Trace Charger/inverter for the 4788-gctid801095

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trace Charger/inverter for the 4788-gctid801095

It looks like the Trace charger/inverter has packed it in. In the 4788, it is a manual 3 way switch on the main fuse panel between the inverter, shore power and generator.

There is the button that turns on the unit. Has anyone changed out that Trace with another unit that works will with the Bayliner 4788 configuration?

Thanks Stephan
    Stephan
    "Mahaiya" 4788
    Vancouver, BC

Take a look at Magnum MS2012 or MS2812 pure sine wave. Inverters have come a long way from when Trace were developed. http://www.magnum-dimensions.com/mob...erter-chargers
    1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Comment

Last year I replaced my old Xantrex unit with a new true sine wave Xantrex unit. We mounted it under the corner section of the settee. Those things throw off a lot of heat, so my electrician put in several fans connected to a thermostat. When it gets warm in there the fans force cool air around the unit, which should help keep it operating safely for a long time.

Even though I stayed with Xantrex the remote control head required new wiring, so I ran Cat5 cabling from the unit to the remote head location on the side of the electric panel and it works great.

Comment

We blew out a brand new coffee pot while underway and afterwards replaced the modified sine wave inverter with a Magnum pure sine wave one.
        1991 57 Widebody Tollycraft "Solana"
        Formerly:
        Ladysmith, BC
        Michelle

Comment

I have a Trace from the early 90's - if it dies it will be replaced by a Magnum.
          1999 Sandpiper Pilothouse - Current
          1989 3888 - 2011-2019, 1985 Contessa - 2005-2011, 1986 21' Trophy 1998-2005
          Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

"robster_in_edmonds" post=801321 wrote:
            Last year I replaced my old Xantrex unit with a new true sine wave Xantrex unit. We mounted it under the corner section of the settee. Those things throw off a lot of heat, so my electrician put in several fans connected to a thermostat. When it gets warm in there the fans force cool air around the unit, which should help keep it operating safely for a long time.

Even though I stayed with Xantrex the remote control head required new wiring, so I ran Cat5 cabling from the unit to the remote head location on the side of the electric panel and it works great.
            We have a Xantrex SW3000 inverter/charger in the same location. Five seasons under our keel and it's still going strong.

Magnum and Outback aren't the only choice in quality inverter/chargers

KEVIN SANDERS
            4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
            www.transferswitch4less.com

where are we right now?

https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

We have a fully factory certified Magnum 3112 modified sine wave inverter sitting in our garage at home which will be sold for the cost of the factory recertification. The unit had been installed in our M490.

The evening before we were setting out on our annual Desolation trip we discovered an inverter problem. Our (former) electrician advised that we needed a new inverter, and installed a new Magnum 2812 pure sine wave unit. He completed the job at close to 11:00 that night.

The inverter we removed was out of warranty, but just the same we had it shipped back to Magnum for testing. They bench tested and re certified is without having to do anything at all - no faults found.

On reflection, this was a situation where we needed something doing urgently to get away on vacation, and then ended up with an unnecessary large bill because of the urgency of the job, combined with electricians mis-steps, despite the trust we had placed in him. "Fool me once.........etc.
              Rob
              Bayliner 5788
              'Merlin V'
              Vancouver BC

Comment

Thank you all.

In the end, I took a lot of advice and replaced it with the Magnum MS2812. It just got wired up and I will be setting and testing it tomorrow. (April 12th)

Stephan
                Stephan
                "Mahaiya" 4788
                Vancouver, BC

Comment

Working...
                X