hard tops-gctid801074

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hard tops-gctid801074

we are interested in putting a hard top on our 57 foot bayliner 1998 dose anyone have any pictures or info on where we could get this work done or a approx. cost to do this mod?

BDC Anacortes WA
    Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
    Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
    93 3058 sold
    92 2855 (day boat)
    91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
    Longbranch WA
    Life is Good

Comment

The picture that Ruffryder posted is of the heavily modified 5788 formerly called Hydrogene. I met the former owner a few years ago who advised that the top was designed by a Vancouver BC architect, but I have no clue who built it.

The hardtop is a really nice design, and looks totally factory. Personally, I would omit the part aft of the radar arch, but on this boat, the rear upper deck was a recreation area, no davit, and the tender mounted on a Freedom Lift extending from the swim platform.

I would love to have a hardtop like this on our 5788, but the cost would be significant. I chatted to Boaters Discount Center in LaConner about building a hardtop for us last year. I sent them the exact photo in this thread, and they ball parked a price of around US$25,000. Unlike most of their hardtop business, there are no existing molds, and probably very few 5788's to help to amortize the startup costs.

Keep us posted on your progress.
      Rob
      Bayliner 5788
      'Merlin V'
      Vancouver BC

Comment

Esteban
        Huntington Beach, California
        2018 Element 16
        Currently looking for 32xx in South Florida
        Former Bayliners: 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

There is another approach to the hardtop that we took. That is to make a stainless frame and then use starboard as the roof materal. They basically welded two large sheets together, cutting out the overal shape and then used heat to shape it to the frame. we did ours about 4 years ago.. We love and have 2 huge solar panels on top. The cost was HALF of that of Fiberglass estimates were, and weight by estimates was 1/3 (ie we did not want the boat top heavy and large solid fiberglass hard top can do just that if you look at how much it will weight and how high up it is. After removing the old arch we calculated think our net weight with the stainless structure and top was about 200lbs with the 2 solar panels on top.

Here are some pics (of course we have 4588 but this at least gives you a feel for the look. Very clear and strong. All wiring goes in chase in the large 2" tubes on both sides. we LED lights as well as 4 led floods (2 for the rear and one on each side) which are great for night diving, boards at night and launching tender at night or picking up moorings.

Ps we did look at Atlantic Custom Hard tops but again the cost to ship and then install got out of hand as did potential weight for us.

http://www.atlantictowers.com/custom...s-hardtops.php

Attached files

Mark
          USCG OUPV
          1990 4588
          Carlsbad, CA

Comment

Nice looking job, Mark! That is what I think I may do to our Avanti 3685 (if the survey and sea trials go ok and we purchase) . . . . I'd love to put a couple of panels on top like that and have a large enough house bank to stay out for a few days . . or more . . :whistle:

PS - so you installed the Atlantic Tower version, not the Atlantic Custom Hard Top version, right?
            1998 Avanti 3685 - "Dad's Dream" w 454 Mercs - for sale - Dredge Harbor, NJ
            Former - "Home Aweigh" 2003 - 2452 Bayliner Cierra Classic Hardtop Cruiser
            WQQM835 MMSI: 338147209
            James H. Stradling

Comment

No we end up having a local stainless fabrication company (Riley Marine in long beach, CA) do it for much less then Atlantic towers. I would assume that most Marine Stainless Steel Fabricators in your area can do the same. Many down in So Cal are doing this now as well.
              Mark
              USCG OUPV
              1990 4588
              Carlsbad, CA

Comment

Working...
              X