Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Re-post from another form from advice on this form - help with starting problem-gctid799643

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re-post from another form from advice on this form - help with starting problem-gctid799643

I've owned my 1989 3870 for just over one year. I am presently located in False Creek, Vancouver, BC.

Last week I found I couldn't turn over the engines to start - they are 1700 Hino NA. Turned jumper switch on and started both engines then switched jumper back to off.

Port side of voltmeter on dash showed 0 volts. Starboard side shows 13 volts before trying to start system. On closing jump switch no change occurred on port voltmeter, still showed 0 volts. Once running volts on port gauge slowly rose to proper voltage.

The following day tested all batteries with hydrometer and found all cells in good condition and charged up while port voltmeter still showed 0 volts. Cleaned all cables contacts on the starting 8D battery (new last September). Checked back of isolation switch on starting system. It looks clean/spotless. Check fuses on main panel in engine room. All look OK but still no voltage on port meter.

Still no start without jumping system off the jumper isolation switch.

Any thoughts or advice in where I go from here to track down and correct this problem appreciated.

Slider70
    16' lap straight with B&S inboard, my 1st commercial fishing adventure
    17' run about with original 80ph Volvo, fun with some exploration of the coast
    25' Chris Craft - lots of fun exploring further north on the BC coast
    32' wood commercial salmon troller - ice boat, hard work & fun
    41' wood commercial salmon troller - ice boat, hard work & fun
    38' Permaglass commercial salmon troller - freezer boat, harder work & fun
    1987 3870 with 175 Hinos - back to mostly fun again & exploration

If boat still wired as it left the factory both engines starr off one 8D battery and one engine alternator charges that battery. The other battery is the house battery charged by the other alternator. By paralleling, you tie start and house batteries together.
    Started boating 1965
    Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

Comment

"Steadfast70" post=799643 wrote:
      The following day tested all batteries with hydrometer and found all cells in good condition and charged up while port voltmeter still showed 0 volts. Cleaned all cables contacts on the starting 8D battery (new last September). Checked back of isolation switch on starting system. It looks clean/spotless. Check fuses on main panel in engine room. All look OK but still no

Still no start without jumping system off the jumper isolation switch.
      Did you also check/clean the negative conection at the other end? (Engine blocks or common negative buss if equiped) To me it sounds like a bad negative cable connection on the start bank.
      Dave
      Edmonds, WA
      "THE FIX"
      '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
      (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
      The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
      Misc. projects thread
      https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Finally hired a mechanic to have a look at my systems. The vessel has had all new batteries since purchase last March. These includes six 6 volts batteries wired to 12 volts to make one bank running the house system. These six are separated physically with four in one box between the engines and the other two in a box on the port side. In addition I have an 8D starting battery to start both main engines and a regular sized 12 volt for the generator. Turns out with the mechanic in the engine room and me starting the engines he isolated the problem to a loose cable on the two 6 volts on the port side of the vessel. What I though were two 6 volt house batteries tied into the other four to form the house system were actually cabled to start the main engines. The 8D was actually wired to be part of the house system tied into the other four 6 volts.

Starting problem resolved but obviously I need to re-cable to have all 6 of the 6 volt house batteries hooked up for the house bank and the 8D re-cabled to start both engines.

The mechanic strongly advised that I install a second 8D along with a new isolation switch and cables so that I have two 8D batteries, one for each engine. He did not like one 8D wired to start both engines.

Two questions if I may:

1. Any thoughts on making the change to one 8D for each engine with each having separate isolation switch? Is this necessary seeing as the vessel has been wired this way since 1989? Have other owners done this conversion?

2. The two voltmeters on the dash in the engine instrument cluster show the starboard meter at 13 volts and the port meter as 0 with both keys off. On turning on the key to the starboard engine nothing changes on the gauges. On turning on the port engine key the port meter goes to 13 volts while the starboard gauge does not change. Are other 3870 owner see similar wired situation on the two voltage gauges?

The vessel is still relatively new to me as I have owned her for a year but I live 1200 kilometers away from her berth so am not on her daily or even weekly. More like blocks of time, a couple of months three times a year. So I am still in the big learning curve one has with a new, to me, vessel. This form is fantastic and I thank each of you who response with suggestions.

Steadfast 70
        16' lap straight with B&S inboard, my 1st commercial fishing adventure
        17' run about with original 80ph Volvo, fun with some exploration of the coast
        25' Chris Craft - lots of fun exploring further north on the BC coast
        32' wood commercial salmon troller - ice boat, hard work & fun
        41' wood commercial salmon troller - ice boat, hard work & fun
        38' Permaglass commercial salmon troller - freezer boat, harder work & fun
        1987 3870 with 175 Hinos - back to mostly fun again & exploration

Comment

Others may disagree, but I run two 8ds wired together to start both engines. You could get away with 1 8d, or two group 31s.

My house bank is in between my engines.

I feel that the way it is wired from the factory is fine. It makes for easier wiring as well. You have two engines, two alternators and two banks. One alternator charges the house, one charges the starting batteries. As you have found out, when the starting battery is down, switch the combiner switch and away you go.

Once you have it wired correctly, you should not have further issues. I check all my connections periodically, and never have an issue.

I think both my gauges read zero with the key off, but I have never really looked.
          Joel
          1987 3818 Hino 175
          "Knotty Girl"
          Prince Rupert B.C.

Comment

Bayliner wired the volt meters so that the stbd meter stays on showing your house battery when the key is off. The port meter shows voltage only when the key is on. The purpose is you can see the house battery condition when not running.

There is no need for two start batteries on your Hinos. It is extra weight, expense and maintenance. If you had your start battery fail you simply start with your house battery either by a combine switch or if there isn't one, then with the jumper cables everyone should carry.
            1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Comment

Yes I agree that 1 8d is more than enough, UNLESS, you are in a storm, and the tanks have stirred crud up, and you are having to change filters on the fly and try to get the air bled. Been there done that years ago, and I prefer to have a little extra reserve capacity.

When these 2 8ds are toast, I will probably go with something different. Possibly 2 group 31s. I am a lot more careful with the weather, and cleaning my tanks than I once was.
              Joel
              1987 3818 Hino 175
              "Knotty Girl"
              Prince Rupert B.C.

Comment

Working...
              X