Deck Leaks in Pilot House 47-gctid394075

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deck Leaks in Pilot House 47-gctid394075

HELP! Our new (to us) pilothouse 47 is in Florida and we have some serious rain coming down. We have water pouring in from our overhead lights in the port salon valance. I have looked over the deck fittings and house/bridge caulking, and all looks fine. Now we are also having some leaking at the aft end of the stbd valance too. We are getting ready to leave the boat for the summer and can't leave it this way. Has anyone had these types of leaks in a 47? Any help would be appreciated.

Gary, search 4788 leaks and there are several threads that should assist. One possible, check if there is any sealant around where the davit attaches to the upstand. I found water was running down behind the top side where it attaches to the wall. It can then leak into the skins around the flybridge drain. Even though the drain is sealed it leaks around the inside screw thread fitting. If you havent already done so unscrew the roof inspection cover in the cockpit and take out the rear speaker inside the door. That gives better access. Good luck.
    John H
    Brisbane QLD Aust
    "Harbor-nating"

2000 - 4788/Cummins 370's

Comment

This a common problem with 4788,s. The radar arch is usually the culprit. You have to check it over thorughly for possable places where watr could get in...all over top , bottom, fittings, ariel coax entry points are all possable.

It all ends up dripping out the lights down aft in the salon.

Good Luck
      Horizon 68
      Sydney

Comment

Thanks for the two suggestions and the reminder to check the past postings on leaks. However, my leak isn't coming from the usual culprit - the arch. The major leak (think using a bucket) is in the galley, apparantly coming from forward. I have caulked the entire arch, the flybridge drains, and the venturi windscreen. And it keeps pouring in. There is a bead of caulk on top of the aluminum strip running around the pilothouse and the topside to flybridge joint. I don't know about the screws, but I can't think that volume would come in through tightened screws.

I have taken down the port valence and can see that the water is coming out between the flange where the flybridge is fastened and the wood above it that is used to staple the headliner. I have been over the boat with a magnifying glass and can'e see anything. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Galley leak-check the gutter drains at rear of the pilot house steps-in the deep trough behind the doors. Ours leaked into top shelf to port of stove in galley-and into the top front drawer there. Getting that drain cover out is a bitch. I found no hose leak there. I was unable to get all screws out and had to drill broken ones out. Then I reset it with 3M 5200 and it still leaked. Finally solved it with Capt Tulleys see below:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...S%20&TypeAhead

From what I know now I would have Captain Tulleys at all the hull fittings on the leak side including fuel fill before removing them-and hope for the best before disassembly. Just keep adding coats of Captain Tulleys until you have about 10 of them. Put it all around the fittings and into the screw/screw holes from the top. I did it two days in a row, the Captain Tulleys dries pretty fast but new coatings seem to melt the last one.

Valance leaks at rear of salon likey come from either the fittings at the drain at the rear of the bridge or at base of radar arch. These drains are accessed via the access port in upper top corners of cockpit. They are oblong oval and about 8 inches by 4 inches-by the upper rear deck cockpit lights. The problem is usually loose nuts on through-hulls or hoses/clamps

Second place to seal up is the bottom of the arch. this only leaked on our 47 when you had a real hard, real hard rain, wind assisted. Fill that gap at base of the arch on front, back and side with 3M5200. Some have determined water comes in at wire passages on deck of bridge at base of bridge/arch. I fixed this area but it did not solve my leak issue. The filled gap around of the base of the arch did it.

Both of these are easy fixes. Except getting wrists cut via the access ports to fix leaks in drain at rear of bridge.

A few have found leaks where davit hoist attaches to bridge.
          Started boating 1965
          Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply. My galley leak isn't from the drains behind the pilothouse door as yours were, as they are dripping into the valence. I have dropped the valence at the galley end and can see the water is coming in between the horizontal fiberglass flange from the flybridge and a strip of wood where the vinal from the headliner is stapled. It is coming in for about two feet from the forward end. Water is also coming in down the inside of the vinal cover that runs between the windows and the stove area. This is a significant amount of water. We are in S/W Florida and are getting serious downpours, so it is a good test. But not too good for fixing anything.

I have read everything on the site about deck leaks, and have caulked the access places on the arch, the flybridge deck drains, the davit, etc. The caulking around the base of the arch looks complete with no gaps. I will check on the davit controls when it stops raining enough. But this has to be something big based on the amount of water. It will fill the cups with a quart in twenty minutes during a strong downpour.

Comment

gary webster wrote:
              Thanks for the two suggestions and the reminder to check the past postings on leaks. However, my leak isn't coming from the usual culprit - the arch. The major leak (think using a bucket) is in the galley, apparantly coming from forward. I have caulked the entire arch, the flybridge drains, and the venturi windscreen. And it keeps pouring in. There is a bead of caulk on top of the aluminum strip running around the pilothouse and the topside to flybridge joint. I don't know about the screws, but I can't think that volume would come in through tightened screws.

I have taken down the port valence and can see that the water is coming out between the flange where the flybridge is fastened and the wood above it that is used to staple the headliner. I have been over the boat with a magnifying glass and can'e see anything. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
              Check and reseal the mounting for the running light on the pilothouse. This is easy to do and was a source of a similar leak we had. Also re-caulk your aluminum rain gutters on the pilothouse as well.

Hope that helps!
              1994 4788

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will have to wait until Debby the storm moves out to do any caulking. I will try the running lights and both the alluminum rain gutters on the cabin side and pilothouse. I am leaving the boat Wed. morning, so may have to resort to professionals. I can't leave it like this. I appreciate all the information. As usual, BOC is a great help.

Gary

Comment

gary webster wrote:
                  Thanks for all the suggestions. I will have to wait until Debby the storm moves out to do any caulking. I will try the running lights and both the alluminum rain gutters on the cabin side and pilothouse. I am leaving the boat Wed. morning, so may have to resort to professionals. I can't leave it like this. I appreciate all the information. As usual, BOC is a great help.

Gary
                  If it were my boat I would try to at least tape over the top of the rain gutters to see if that slows the flow. I would think even in the rain you should be able to use some thick masking tape and with an umbrella, dry a bit, tape a bit, etc. Build a little slope from fiberglass above to outside of gutterso the rain does not go under the gutter. You could also tape the bases of the running light on the radar arch with at least masking tape. I recommend masking tape as it will come off easy if you use blue or green masking tape.
                  Started boating 1965
                  Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

Comment

Hello Gary,

I am sorry to respond late as I see you have probably already left. Seeing all the posts re 4788 leaks I had to add my 2 c .

I have a 2001 4788 and have chased my share of cabin leaks. As you can see from the below posts there are lots of possible areas to recaulk and this takes time and weather.

To get a quick fix AND to experiment exactly where your leaks are comming from you can tape over your problem areas as mentioned, to see if that is actually your problem, and get relief from the incomming rain and dry out. It also serves as a temperorary / permanent solution till you can get back to the boat in the right weather to recaulk. I have left shrinkwrap tape on for a full season on the Radar arch trims ( 4 lines of tape 100% installed from port to stbd on each side of the aluminum angle trim ) and was sucessful in understanding that leak, but it took a couple of hours the following season to clean off the glue. The white color of the tape blends with the color of your boat so you have to look to see it, and it is forgiving in wet applications.

The tape comes in different width and I use 2" White Heat Shrink Tape to chase leaks. ( note we do not get your heat here in Montreal Canada....but our season is short so this is a good fix till off season)....Perhaps the preservation tape... 10mil-backed tape with UV inhibitors, would be better for you.

http://www.dr-shrink.com/tape

Hope this helps

Pete

Comment

we had the same water leak and found the water coming in from the seams from the fly bridge radio cabinet and then the water ran down the electric wires into the inside wall and down the valence light wires .

Comment

I too suffered from water running out of the valance lights on both sides near the stern of the salon. In the end, I tracked it down to the front flybridge drains being poorly installed. One is under the starboard bench and the other in the radio cabinet. I ended up taking off the interior ceiling panels to confirm the problem. With the water coming in for a long time, it rotted the wood on the starboard inside where the drians penitrate the fiberglass. With the wood turning to black mush, there was no longer any compression to hold the drain thru hull in place. I had to replace the wood inside and reseat the drain thru hull. I was able to seal up the port drain inside the radio cabinet with 3M 5200 when it dried up enough for the product to adhere. My salon is no dripless.

Good luck

Carlo

Comment

so how did you remove the ceiling panels ? and how do you remove the valence which contains the 12 v lights?

Comment

Working...
                          X