What to do about 4788 arch.-gctid800394

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do about 4788 arch.-gctid800394

So I have a 1994 4788. Just finished up phase one. Electronics install, plus full service of both Hino's. We splashed last week. Now in slip in Anacortes WA. I went with full package of Raymarine electronics. Took down open array. Went to a Radome 24inch. New hole in thicken section off arch. When drilling wood came out like mush! Very wet, dark crap. It is a hinged arch, with standard factory stuff above. Now mostly removed. Is it worth the rebuild? Or do I consider an aluminum arch. Who done either, Input would be great thanks
    jim and Anna 1994 4788 Refresh 310 Hinos

I love the factory arch look on the 47s, not sure what a uluminium would look like, it's your call and dollars
    {Living our Dream}
    John & Nancy
    1988 Bayliner 38
    175 Hinos 8.5 kw Westerbeke
    Sandy Point Ferndale Washington

Comment

I'd start with a call to Boaters' Discount to see what they have for a replacement: http://www.boatersdiscountcenter.com/index.htm
      1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Comment

I've always said that if I EVER have a real Arch problem, I'm going with an Aluminum arc.

I bought one from an outfir called "Atlantic Towers for our old 2452 years ago and it is onbe Nice looking arch, and easy to install1

KEVIN SANDERS
        4788 DOS PECES - SEWARD ALASKA

Whats the weather like on the boat
        https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddab...59665f4e4/wide

Where am I right now? https://maps.findmespot.com/s/2R02

Comment

Hi Jim

Why not just remove/ repair the arch,I rebuilt our arch it's not that hard.

Good luck Brad
          Brad & Sharon
          Lady Jake
          1985 4550 EH 700TI /Twin Disc 502
          Anacortes/La Conner, Wa.

Comment

You might want to drill some exploratory holes in other parts of the arch to see how far the rot extends. It is possible/likely that it is fairly confined to the failed penetration (presumably the previous radar installation). With luck you may only have a section to fill.
            Alan Teed
            MOONSHADOW
            1996 Wendon Sky Lounge 72'
            Gig Harbor, WA
            Previously:
            1994 Bayliner 4788
            2006 Hylas 49' SY
            Bayliner 2855
            1977 Cal 34' SY
            1981 Hunter 33' SY

Comment

We have the same problem on our 45, so I purchased an arch from Atlantic Towers. I have it in my warehouse and am planning on installing later this month. I can tell you the quality of construction is excellent, the price was certainly right @ $1899 delivered to Seattle, and it includes everything you will need for the basic install. They have a lot of add-ons available you can buy as well if you want to customize it some. The one main advantage with changing out the waterlogged arch for the aluminum one is getting rid of about 500# of excess weight. The only possible downside that I can see is that while the aluminum tower may make the roll in a beam sea a bit less, it may also be somewhat quicker.

Comment

Would you please post some pictures. Thank you, Jim.

Comment

I vote for remove it. Those look so 80's Miami Vice'ish.
                  Esteban
                  Huntington Beach, California
                  2018 Element 16
                  Currently looking for 32xx in South Florida
                  Former Bayliners: 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

There's not as much wood in the 47 as the 45. I would rebuild it.

Comment

I am going to repair it. Very small section is damaged. Just top center. It has been a pain to work on. It is hinged for one thing. Screws stripped easy. Trim molding isn't in great shape either. I will up grade lights inside LED maybe color changing type. New speakers as well. Thanks all.

Comment

Jim

Here are some photos of our install. We are just now doing the wiring for the electronics but you can see how the arch was removed and installs. We cut the old arch into small pieces with a sawzall to make the disposal a bit easier, then patched the dozen mounting holes with chopped fiberglass and faired with marine catalyzed putty. we then color matched the repair with two part urethane. That was day one. on day two we did the install of the new arch which took us about 4 hours. (lots of fun with the wind blowing 40 kts) I will send more photos when the wiring of the electronics is completed later this week.

Comment

Jim

We finally have the change out completed. here are a couple of photos to show you how it came out .

Attached files

Comment

Looks great. So getting cable to the arch via the tubes I guess, You must have access through a hatch I guess.

Comment

FWIW - the 45 arch is much different than the 47 arch, not only is the direction different but the construction and attachment are as well.
                              Northport NY

Comment

Working...
                              X