Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Height-adjustable table for 38xx...done! (Pics attached)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, we were debating as to whether the table should be leaved (so that you could fold it smaller)...after living with it for a long weekend, we (which means the admiral as well as your captain :P ) decided that it's a comfortable size, and no need to make it leaved. However, the pointy corner right corner needs to come off at an angle, and have rounded edges...it kind of blocks you from easily seating yourself on the fore end of the seating. Taking some of that corner off will change that completely, and won't really be any problem in terms of support for the filler cushion...we're talking taking a few inches off, and at somewhat of an angle. I'm going to replace the two-piece pine table top with oak or butcher block...something similar. The ottoman needs a little sanding, a little bit of darker stain, and probably a thick polyurethane finish, along with some slightly larger adjustable feet.

I do need to add some larger feet to the ottoman platform to raise it just a bit...it's still about a 1/4" short of the lip along the left side and back. I built it just a little too short because that's easy to correct with adjustable-height feet (vs too tall).

Cheers,

Dave

Comment

This is my boat...somehow my name never got associated with this thread after the site update...and the pics are gone. Lemme see if I still have those. This setup is REALLY comfortable, and we really like it a couple years later.

Here ya go!

Cheers,
      Dave

Comment

I just came across this thread and read the whole thing. I have been looking for ways to make the dining area convert into a bed as our saloon has been redone and the functionality is now gone. Would really like to see all the missing pictures if you still have them. Is the ottoman mobile or fixed in place? Great job.
        P/C Bob Hicks JN
        Dock Holiday, 1992 Bayliner 3888 Double Cabin Flybridge Cruiser
        Twin Hino W04TI 210 HP Diesels with Hurth HSW630A 2.0:1 Trannys
        Westerbeke 8.0 BTD-614 8KW Genset
        Avon 9 ft 6 in Tender with a Tohatsu M8B 8HP outboard
        Currently moored at Stones in Nanamio, B.C.

Comment

Here are pics of the table I built. The pedestals are gas filled and lower to 14 1/2 “ to fit the seat height.
          Allan
          1986 - 3870
          175 Hinos
          Moored in Ladysmith BC

Comment

Smitty I like your setup and am looking to do something similar. Not so stuck on the ottoman thing. It would be nice to see it in action. The only drawback I see with yours is the table is permanently mounted where currently ours can slide out. Not sure if that would be an issue for me or not. We don't really have much call to remove the table.
            P/C Bob Hicks JN

Comment

Yes, it is a permanent mount.
              I see you are moored in Nanaimo, I am moored fairly close by in Ladysmith.
              if you want to see it in action, I could show you. We will be back from the desert in mid May
              Allan
              1986 - 3870
              175 Hinos
              Moored in Ladysmith BC

Comment

Originally posted by Bobhicks View Post
                I just came across this thread and read the whole thing. I have been looking for ways to make the dining area convert into a bed as our saloon has been redone and the functionality is now gone. Would really like to see all the missing pictures if you still have them. Is the ottoman mobile or fixed in place? Great job.
                The Ottoman is mobile, it just has a lip that fits over the small ledge that the bed platform used to go over, and it has a ledge on it's front side that the table top lowers into. So, it essentially just sits in place with the square "spare" cushion on it...which actually makes a really nice lounger kind of seating, with still enough room to belly up to the table to eat.

I'll see if I can dig up some more of the old pics...I might actually have a sketch too.

Cheers,
                Dave

Comment

Table pedestal, raised and lowered:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bayliner3818_TablePedestalUp.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	446.4 KB
ID:	490299Click image for larger version

Name:	Bayliner3818_TablePedestalDown.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	467.2 KB
ID:	490300

Comment

Table and Ottoman sketch with dimensions...if you take the old bed platform, it would perfectly lie on top of these two pieces (ottoman and new table combined make the exact same shape as the old bed platform).Click image for larger version  Name:	Bayliner3818_TableOttomanSketch.jpg Views:	3 Size:	28.1 KB ID:	490302

Comment

The tabletop is essentially the same size as the trapezoidal "spare"cushion, while the ottoman is the same size as the spare rectangular cushion. We leave the ottoman in place (but don't have to), and if we need to make it a bed, we simply lower the table and toss the trapezoid cushion on top.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	Bayliner3818_TablePrototype.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	490304Click image for larger version

Name:	Bayliner3818_TableWhatItWillLookLike.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	342.3 KB
ID:	490305Click image for larger version

Name:	Bay38_table_stain1.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	490306

Comment

Here's how it looks dropped down for a bed, but without the extra cushions on top. The table pedestal isn't bolted down, so we can slide that around a bit. This is MUCH easier to handle than wrestling the old stock table out of the way, then wrestling the bed platform out from behind the seats, wrestling that into place without smashing any fingers, then putting the "spare" cushions on it. (Again, we normally just leave the rectangular "spare" cushion on top of the ottoman.)

Click image for larger version  Name:	Bayliner38_TableDown1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	59.8 KB ID:	490310

With the table lowered, the left side is supported by a lip on the ottoman, the back side and right side are supported by the original lip along the seating for the old bed platform, and the center of the table is supported by the pedestal. This is considerably more solid and stable than the old bed platform that was only supported around the 3 edges.

Comment

When we raise the table and remove the trapezoid cushion (how it normally is), there's *almost* as much room for folks to sit and eat as there was at the stock odd-ball shaped table...you can comfortably fit 5 around it (6 in a squeeze), where 6 max would fit at the old odd-ball table because it's shape didn't actually match the seating. When it's just two of us, the ottoman makes the aft side of the seating really comfy, and we gained quite a bit of storage inside the ottoman.
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	Bayliner38_TableUp1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	90.4 KB ID:	490314

The seat-back cushions on the port side are sitting low in this pic because I had taken the old bed platform out of the boat (took it home with me to use as a guide)...it's back behind the seats now, so the cushions "sit right" now. The platform on the bottom of the table pedestal is pretty large, and it's heavy even though it's aluminum. It's not bolted down because I don't think we need to, and we've never had it tip over (although we did leave the table lowered during the last hurricane that hit us).

We really like this! Even with the table up, we often nap in that aft corner...plenty of room for that.

Hope this helps!
                          Dave

Comment

Smitty we are comeing to BC for the summer at the end of April and would love to see how you did it. Davesisk how many can sit around the table comfortably for dinner? Thanks for the extra pictures. We have a fold out table and when the upholstery was redone all the lips were removed. I thought there must have been lips to set the bed platform into but couldn't even find screw holes to attach them to. We are looking to return the bed functionality.
                            P/C Bob Hicks JN

Comment

Originally posted by Bobhicks View Post
                              ...Davesisk how many can sit around the table comfortably for dinner? Thanks for the extra pictures. We have a fold out table and when the upholstery was redone all the lips were removed. I thought there must have been lips to set the bed platform into but couldn't even find screw holes to attach them to. We are looking to return the bed functionality.
                              Five can sit and eat comfortably...six can fit if you don't mind being a little cozy. 2 on the aft side, 1 or 2 on the port side, and 2 on the angled bow side. And you are very welcome on the pics!

So, looking at your folding table (very nicely done, btw!), here's what immediately comes to mind for me:

1) Replace the old stock table pedestal with the one I used or the one Smitty used (based on whether you want it to be moveable or you want it bolted down...the one I used has a large enough bottom that it's stable without being bolted down....Smitty's has smaller bases [right?] and I'd assume that's why he bolted them down. You don't want a heavy table falling over underway!) The different pedestal (either type) will allow you to lower the table low enough to put a cushion on top and have it be level with the seat cushions. Pedestals that go low enough will be the most expensive part...they are not cheap (i believe mine was $800 or so).

2) Make a triangular or trapezoid-shaped "ottoman" to fit on the bow side of the opening left between the table when lowered and the angled part of the seating, with a matching cushion that makes it the same height as the seat cushions. Maybe do that such that it has a "lip" for the table edge to sit on when the table is lowered. You could leave the bottom of the ottoman open (it would be lighter weight if you wanted to move it) or make it enclosed with a door (so you gain some storage inside it). Your table looks larger than mine, so a triangular ottoman would be pretty small. [Now, I don't know your table dimensions, but if the table plus aft seat cushions total up to around 6.5 feet and you've used two bolted-down pedestals, you might not actually need a triangular piece of furniture/cushion to "fill the hole"...you'll have to take some measurements and see.]

3) Have a matching cushion made that fits the top of the table. IIRC, the seat cushions on the aft side are around 18" or so deep...so if your table is around 5' wide, just lowering the table so that it plus this table cushion is level with the seating might be big enough for a bed (in that case, you'd just need a cushion for the table top and two pedestals that will allow it to lower far enough).

Maybe 4) You might need to add some sort of "lip" back to the bench seating to support the table when lowered. (It could be just a finished piece of attractive wood across the front of the bottom sections...you'd have to figure the right dimensions given your table dimensions.) Now, if you use two pedestals bolted to the floor like Smitty did, you probably would NOT need that lip...if you used one unbolted pedestal like I did, you WOULD need that lip. You don't want the bed falling over with someone trying to sleep on it. :-)

Those few things would give you a flat platform to use as a bed...lower the table, open the leaves, and toss the cushion on top of it...easy to make or un-make the spare bed. You could move the triangular ottoman when it's not part of the bed, or leave it in place (assuming you do need it at all).

I hope I've painted a good enough mental picture for ya! It's kinda like putting a puzzle together. ;-)

Btw...I like how you did the leaves on your table...I've thought about going back and making the table I have leaved as well (I'd probably only have one fold though, since my table is a trapezoid).

Cheers,
                              Dave

Comment

Thanks for the great ideas and info. The folding is handy as in our boat the inside helm station has been removed and we now have a large flat screen there. In the evening we can fold the table leaves up and have extra room to sit and watch the tv. For meals we open it up to have our dinner close to eat comfortably. Here is a 360 degree look at Dock Holiday from the sales package when we bought her last year: https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=QVSRGcR9Re2

P/C Bob Hicks JN

Comment

• Vamonos
                                  Vamonos commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Bob. Nice 38 conversion! I will be at Stones April 9 to 12. Hope to peek in a window.
                              Working...
                              X