Floscans for a 2001 4788-gctid799595

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Floscans for a 2001 4788-gctid799595

I am thinking about installing floscans on my 4788. Any ideas, cost, DIY, are they worth the money?

2001 4788 370hp cummins

Thanks

I would recommend that you look at the Flowscan and Maretron NMEA 2000 fuel flow senders. Either one will interface with a NMEA 2000 backbone. This will allow display of fuel flow on a chartplotter or other MFD. It would be less of a hassle than installing new gauges, plus you won't need a set of gauges for each helm station.

http://www.floscan.com/html/blue/ser...ail.php?sid=21

http://www.maretron.com/products/ffm100.php

When you get a chance, please fill in your profile.
    1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
    2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
    Anacortes, WA

Comment

Just a thought to share -- and don't get me wrong a fuel flow tool can be valuable... but.. there is another option. Some of the new Chartplotters are getting pretty smart. I have a Simrad NSS EVO2 and it has a feature called TripIntel. It can take a fuel tank measurement and calculate MPG for a trip. You can do it manually (tell the system each time you fill the tank) or, if you have an N2K fuel measurement device (a device like an AlbaCombi or Maertron) that converts an analogue gauge to N2K it will know in real time how much fuel is in the tank. Note that the measurement is calculated based on % full and not real time like a fuel flow device, however these systems do have some ability to learn and get more accurate over time. The upside is that implementation is much easier than installing the 4 x fuel flow measuring devices.

Anyhow, depending on what your goal is the electronic option could be a good fit.
      Terry
      1999 Bayliner 3388
      Twin Cummins 4BTA
      Fisherman, Cruiser, Boaticus-enthusiasticus-maximus
      Member Royal Victoria Yacht Club

Comment

I put a set on mine... installed, calibrated myself... not too bad, running the wires engine room to fly was the hardest part IMHO... .. it its sweet to know how much fuel is used from each tank.. digital tachs are nice to....

Comment

I'm a big fan of flowscans.

Knowing your fuel burn rate can really help in optimizing creuse speed, attitude, etc...

When going long distances the totalizer is invaluable as it allows you to cruise further safely between fuel stops.

KEVIN SANDERS
          4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA

Comment

huge fan of flow scans...have had them years, takes the guess work out of long trips and alerts you engine performance and maintenance issues before they become big problems.
            Mark
            USCG OUPV
            1990 4588
            Carlsbad, CA

Comment

+1 on Floscans. We have them on our 2001 4788.
              1991 57 Widebody Tollycraft "Solana"
              Formerly:
              Ladysmith, BC
              Michelle

Comment

Working...
              X