200 strands of really fine wire? The cable I use in other projects comes under the common name of "welding wire". I need to replace mine this summer and would like to get something that is very flexible.
                  Welding wire will work, just be sure to seal the connectors as the welding wire does not have plated wire strands, and will corrode with contact with salt water or air.

We use welding wire for welding in the Arctic year round and no issues.
                  Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                  Twin 350 GM power
                  Located in Seward, AK
                  Retired marine surveyor

Comment

"Foster" post=802067 wrote:
                    Not sure how many strands but it is very flexible. Spec sheet says 133/27 whatever that may mean. One thing for sure is this is the creme de la creme when it comes to wire and sheath. I could have gotten cheaper stuff but why skimp on something you want to last for a very long time. Heck it is even rated for use submersed. Converted the boat end to 50A smartplug system, love it.
                    Cheers, Hans
                    2007 Carver 41 CMY
                    Twin Volvo D6-370
                    Montreal, Canada
                    Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

The anaconda of a cable is a bit of a bugger sometimes due to its weight, stiffness and such...ESPECIALLY if it's cold. If it is something that is too difficult, you can always install an electric real system... if it's in the budget, it's a great feature and SUPER convenient....
                      BJ
                      OMEGA

Comment

6/4 electric cord at home depot is $5.64 ft.

Welding wire is single wire cable I believe, can be used for battery cable.
                        Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                        Twin 350 GM power
                        Located in Seward, AK
                        Retired marine surveyor

Comment

"MidnightSun" post=802072 wrote:

Not sure how many strands but it is very flexible. Spec sheet says 133/27 whatever that may mean. One thing for sure is this is the creme de la creme when it comes to wire and sheath. I could have gotten cheaper stuff but why skimp on something you want to last for a very long time. Heck it is even rated for use submersed. Converted the boat end to 50A smartplug system, love it.
                          (Missed the spec sheet on the link that you sent) It means 133 strands of #27 wire, which is pretty good. Welding wire in #6 size is 266 strands of #30. The #6 wire that I have gotten from places like HD/Lowes for home use is about 18 strands of #14. For flexibility more strands of smaller wire is better. All the individual strands flex, so smaller wire flexing is easier.

Thanks for the link!
                          Yep, my 4588 Bayliner IS my happy place :whistle:

Comment

"My boat is set up for a single 50a cord. Runs everything on board including all 3 AC units. That being said yes they are rather big and heavy and the one that came with my boat was rather old and worn. Decided to make my own and was able to reduce the diameter substantially, the flexibility and the weight. Still uses the same 6ga 4 wire copper conductor found on store bough marine 50a cords. http://www.ccixpress.com/webapp/wcs/...egory_rn=12553 "

+1 - another vote for 6/4 SEOOW submersion, abrasion and mining rated cord for your 50 amp 250 volt cable. We made one of these up at 65' about 12 years back and it was lighter, more flexible and looked better than the regular 'marine' cables. We had two 50/125 inlets to the boat so we also had a reverse "Y" adapter that allowed the 50/250 cable to feed both 50/125 inlets on the boat. When there was no 50/250 at the dock we switched to 50/125 cable or 30/125 cable and used the 50/125 to 30/125 adapters. If you cruise a wider zone you will encounter various power poles and in some cases they can be rather limited.
                            Northport NY

Comment

Most marina in my area have 30a only unless you get into some much bigger docks. Even at home port I need to use a reverse Y adapter to plug into the dual 30a outlets provided to me but it woks very well. Bottom line is I can use a straight 50a or dual 30A shore power feed with my configuration. bad part is I need 250v otherwise nada works.
                              Cheers, Hans
                              2007 Carver 41 CMY
                              Twin Volvo D6-370
                              Montreal, Canada
                              Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

Working...
                              X