3288 engine air intake vents and grilles-gctid801125

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3288 engine air intake vents and grilles-gctid801125

The 1991 boat we have just bought sat bashing against a concrete pile for 18 months, and although there was a fender, it was not doing a great job. The pile was directly on the starboard side vent grille. Pretty much destroyed. Plenty of water ingress..

The cut out for the vent is only 270 x 110mm, although the decorative cover is massively bigger. Why? Just cosmetic? Screw holes show that a previous owner has already bodged or altered something.

The box inside the vent is non marine quality plywood, and is rotted big time. Has anyone rebuilt one of these? Access is ZERO from inside, without removing the tank.

Photos show the damaged grille, the cut out area, the rotten box, and my temporary "holding pattern" fix, with an insert that exactly fits the cut out. Just plastic, so not robust enough, and a longer term solution is coming. Unlikely though, that I will put back anything the size of the original cover, unless you guys tell me otherwise. The biggest issue is rebuilding the rotten box.

Thanks everyone.

A lifetime of racing everything from dinghies to world girdlers, but one of those lucky people who just love being afloat. So .... when the body doesn't work like before, it doesn't mean staying ashore.
    Blustery Day
    Bayliner 3288 Motoryacht, 1991.
    Twin Hino 150hp diesels.
    Purchased 23 February 2017

Looks like you have some common woodwork to do on that air box. Some of the "guys" here are replacing the old ones with starboard that they have slotted. IMO they look pretty good.
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    MMSI 367770440

Comment

Working...
    X