When is it too good... Perfect 2000 4788 with very low hours.-gctid760497

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

When is it too good... Perfect 2000 4788 with very low hours.-gctid760497

Hi Folks. I'm a long time boater, current boat is a 4387 which I love. Its gas and I boat in the Sacramento Delta so within 20 miles I can find great stuff to do so I don't travel a lot. If i go diesel, heading to SF and even costal would be a new option for me. My neighbor has a 2000 4788 he is offering me, and its new... I mean spotless and new in every way. He has it serviced regularly and at least 2x a year starts things, checks batts etc and about once a year it goes out for a few hours. It has less than 200 hours on it! I have heard that low hours are sometimes as bad as very high hours so i'm trying to understand what issues I might face. I love the boat. Price will be about $200k, not bad for that year, and if there are no mechanical issues, its a new boat! Thoughts? Cummins of course.
  • smitty477
    Guru
    • Mar 2007

Hello Jim,

I thought we were the only ones that ever towed a Sea Doo Explorer - ours was 13'

This question....

".I have heard that low hours are sometimes as bad as very high hours so i'm trying to understand what issues I might face. I love the boat. Price will be about $200k, not bad for that year, and if there are no mechanical issues, its a new boat! Thoughts? Cummins of course"

Sounds easy but its not, from the internet and not seeing the boat there are only lists we can provide.

A 16 year old boat with low hours....

- can the main engines reach rated rpm +3-5% as a brief test at WOT

- Have the aftercoolers been serviced

- Risers/elbows on mains and genset

- Coolers, fuel , trans, oil, etc

- All hoses and belts

- Raw water pumps replaced

- Turbos inspected

- Valves etc adjusted

- All exposed soft goods: canvas, clears, seats etc

- Davit and windlass work well

- Waste system and hoses

- Cutlass bearings

- SeaCocks free and serviced

- All through hulls ready

- A/C units changed and clean

- Hot water heater replaced

- All pumps working (about ten I think)

- Electronics to your liking

- All trim tabs working

This is a start for a boat with low hours but 16 years old.

Good luck - hope this helps
    Northport NY

Comment

It does. I was just reading the thread below on the 2001 with 300 hrs and virtually identical issues and info. I have a good friend who is a cummins mechanic so he will be there to take a look... Love the WOT comments, easy first test!

Oh yes, fresh water and under cover it whole life, washed every week (so I guess I need to look for those pesky leaks) and from the original owner too...

Thank You!!!

Jim

Comment

Working...