4788 depth sounder transducer location-gctid794886

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4788 depth sounder transducer location-gctid794886

Getting ready to upgrade the original Raymarine nav equipment on our 2000 4788 to a new set of RM. One of the upgrades is a CPT-120 Bronze Through Hull CHIRP Transducer. The original transducer is located in the fwd bilge area. It is a 2" diameter through hull. The CPT-120 looks like 1-1/4" stem. Trying to sort through options. Yard suggests pulling original transducer, filling the hole and cutting a new hole adjacent to old one. (They haven't looked at it yet - just first suggestion). I'm not sure there is room adjacent to original through hull location. Another option is leave the original transducer in place, run it to a stand alone indicator, and find a new location for the CPT-120. Would give two independent depth indications. Question is where in hull is best place for new through hull for CPT-120 - and would there be any interference issue with running the original transduce along with the new one. If so - I'd leave the original off until/unless I needed it. Mainly looking for suggestions on location for new CPT-120. Any thoughts?
    Steve Taylor
    2000 Bayliner 4788
    Nighthawk I
    New Bern, NC

I recently put a Raymarine transducer immediately adjacent to an older Raymarine transducer and both work without interfering with each other. You can test before drilling by putting the CPT-120 in a baggy filled with water, and holding it against the inside hull beside the already in place one. If all works well, drill away.
    1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Comment

I installed the chirp CPT-110 (plastic version) under the companion stairs. The hole is much smaller than the old 2" units. Is was super easy to install there.

I removed the old 2" transducer in the engine room and plugged the hole with a 2" threaded thru hull and threaded cap (all sealed with 3M 5200)

In my opinion it's faster and just as strong and safe to use a thruhull to plug the hole, than it is to fair, fill, glass and paint up the old hole. The others option is to leave the old transducer in place.
      1997 Bayliner 4788 "Mostly Harmless"
      Sold: 1990 Bayliner 3888

Comment

I found that the space under the closet floor in the quest stateroom. It's off the side of the space where the forward bildg pumps are to port.
        2001 4788
        1991 4387
        Twin Hino 250
        Don't let anyone steal your happy
        Capt. Dave

Comment

Working...
        X