Navionics, me likee-gctid392503

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Navionics, me likee-gctid392503

I picked up a lightly used "Le Pan 970" off Ebay, which is an android tablet identical in size to an Ipad. So for $100 + $9.99 I have a perfectly capable GPS system that I can move between stations and it has a nice big screen. Yeah, I'm on a lake but it's a really big lake and it's super handy. Using my cell phone as an internet hotspot, I have free internet for the thing as well, so even more important than the GPS, the Admiral can update her facebook. One thing to mention - you buy Navionics once and can use it on multple devices which is totally cool.

Ice, a couple questions.

That tablet is GPS enabled and you can download a tablet Navionics app that will allow you to navigate on the lake with a realtime display?

Also, if you were only using the GPS driven Navionics app on the tablet, I would assume there would no monthly charge whatsoever?

Thanks a lot.

Comment

Good questions, ones that I had to research. This particular unit has built in GPS (the reason I got it) and does not require internet or any form of cellular. I am reasonably sure (someone will correct me) that all Ipads have GPS. The main thing for me was the price of the Ipad. Navionics is on the google play store and works perfectly on the tablet and my phone, which makes a nice backup. I don't want to invest in expensive marine hardware, and I have two steering stations.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Le-Pan-II-8-...item3f18a7601b

This is the second version of the tablet, and probably a better choice if you want the latest version of Android etc. The tablet is gorgeous construction with an aluminum case. I could really care less about that, and simply wanted a cheap GPS....and of course have to fight my wife and daughter for it because they love playing games on it.

Comment

Thanks, you got a great deal!

Comment

iPads that are only wifi do not have the gps chip. I found out the hard way. iPads that are wifi+3G are the key. It doesnt cost to use when using the app. Well worth the $$$ for the Navionics app
          James
          Kai Nani, Redondo Beach, CA
          1989 MY 3288
          Hino 150hp with Hurth 630A Trannies

Comment

Agreed with James. IPads must be either AT&T or Verizon ready in order to have GPS. You don't have to activate a data plan, but the GPS antenna is part of the cellular antenna chipset. The Wi-Fi only iPad doesn't receive GPS and won't work. With Verizon's new bucket plan I think I'll be able to activate my iPad for just $10.00 per month. At least, that's what the press releases say... I'll find out at the end of the month when the plans are available.

I bought the ten dollar Navionics for my Android tablet over a year ago. When I bought the iPad I had to pay $49 for the "Hi-Def" (or was it Hi-Res?) Navionics package for the iPad. Even so, very cool and very nice.

Rob

Comment

I had a spare 10" netbook PC laying around, so I ordered a USB GPS receiver for it from Amazon for $27, and downloaded the free open source navigation software OpenCPN. Downloadable raster and vector charts are free from NOAA. The system works great.

Comment

Thanks for the info on the Ipads guys, and great point on the GPS for computer add on. I actually have one of those USB thingers laying around; I toyed with a laptop. I ended up liking the tablet better for simplicity, battery life and the touch screen.

Comment

Ice, when you get set up and are using your new tablet, I hope you'll post how it works out for you on the water.

Comment

Tried it last weekend, works like a charm. I already had it on my phone and was familar with the software. There are many experienced users on the forum that can probably help answer questions too. Any android tablet that 1) has GPS and 2) can access the Google Play store will work.

Comment

Excellent! Glad to hear it. I feel an out of pocket expense coming on.

Comment

If your Android tablet is version 3.0 operating system or newer, the only option available now is Navionics HD. Price jumped to $50 for entire US and Canada. Tailored specifically for tablets 7" and larger, it's supposed to have higher resolution and interfaces for tablets. I've loaded it, but haven't tried it on the water yet. As one reviewer said, they're getting very good at changing the name of their applications so you have to buy them all over again...

$50 is steep, but still a screaming deal compared to any other touch-screen navigation.

Comment

ah-ha. Clearly we have been buying too much of this product at $9.99.

Comment

update..I was using the program yesterday and it would not work until I connected to the internet to "check the license". First time that has happened and semi annoying. What if I didn't have access to the internet...no likee.

Comment

iceclimber wrote:
                              update..I was using the program yesterday and it would not work until I connected to the internet to "check the license". First time that has happened and semi annoying. What if I didn't have access to the internet...no likee.
                              Not sure how Android works but on my ipad I have ability to save the chart of choice, I no longer need wifi then, just use my gps ...so chartlplotter works fine.I crossed the straits in the fog here in the pnw using my first edition pad as a chart plotter gps. Check to see if you can save chart, I bet ya can, or would think ya could.Brad

Comment

Working...
                              X