Teach us about trolling valves-gctid790478

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teach us about trolling valves-gctid790478

For my 4588 when she wants to troll, I go to one engine and just idle the other. It ends up still being a pretty fast troll. I try the bump and glide method, she's not had much success when I try that.

In another thread there was a comment about "trolling valves".

What are these, how do they work, would they work without damaging my Hino's

Thanks!
    Yep, my 4588 Bayliner IS my happy place :whistle:

There are certainly more qualified experts than me, but I've been reading about these lately. It's basically a valve which allows some fluid to bipass the plates in your transmission and allows them to slip. The engine continues at normal RPMs but the prop shaft spins slower. They are meant for low speed trolling, but not recommended for docking (taking the boat in/out of gear can harm the plates. Its is also not recommended to use them beyond 800RPMs.

Won't harm your engine at all -- can wear your transmission if they aren't used correctly. Not all transmissions are fitted for them.
    Terry
    1999 Bayliner 3388
    Twin Cummins 4BTA
    Fisherman, Cruiser, Boaticus-enthusiasticus-maximus
    Member Royal Victoria Yacht Club

Comment

Trolling valves essentially bypass transmission fluid pressure that is used to hold clutch plates together. By having less pressure, they essentially slip. It's like double-clutching a truck transmission. If done right and allowed to cool from time to time they don't hurt the transmission. You need good transmission fluid cooling, but they can be used safely.

I don't have them on my boat, but I run on one engine and can get slowed to about 2 kts with a low idle.
      Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

I asked a couple of commercial fishermen friends about trolling valves. When they heard I have 110 Hinos and Hurth transmissions one said use a troll board, kind of like a dagger board but perpendicular to the center line, and adjust up and down for desired speed. The other said he used to drag buckets with a few one inch holes in the bottoms. More buckets, less speed. Both are not very attractive to use but apparently they work. Very low tech, not much to go wrong. Wouldn't care to have them on a nice looking boat though.

Greg
        Newport, Oregon
        South Beach Marina
        1986 3270 with twin 110 HP Hino diesels. Name of boat "Mr. Darcy"
        Past work history: Prototyping, tooling, and repair for Reinell,. General fiberglass boat repair starting in 1976.
        Also worked as heavy equipment mechanic, and machinery mechanic for over 30 years.

Comment

After realizing how fast my 3818 idles I looked into a trolling valve, then quickly looked for other solutions. What some guys are using, and I'm going to get are two of these: https://amishoutfitters.com/catalog/...86ba98b319cc7f

I'm going to have to play a fish a bit longer while the crew gets them out of the way, but it looks like a winner for me. When I was growing up, a long time ago, my dad made some trolling boards out of 3/4" plywood and fit then to our Fairliner. They worked pretty well, not great, just pretty well. That is until dad got really pissed off about something and yanked up the tackle and headed for home....with the boards down. Tore up the swim ste a little before the board snapped while he was ranting about the boat not running right. Btw, there were no trim tabs on the Fairliner to have to work around.

One thing for sure is Glauben is going to get a bunch of trial before the summer salmon runs. The Admiral loves fresh caught salmon, and I get to go out in the boat.
          P/C Pete
          Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
          1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
          Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
          1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
          MMSI 367770440
          1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
          Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

If you have hurth (ZF) trannys you just change valve body to one with trolling valve and add set of handles and cabel to control speed (amount of slip) won't harm anything and tranny operates normally when the valve is closed. At idle, trolling valve can reduce prop rotation all the way to zero, so you can adjust trolling speed very accurately.

Comment

Working...
            X