No announcement yet.

Heating/AC New installation questions 4788-gctid760739

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ahh, I see your point. Nothing off the shelf exists.

The good folks at Sure Marine have the nessasary parts to convert a stock unit.
    Mike

"Roam" - 2009 Navigator 51
    Anacortes, WA
    Prior 3888 owner

Comment

We have 2 Espar forced air on our 4788 that the PO installed.

One zone does the pilothouse and Salon and the other is each stateroom and both heads. We do spend a lot of time on our boat even in the winter and for the week or two that the temps 5-10 degrees below zero (Celcius) I get up in the morn and turn the heaters on and the boat is warm in 5 minutes and then I just find that sweet spot on the thermostat to keep us at a comfortable temp.

It is great when I get up in the cold winter days , turn on the heat and jump in the shower and when I get out of the shower the head is toasty warm too. A good start to the day haha

These two have been perfect for us.

Cheers,

Mark

Comment

We have hydronic, when done right you can use the engine heat while running to make the heat for the system, very nice to keep Windows defrosted on cold rainy days. Nice that it heats the domestic hot water, slower to warm up then forced air but is very effective at lower fan speeds (less noise) once the boat is warm.
        Partner in a 1999 4788

Seattle, WA

Comment

We have a 1999 -4788

Our system was upgraded in August 2013 in Seattle

The manual is on the boat and I'm at home.I believe

it is called Model 2010 Webasto (Hydronic) I am quite sure it

is 45000BTU .We have controls in salon (two vents ,one under

each sofa) ,in each stateroom and the wheelhouse ,with fans to defrost

windows.We also have heat exchangers plumbed so the furnace heats

hot water. The PO had a much smaller unit before (which died and was removed)

but all vents were installed and we used them .All our parts came from Sure

marine in Seattle and install was done by Jeff Owen at Yacht Systems Northwest

who can be reached at 206-571-3916.

If you go with Webasto make sure installer has a "gooseneck" in exhaust so if a little

water enters it won't get to the burner .Also Sure Marine has a "cap" you can attach if

you cross the gulf in bad weather or you are washing the boat etc as an extra precaution.

The unit is all you need for a 4788 in terms of heat but sometimes i will use the electric

heaters as I need a load when running the genny to charge batteries .Also make sure your system

includes an "overflow" container as not all do. That is just a plastic bottle to collect coolant as it gets

gets hot (like your genny and mains have) The system isn't cheap but it works great.

When we installed thruster recently .North Harbor Diesel had to install a smaller fan in master

stateroom as the original unit interfered with thruster motor.

Comment

Thanks guys!

I'm going to go with hydronic. What I'm trying to figure out about the hydronic heaters is can they be reversed to get a/c or is that yet another type of system? Sorry if that seems like a dumb question. For ac I'm not looking to make the boat 70 on a 90 degree day just trying to take the edge off so I'd probably only run one maybe two zones (certainly not the one in the flybridge).

Pete who installed your system?

Thanks again

Derek
            Family Boater
            1997 Bayliner 4788 w/330 Cummins - Phoenix
            (past) 1987 Bayliner 3218 w/135 Hino - True Story

Comment

Hi Derek,

I have a Webasto forced air furnace on my 3788, but I spent a bit of time on a friend's Fleming 55 with a Hurricane hydronic system and was quite impressed. Checke these out: http://itrheat.com/products/hurricane-heating-systems/#
              1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
              2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
              Anacortes, WA

Comment

Josh McPhearson at McPhearson marine. Did a great job.

Comment

On my 32xx I used a Flagship Marine unit. What I like about their unit is that it has all commonly used parts with home units in including Thermostats!! I use a round Honeywell unit that I got from a Big Box store. I have used units that are reverse-cycle, they will by their nature put out more BTU heat than the ratted BTU cool. I went with an electric heating coil, that way I don't need water to run the unit. So on a cool spring day when I am on the hard, with a portable genie, I can warm the boat to do winter projects!

Also go as large a BTU unit you can Fit /Afford. Boats have more volume than you think and are not insulated at all. plus older boats were not designed with HVAC instillation or distribution in mind.

Comment

We have the Model 2010 Webasto in our 4788 also. We have three zones on thermostats #1 is the salon with vents on each end of the settee, #2 is the master stateroom/master bath with a vent in the stateroom and one in the bath room (important for winter boating!), #3 the thermostat is in the guest room with vents in the guest room and the guest head. And last we have several blowers in the pilothouse hooked up to the loop with three manual speeds, great for defrosting the windows. It seems to be plenty of heat for boating at 32F, the temp comes up fast in the salon and pilothouse and easily keeps it warm. At the dock I have tried to keep the salon warm with the electric in the salon and companionway running full time and it never gets quite warm enough, the diesel furnace heats it up quick!

A PO installed it and the only thing I don't like is they re plumbed the domestic hot water to heat only off of the Webasto or electric. So the engines won't heat domestic hot water. So when you cruise all day in the summer you don't heat any water with the mains. In my mind the perfect system would have heat exchangers and be designed to heat the boat and the domestic water using either the furnace or a main. The furnace is installed athwartship dead center at the aft end of the engine room.
                    Partner in a 1999 4788

Seattle, WA

Comment

A PO installed it and the only thing I don't like is they re plumbed the domestic hot water to heat only off of the Webasto or electric. So the engines won't heat domestic hot water
                      Webasto offer a heat exchanger which allows hot water to be heated by one of the engines.

In my Webasto manual they describe it as follows;

Part # 005-225 Size 2" x 24" SJ All Copper Heat Exchanger

"FREE HEAT" from your fresh water cooled engine.

All Copper construction complete with hose spuds and mounting brackets

Approximate 40,000 BTU heat transfer to your heating system, also can be

used to pre-heat your engine.

I suggest you contact Sure Marine Service at 206-784-9903. Those guys are really helpful.
                      Rob
                      Bayliner 5788
                      'Merlin V'
                      Vancouver BC

Comment

"MerlinV" post=790811 wrote:
                        A PO installed it and the only thing I don't like is they re plumbed the domestic hot water to heat only off of the Webasto or electric. So the engines won't heat domestic hot water
                        Webasto offer a heat exchanger which allows hot water to be heated by one of the engines.

In my Webasto manual they describe it as follows;

Part # 005-225 Size 2" x 24" SJ All Copper Heat Exchanger

"FREE HEAT" from your fresh water cooled engine.

All Copper construction complete with hose spuds and mounting brackets

Approximate 40,000 BTU heat transfer to your heating system, also can be

used to pre-heat your engine.

I suggest you contact Sure Marine Service at 206-784-9903. Those guys are really helpful.
                        I also had a Webasto on my 4788 and added zone controls, digital stats, and upgraded heat exchangers. Sure Marine is the goto place for Webasto systems, service, parts, and accessories.

My boiler was located in the port side of the cockpit with the exhaust out the port side hull. The reservoir tank was inside the fly bridge settee.

Each digital stats controlled the fans for its zone and the main circulate pump,

On a winter trip to Princess Louisa, with snow/ice on the decks for a week, the boat stayed toasty inside.

Comment

Great subject and all new to me.

I have a question regarding fuel source for a forced air unit?

Do they use propane or can they be fueled by diesel?
                          2001 Bayliner 4788, Cummins 370's
                          Zodiac Yachtline 380, Yamaha 25hp
                          Sanger wakeboard boat
                          volunteer CA Delta tour guide

Comment

Most heating systems are Diesel, as are the Webasto units.

Gas is bad enough on a boat, I would not want propane.

Comment

Working...
                            X