Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On-demand hot water system on a boat-gctid790862

Hey all,

I know this is a bit of an odd thought, but I sometimes get frustrated when the admiral and kids use up all the hot water and leave me cold water for the shower. As such, I've been thinking about installing an on-demand hot water system instead of, or as a suppliment to the existing hot water tank. There only seems to be two system types that would work, one being a 220v electrical heating element and the other is a lp gas heat source like used for your BBQ. I installed an lpg in my rv and it worked out awesome... it made it so I could actually wash my rv with hot water...

Thought this is ultimately a pipe dream, probably, but I thought I'd throw the question out there... has anyone installed an on-demand hot water heater on thier boat? If so, how has it worked out?

~BJ

OMEGA

BJ
    OMEGA

A guy on our dock installed one on his sailboat, he loves it.

I think if you install it upstream of your existing water heater, the thermostat in the tankless heater would only kick in when the temp drops.

http://www.suremarineservice.com/eve...er-heater.aspx

http://www.precisiontemp.com/showerm...-water-heater/
    Joel
    1987 3818 Hino 175
    "Knotty Girl"
    Prince Rupert B.C.

Comment

Not sure if it could be adapted for permanent use, but I have an Ecco Temp portable tankless water heater. It is propane fired and I got it from Camping World, currently about $110 US, and it works as advertised.
      Jeff & Tara
      (And Ginger too)
      Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
      "GetAway"
      Cummins 4bta 250s

In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

A friend with a Meridian 540 has recently had a Hurricane hydronic heating system installed, and a hot water on demand system was a part of the installation. I haven't had the chance to check it out yet, but I'll give him a call over the weekend and report back here as soon as I find out more.
        Rob
        Bayliner 5788
        'Merlin V'
        Vancouver BC

Comment

As we spend all season on the hook somewhere, we have some experience with running out of hot water.

A couple of suggestions.

Educate each person on how to conserve how water. Wet down, shut it off, soap up and rinse.

Or take your shower first.

Or just give it a bit of time to reheat the water. The small tank may not reach full hot quickly but it will heat it enough to use only the hot water line

in a short time.

Doug
          Started boating 1955
          Number of boats owned 32
          Bayliners
          3870 presently owned
          Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

"Jeffw" post=790869 wrote:
            Not sure if it could be adapted for permanent use, but I have an Ecco Temp portable tankless water heater. It is propane fired and I got it from Camping World, currently about $110 US, and it works as advertised.
            I have one of these units as well. I have it mounted in the shower -- it hangs on the shower fixture and I have it anchored in place so that it doesn't move. As Jeff mentioned, it's not meant for permanent use/connection and is supposed to be used outdoors. I NEVER leave the propane connected to it. They work ideal as a transom shower.
            Terry
            1999 Bayliner 3388
            Twin Cummins 4BTA
            Fisherman, Cruiser, Boaticus-enthusiasticus-maximus
            Member Royal Victoria Yacht Club

Comment

BJ,

Assuming your 57 has a hydronic heater, just install a small plate heater exchanger to heat domestic water. My Espar D16 hydronic heater (16kW, ~54K BTUs) produces continuous hot water just over 5 minutes from a cold start. It's actually too hot - I added a tempering valve to mix it down to 120F.
              Mike

"Roam" - 2009 Navigator 51
              Anacortes, WA
              Prior 3888 owner

Comment

I Installed the m-550 shower mate about four years ago when the electric heater craped out. I absolutely would not have anything else now, best way to make hot water ever as far as my requirements. Looks like you have a way bigger boat though so distance to taps and use of more than one at a time might reduce your output. Maybe you could use the continuous hot water for the shower only ?
                1990 3888 Bayliner, Twin 351's

Comment

"Mike3888" post=790928 wrote:
                  BJ,

Assuming your 57 has a hydronic heater, just install a small plate heater exchanger to heat domestic water. My Espar D16 hydronic heater (16kW, ~54K BTUs) produces continuous hot water just over 5 minutes from a cold start. It's actually too hot - I added a tempering valve to mix it down to 120F.
                  Thanks for the idea , Mike...

Omega has a 20kw webasto system... ill have to check into it and see what I can do...

BJ

OMEGA

BJ
                  OMEGA

Comment

Working...
                  X