Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Height-adjustable table for 38xx...done! (Pics attached)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Height-adjustable table for 38xx...done! (Pics attached)

Hi folks...I'm trying to think through making an electric height-adjustable table for the seating area of my 1989 3818. Mine has the fold-out platform to turn that area into another bed, but that's a pain and there's nowhere really to stow the huge stock table while that's down.

I was thinking of possibly building a table that can lower far enough to function as the bed/lounge platform, but still be able to easily raise it to function as an actual table. Making a table top of the right shape would be a little work, but nothing too demanding even though it's an odd-ball shape.

The harder part is the base...I was thinking of perhaps using something like this...it's electric, just pull/push the lever up or down to raise or lower it:

Here are the specs...lowest height is 24.5"...does anyone know, is that low enough to align with the lip of the seats? The lip around the seats that the tabletop/platform needs to rest on in the down position is what I'm referring to. (The boat is 2.5 hours away, so it'll be a few weeks before I can go measure it.)

http://www.webofficemart.com/Product...ALEHT1CSB.aspx

Any thoughts? If anyone has that seat lip height handy it would be quite appreciated!

Cheers,

Dave
    Last edited by Jim_Gandee; 03-11-2019, 07:17 AM.

On mine, approx 14.75" to finished fiberglass seat... approx 14" to where the filler boards sit...

Comment

Thanks for the reply!

Darn it...that base won't go low enough. hmy: I'll keep looking...there's got to be a suitable base out there somewhere...maybe some sort of scissor lift might do the trick.

Cheers,

Dave

Comment

You are right. This table and sleeping area was very poorly designed.

I found the same thing with trying to find an adjustable table height. Nothing I found had the range I needed.

I ended up using two surface mounted pedastle table base supports with two lengths of posts. One for eating and one for sleeping.
        Craig
        Nanaimo bc
        1987 bayliner 3818
        w/ 175 Hinos no Genny, but solar to run everything!
        10ft Livingston with centre console and 15hp on davits / winch

Comment

Many of the later model motoryachts came with height-adjustable seats and tables. They used pedestals made by Zwaardvist. These pedestals are high quality and very stable. They have a gas strut or spring built in. To raise them you loosen the clamp and they rise on their own. To lower them you loosen the clamp and push down.

These are probably already sold, but you may want to post a wanted ad in the classified section:

http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/in...or-sale#757471

http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/in...ryachts#698503
          1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
          2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
          Anacortes, WA

Comment

Yes, i made a height adjustable table that makes down to a bed for the 38

I can e mail you pics if you messgae me your e mail

Cant seem to add my pics to this post
            Allan
            1986 - 3870
            175 Hinos
            Moored in Ladysmith BC

Comment

Smitty, messaged you my email address...thanks in advance!

Btw, you used to have a 45xx...did you downsize back to a 38xx?

Dave

Comment

Hmmm...something like this might work, although it's kinda ugly I guess I could enclose it inside some nicer looking wood: http://www.ebay.com/itm/322416860807...torefresh=true

Dave

Comment

No, I never had a 45......

Must be the other smitty
                  Allan
                  1986 - 3870
                  175 Hinos
                  Moored in Ladysmith BC

Comment

We dropped the platform in place last weekend (put the table top underneath and sat the table base off to the side)...comfy, but then kinda missed the table.

So...I'm gonna rethink this a bit. I'm now leaning toward making a structure to hold the aft-most square cushion at seat height (that's a really comfy spot to kick back, and big enough for two people), but perhaps a smaller table the same shape as the midships trapezoid-shaped cushion that can be lowered to complete a "bed". That way, we end up with some extra room that's comfy to kick back but still have a table, AND the smaller table can be lowered easily.

I'll post as I figure this out. :P

Cheers!

Dave

Comment

I'm trying to do some figuring for the last idea above...I'm 120 miles from my boat though and can't go measure the cushions tonite. Does anyone happen to have the rectangular and trapezoidal "make it a bed" cushion dimensions handy? If so, please post.

Dave

Comment

Davesisk, couple of years ago i picked up an extra zwardis (sp) mount and made a coffee table the size of the smaller filler base.... at the time my gas strut still worked so I didnt cut down my z stantion.... it failed last year and I may explore cutting down.. its stable enought to sit two people can be placed in the bar corner to sit on, or mostly just a slightly high ottoman to put your legs up if your late to TV time and get aced out the the corner spot.. When its just me and the GF we unsnap the cushion and use the little table raised up for dinner...

I stow the large table on straps above the cockpit (under the hard top) seen thelast two pix...

saloon is so much easier to use with out the full size table...

30x21 ply wood then trimmed with teak PO disposed of the other filler cushion...

Attached files

Comment

Same base and just change out the top? Awesome! It's now on the to do list.
                          P/C Pete
                          Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
                          1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
                          Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
                          1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
                          MMSI 367770440
                          1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
                          Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

Clever idea...I like. Yeah, that large table is a bit...cumbersome. It's big, it's heavy, and it's the wrong shape. :whistle: Why didn't they just make it lower far enough and the right shape? Bayliner must have gotten some package discount on a couple thousand of those tables. :P (I actually like the table, might bring mine home and use it as a dining room table...LOL. I just don't like that table in this boat's salon!)

So, sounds like the smaller "filler" cushion is 32" x 22" then.

Thanks!

Dave

Comment

Some of the table bases I've found that will go low enough (14.5" or so up to 25 - 28" or so) to drop a table top down to a bed in the 38xx:

This "crane type" moves a little to one side between raised/lowered...that could be useful if you want the tabletop to shift out or in when it's up vs down...you'd have to bolt this one down though, I believe (or perhaps bolt a larger base to it):

http://greatlakesskipper.com/springf...table-pedestal

This one is two-stage (a little under 14" to just a little over 28") and freestanding....this is ideal for what I have in my head :

https://www.marineteak.co.uk/all-ped...edestal-02-703

UPDATE: I just ordered one of these...it's inline with prices of all of these pedestals, the shipping from UK to NC, USA is very reasonable, and they only have one left currently! I'll have to cut a trapezoidal tabletop to match the trapezoidal "filler" cushion, but that shouldn't be too difficult. Since it's freestanding, I won't need to bolt it down, and can move the trapezoidal table around a little if it's too tight a fit to scoot into the seats on the midship's side. I suppose I could make the tabletop with fold-under leaves or something...but I'd rather keep it simpler to start and see how that works out. For the rectangular "filler" cushion, I'm thinking just a box (maybe made of teak or white plastic lumber) that the cushion can lie on, and a simple opening door on it...would be a great place to stow lifejackets or other similar stuff. It'll need to have a lip on the midships side that the tabletop can drop down onto when it's down.

These folks make both gas-sprung and mechanical crank-style pedestals:

http://www.tablemechanism.com/config...ems-lifts.html

There are usually plenty to choose from on Ebay....just have to make sure that they don't need you to cut a big hole in the floor for the leg to drop down into (some do). The gas-spung pedestals that will go low enough AND high enough seem to almost all be the 2 stage/3 stage type (ie. different makers seem to name them differently...2 stage usually means = they have 1 outer tube and 2 inner tubes = 3 pieces, vs just 1 outer tube and 1 inner tube).

Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X