Dinghy size again...-gctid801250

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dinghy size again...-gctid801250

If I replace my dinghy with a 1 foot longer, 200 lbs heavier unit, the motor would extend 12" further over the cockpit. (11 foot now, 12 foot plan)

Boat is a 5288. The Davit can do it. Can this be done safely and/or do you see any yellow or red flags.

Has anyone done this?

Thank you
    Joe
    2001 5288
    Lucky Liner ll

I do not know about a 52 but here is a 12.5 ' Zodiac on a 47....

Northport NY

Comment

Northport NY

Comment

We carry a Bullfrog Yacht Tender on our 47. With engine and gear it weighs just at 750#. I believe it's overall length with engine is 2 foot 7 inches. See: http://www.bullfrogboats.com/utility...nder-11_5.html

It has all the advantages of an inflatable with none of the disadvantages. The aluminum bottom allows you to drag it on the beach anywhere. The Poly sides are about a half inch thick and filled with foam so even a big hole in one will not sink the Bullfrog. Once we towed it to Alaska behind our motorhome and used it fishing in Cook Inlet, and several rivers on the Kenai Peninsula.
        Started boating 1965
        Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

Comment

Ive seen quite a few boats with thier dinghy overhanging thier bridge a couple of feet, and none of them seem to have any issues as long as the standoffs are located and secured properly....

As such, I've been struggling with a similar question. I ordered a new whaler 130 super sport and figured it'll fit on the bridge nicely, but will overhang about a foot longer than my 110ss whaler. I figure that is ok, or I could always move the dinghy to sit crossways on the bridge. I've heard of people doing that successfully.

That being said, as I've been waiting, I ran into two other dinghy ideas... one was an Edgewater 145cc and the other is a Scout 151. They are both about #1200 and by davit will hold it, but the length is the challenge. I've been devising a solution to to tip the bow up above the seating so the rear will sit fairly close to the back of the bridge.. This tilts the boat at a 15 degree angle or so, and would help it to drain. But still not sure if that's a very good solution yet. I REALLY like the edgewater 145, but the other problem is I can't seem to find one anywhere except Florida and Ontario canada. As such, I'm thinking I may just concede and stick with the whaler for now.... not sure though because I like the interior of the two alternatives...

I look forward to hear what you finally come up with,,,

BJ

OMEGA

BJ
          OMEGA

Comment

"jas0381" post=801250 wrote:
            If I replace my dinghy with a 1 foot longer, 200 lbs heavier unit, the motor would extend 12" further over the cockpit. (11 foot now, 12 foot plan)

Boat is a 5288. The Davit can do it. Can this be done safely and/or do you see any yellow or red flags.

Has anyone done this?

Thank you
            Do you beach the dinghy? If so, consider that when selecting one. It is a pain to get a heavy dinghy off the beach after the tide has receded.

Because we often beach our dinghy, we carry a 10' RIB on stern davits. If we want to cruise on the dinghy further, we will also tow a Boston Whaler 130SS. As a matter of fact, a friend with a 55' Selene configured the cockpit top and davit crane on his boat to carry two boats: an 8' RIB for beaching and short runs, and a Boston Whaler 130SS for longer distances.
            1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
            2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
            Anacortes, WA

Comment

"Because we often beach our dinghy, we carry a 10' RIB on stern davits. If we want to cruise on the dinghy further, we will also tow a Boston Whaler 130SS."

Yes - agreed a great solution if you want to be able to do many various things on a longer trip. If you look in the picture above we are carrying a 9' airdeck tipped up on the swim step that is easily beached, the 12.5 Zodiac and also usually tow a larger Rib over 19'.

Here is a pic of the 12.5 on the boat deck while towing a 19.5' Rib....

Northport NY

Comment

So everyone who helped:

I found the one that I wanted. My wife liked a different one. We paused. She changed her mind.

My 2003 11dx caribe was hauled by a transporter to the shop today.

We will have a 2003 caribe with a 2017 Tohatsu 30hp.

Hesitated and lost permission.

What's that saying?

Just sayin!
                Joe
                2001 5288
                Lucky Liner ll

Comment

"jas0381" post=801501 wrote:
                  Hesitated and lost permission.
                  I never ask permission, neither does she. It's been working well for 33+years
                  1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
                  2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
                  Anacortes, WA

Comment

Working...
                  X