3288 stuffing box-gctid396363

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3288 stuffing box-gctid396363

Well I had my boat out of the water, so I thought I would repack the stuffing boxes. It was a little difficult getting the old packing out but I managed. I put 3 new rows of packing in each and hand tightened the nuts then just a slight turn with a wrench and tightened the locking nuts.

I had never done this before, so I was a little nervous putting the boat back in the water. We lowered her in and tied to the dock. After about an hour there were no drips, so I left for a cruise. The drips started flowing pretty quickly and a greasy substance was oozing out at the top of the nut where it meets the shaft. I stopped and thought I better tighten both nuts. I read you shouldnt make any adjustments for 24 hours, but the drips were about 1 a second at idle so I did a small snug. It seemed to work, the drips slowed and the shaft remaind cool. The oozing continued, then subsided after abut 30 minutes.

I was out for about an hour in total and when I returned to the dock and shut down there was a slow drip. (about 1 per minute) I left thinking that was ok. Im heading back down today to check things out, hopefully shes still floating.

Does this sound like a typical experience? I was not expecting the oozing, not sure if thats normal, it wasnt mentioned in anything I read. I have only been boating for a year and its all new to me.

Thanks.

There should be no dripping at rest. Tighten so there is no dripping. Not sure about the oozing. What color and consistency was it.
    1997 3788/Cummins 6BTA 5.9 M2s (Sold)
    2003 Silverton 42c/Cummins 480CEs
    2019 Cobia 240 CC
    2006 Boston Whaler 13 Sport
    1985 3270/Hino 135s (Sold)

Vero Beach, Fl.

Comment

What type of packing material did you use?

Comment

The oozing was the color and consistency of grease. Not sure what type of packing I used, it looked like a light brown rope that had been dipped in white wax.

Comment

Sounds like you installed flax packing impregnated with tallow (animal fat) - as the packing wears in and warms-up some of the tallow oozes out - I have seen this on some, but not all packing replacements. I suggest it is better to have a little more leakage and make slow adjustments, rather than over-tighten, drive-out the tallow, and over-heat the shaft.

Comment

Next time use a teflon/flax packing, no more grease.
            Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
            Twin 350 GM power
            Located in Seward, AK
            Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Working...
            X