Where is the helm station?-gctid799800

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"MonteVista" post=799822 wrote:
    I can understand having additional controls at the back, to help with docking. However, I do not understand the logic of no forward-positioned at the lower deck for normal cruising.

I was just curious, not an issue for me. I know that if I were to want to purchase a flybridge boat, this would be a deal killer for me.

Thanks,
    The majority of serious sportfishing dont have a lower helm. A lot of them don't even have windshield down below, it's just solid fiberglass. Less windows to clean, and less chance for a water leak, or a wave to bust through it in rough waters. They aren't trawlers though, so not much time is spent driving the boat. Big engines, fly out to the fishing spot, fly home. If you look at the sport fishing boats in the south east you will see many with super clean forward decks: no hatches, no rails, no anchor, etc. Looks sleek but those boats are only good for day fishing for wealthy people.
    Esteban
    B-ham!
    Former Bayliners 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

Definitely no lower helm on this one

I've seen a few meridians at the Vancouver boat show with no lower helm. I guess they are optional. I don't know why someone in the PNW would tolerate that.

I also remember a few years ago in the Vancouver craigslist there was a 38xx for sale that had the lower helm removed. The owner used it as a cheap condo downtown and had it fixed up really nice.

Attached files

Esteban
      B-ham!
      Former Bayliners 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

I heard years ago the term "port" meant the fishing boats/ships returning from the North of England called the left side of the boat "port" meaning that is the direction of the home port, starboard was the open sea and where at night most of the stars could be seen, maybe an old fisherman's tale, I do not know. Starboard was also called "larboard".in some of the old pirate movies.
        Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
        Twin 350 GM power
        Located in Seward, AK
        Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Working...
        X