740 s-gctid392651

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

740 s-gctid392651

Any one out there have a Garmin 740s, and if so how do you like it.

I have one on the flybridge, and love it. Once you go touch screen, you will never go back. The only downside is that the 740 is not network-able. If you think you will ever build a Garmin network of devices, start with something that is network compatable. I think all Garmin model numbers that are 4 digits are network compatable. The 740 series is the GAP between network units and non network units. As a stand alone with a transducer, its a great unit.

Rick

PS, I do not work for Garmin, or hold any stock

Comment

I got one. It is absolutely daylight viewable even in the brightest sunlight. I have the one with the self contained gps antenna so all it needs is a power source (a cigarette lighter). I ran the boat from NJ to the FL Keys with no hitches. All the charts are there. I do has the "s" version bot never hooked up the sounder. It just a great chart plotter. I don't work for them either.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. Doe's any one out there have a 740s with the fish finder hooked up? If so any thoughts?

Comment

roelze wrote:
          I have one on the flybridge, and love it. Once you go touch screen, you will never go back. The only downside is that the 740 is not network-able. If you think you will ever build a Garmin network of devices, start with something that is network compatable. I think all Garmin model numbers that are 4 digits are network compatable. The 740 series is the GAP between network units and non network units. As a stand alone with a transducer, its a great unit.

Rick

PS, I do not work for Garmin, or hold any stock
          Agree with Rick in that the network capability of the larger Garmin units is a big plus. I had a Garmin 640 (predecessor to the 740 but w/o the capability of adding radar). It was a great plotter - visible in daylight, easy to use, etc. - but I could never get used to the touch screen. Found it near impossible to navigate the plotter while the boat was bouncing around. So I sold it on craigslist and put the money towards a Garmin 4010. I've since networked in the high-def radar, AIS, VHF, and NMEA 2000 depth/temp transducer. About to add an engine room camera and a second plotter.
          Evan
          2001 Bayliner 4788 "Fifty / Fifty II"
          League City, TX

Comment

Working...
          X