Heading north-gctid801560

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heading north-gctid801560

With out looking up info, I was on line and thought I would ask. what is protocol for my tow behind when crossing in to Canadian waters. my boat is documented but my tow behind is WA registered with no name on it will this be a problem?
    1993 43.88 bayliner motoryatch

Current registration is all that is required.
    Joe
    2001 5288
    Lucky Liner ll

Comment

Plus one with Jas. However, be sure you have something like this http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/fo...-0798598p.html

They can get kind of serious if you don't have one with you in the dinghy. Like $250(cdn) serious. I got one at Dicks for less than twenty bucks but that was eight or nine years ago.
      P/C Pete
      Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
      1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
      Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
      MMSI 367770440

Comment

"Pcpete" post=801579 wrote:
        Plus one with Jas. However, be sure you have something like this http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/fo...-0798598p.html

They can get kind of serious if you don't have one with you in the dinghy. Like $250(cdn) serious. I got one at Dicks for less than twenty bucks but that was eight or nine years ago.
        While it is a good idea to carry, it is not required for a US registered boat in Canada for a short time.

See this:

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafet...sitor-1610.htm. "Foreign pleasure craft (pleasure craft that are licensed or registered in a country other than Canada) need to comply with equipment requirements of the country in which the vessel is usually kept."
        1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
        2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
        Anacortes, WA

Comment

At most you will be asked for your paper registration for the dinghy...not likely though. No difference towing the dinghy from having it mounted.
          1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Comment

FWIW we cross at least 5 times a year and tow our dinghy (wa registered) and I have never been asked for paperwork on it
            Brad & Michelle
            Jet & Maverick
            1993 3688 "the Kraken"
            Hino W06 250HP
            14' Avon RIB, 50hp Tohatsu
            Moored at Shelter Bay
            LaConner, WA

Comment

Thanks for the correction Rider. There was a situation quite a few years ago now, with one of our club members getting a heavy fine for not having the equipment. But, like I said, it was quite a few years ago.
              P/C Pete
              Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
              1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
              Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
              MMSI 367770440

Comment

"Pcpete" post=801626 wrote:
                Thanks for the correction Rider. There was a situation quite a few years ago now, with one of our club members getting a heavy fine for not having the equipment. But, like I said, it was quite a few years ago.
                When the rule first went into effect there was a lot of misinformation going around, including the authorities. I believe that this has since changed.
                1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
                2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
                Anacortes, WA

Comment

It might be a good idea to carry a copy of Canadian laws regarding equipment needed by a visiting boater.

I have had my tender checked several times now and they want to use Canadian require laws.

Many OPP officers don't seem to know the laws for visiting boats. I just comply with Canadian laws to avoid a problem.

I have never been questioned about the mothership.

If I were we would have a discussion about Canadian requirements for (I believe) 12 up to date flares.

Doug
                  Started boating 1955
                  Number of boats owned 32
                  Bayliners
                  3870 presently owned
                  Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

thanks for your help.
                    1993 43.88 bayliner motoryatch

Comment

We were at anchor at Sidney Spit couple of years ago. Canadian CBP in a big rib came up to us and asked for our paper work. Plus they checked our dinghy which does have a current Canadian 'dinghy' kit, bailer, tow rope etc. Very friendly and don't think we'd have been in trouble if something was missing.

Machog
                      1996 4087 Lazy Days
                      2011 11’ West Marine Rib 350 Lazy Mac
                      2011 Porsche Cayman
                      2010 Lexus IS 250C
                      2008 Honda Ridgeline

Comment

Do Canadian boat equipment laws apply immediately on entry or after 45 days in Canada? Since we sometimes stay over 45 days, I equip my boats to meet both counties laws immediately.
                        Started boating 1965
                        Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

Comment

Working...
                        X