How to add transmission shifter station in cockpit?-gctid801754

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to add transmission shifter station in cockpit?-gctid801754

I've seen a few 4788s/490s with a cockpit rear station with shifters (and throttles). I'd like to do it for ease of backing into slips when docking. I don't know if I'd need the throttles, but I have a feeling it would be a package deal. Cummins 330s, Hurth transmissions. Hydraulic, not electric.

Does anyone know what I need to buy, and how difficult is the installation?

Thank you,

Rob

http://www.rpmgroup.ca/custom-rigged-boats.php
    Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
    Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
    93 3058 sold
    92 2855 (day boat)
    91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
    Longbranch WA
    Life is Good

Comment

You will want to have a wheel there as well, for vectoring the rudders. You will need a matching set of controls, and the related hardware and plumbing. The best bet is going to be to find a good yard and get a quote. They will know roughly what they will need.

Have you thought of going with a wireless system? http://www.yachtcontroller.com
      Joel
      1987 3818 Hino 175
      "Knotty Girl"
      Prince Rupert B.C.

Comment

You don't need a wheel....just get a set of transmission controllers and mount them there and you'll be good. Do you have thrusters Rob? If so, I'd mount a control there for those too. I don't know what you'll need but my guess is two cables, clips to secure the cables, two levers, and two of those junction boxes (brings two cables into one..I don't know the name of them..hopefully someone will chime in with the technical term). I don't think the install would be that hard really once you find out what you need. It would be a nice thing to have if you back down into slips often as visibility from the 45/47/49 isn't good. I have a cam mounted on overhang of the aft deck and that helps but not as nice as standing there.

Yacht controller would be nice too but I think that option would be a lot more expensive than putting another station in like you're talking about.

Derek
        Family Boater
        1997 Bayliner 4788 w/330 Cummins - Phoenix
        (past) 1987 Bayliner 3218 w/135 Hino - True Story

Comment

No steering wheel / throttle / ignition switch? inch:
          Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
          Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
          93 3058 sold
          92 2855 (day boat)
          91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
          Longbranch WA
          Life is Good

Comment

Rob, you wrote hydraulic. I think it is a mechanical cable.
            1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Comment

"Ruffryder" post=801788 wrote:
              No steering wheel / throttle / ignition switch? inch:
              Yes, I couldn't agree more.

There is no way I would want control without having a wheel, throttle and ignition.

It is a long run from the cockpit of a 47 to either the pilothouse or the flybridge.
              Joel
              1987 3818 Hino 175
              "Knotty Girl"
              Prince Rupert B.C.

Comment

What he is asking about is not uncommon.

Many 47xx have hydraulic shift and throttles.

I have not dug into this too deeply but I have seen a lot of those systems in cockpit. I have seen a system diagram a long time ago and I don't think that there are a lot of parts to buy.
                1999 Sandpiper Pilothouse - Current
                1989 3888 - 2011-2019, 1985 Contessa - 2005-2011, 1986 21' Trophy 1998-2005
                Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

Any reason you cannot have a manual control in the cockpit considering the other stations are hydraulic?
                  Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                  Twin 350 GM power
                  Located in Seward, AK
                  Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Thank you for the replies. The connections are manual, not hydraulic - my mistake. The idea is to use those controls specifically for low-speed docking maneuvers. No need for a wheel or throttles, steering the boat with twin propellers is straightforward. This way I can look directly at the dock and not keep asking the admiral how far away we are, or whether I'm going to hit anything!

Thanks, as always, for the good information.

Comment

On my old 28' Tollycraft which I extended to 35 ft. I installed a 3 rd. station mid deck, 3 sets of controls all cables, not a big deal, no cable joiners, just connected to the tranny lever and throttle lever, I had several holes in the levers and adjusted everything to work properly, not a big deal.

You can buy the new trany levers for much less than those fancy combiners.

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                      Twin 350 GM power
                      Located in Seward, AK
                      Retired marine surveyor

Comment

OK, I'm scouring the Internet and can't locate the cables and shifters I would need. Yes, it is manual, not hydraulic. I need the shifters and the cables. Any idea what they're called and where to buy them? Many thanks again!

Comment

The shifters are available on ebay, you need to decide if you want the type that only needs 1 lever for shift and throttle for each engine or 2.

The one that is single lever you pull out the handle or leave it in for shift and throttle. this only requires 1, 2 lever control.

The other method id to have 2, 2 lever controls that have one pair of levers for each engine, both of these are available on ebay.

There are non Morse branded levers that are copies of the Morse brand and operate the same as Morse only costs less.

Look up Morse marine engine controls, also for cables, you need the length, a little long is better than short.

You should be able to find the transmission and engine levers also if you search for them.

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                          Twin 350 GM power
                          Located in Seward, AK
                          Retired marine surveyor

Comment

"robster_in_edmonds" post=801896 wrote:
                            OK, I'm scouring the Internet and can't locate the cables and shifters I would need. Yes, it is manual, not hydraulic. I need the shifters and the cables. Any idea what they're called and where to buy them? Many thanks again!
                            Rob - have you called North Harbor Diesel? I know Banana Belt had a 47 a while back that his this (we looked at it). I'd call them first.

Derek
                            Family Boater
                            1997 Bayliner 4788 w/330 Cummins - Phoenix
                            (past) 1987 Bayliner 3218 w/135 Hino - True Story

Comment

"robster_in_edmonds" post=801896 wrote:
                              Rob, I am surprised your 1997 4788 has mechanical controls as our '97 had hydraulic. I thought by 1997 it was standard, but maybe it was an option.

I believe they are called mechanical controls - here is Go2Marine's offering for both hydraulic and mechanical: http://www.go2marine.com/category/12...for-boats.html

I believe multi-station mechanical systems can be set up either in series or parallel, not sure how the 4788's bridge and pilothouse are currently set up?
                              Mike
                              "Allante I" Rayburn 75
                              Previous: '97 4788

Comment

Working...
                              X