vacuflush preventative maint-gctid346567

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

vacuflush preventative maint-gctid346567

What preventative maint should we be performing on our vacuflush systems.

What spare parts are reasonable to carry onboard. For example would it be prudent to carry a spare complete j series vacume generator?

What about spares for the toilets themselves?

Mine work fine right now, but routine maintainance is the key to reducing unanticipated failures.

Thanks

KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
    www.transferswitch4less.com

where are we right now?

https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

The spare Vacuflush materials I keep on-hand is Sealand toilet paper rolls.

The best tool to have on-hand is a plunger. This tool has fixed mine and has fixed many other failed Vacuflush systems. Pressure down stroke, tip to the side to break the seal, lift plunger then repeat.

The best practice is to only flush human waste, acceptable toilet paper and nothing else.

On my system I periodically fill the bowl with water and flush that slug of water to keep the system clear.

On my system I periodically scrub the inside of the holding tank and periodically disassemble and clean my vacuum generator.

My opinion is that this is a decent system.

Comment

The vacuflush in the 2000 models had a recalled pedal part which is described here: http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/fo...ight=Vacuflush
      1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Comment

Before lay ups run a full bowl of clear water and then put some water in the bowl with the system turned off (no vacuum) to help keep the ball seal moist.

Comment

boat_dr wrote:
          Before lay ups run a full bowl of clear water and then put some water in the bowl with the system turned off (no vacuum) to help keep the ball seal moist.
          You're in Washington, right? Can't do this where it freezes.

Comment

How about with antifreeze? The potable water system stuff.
            1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Comment

A complete vacuum generator would probably be a bit extreme, but here's what we carry as spares on our 490 (also carried these on the 4087)

4 - duckbill valves

1 - spring cartridge (for pedal)

1 - water valve

1 - bowl to base seal kit (2 seals)

2 - Bowl seal cleaners (looks like a course emery board)

1 - Uniseal for top of vacuum generator

On the face of it, a vacuum tester is also a little over the top, but sure is a worthwhile investment if you are chasing a vacuum leak, and it will pay for itself on time saving alone. I don't personally own one, but have a friend that does.

I echo previous comments regarding using marine TP - no doubt many folks use domestic single or 2-ply without issues, but if you have ever had to unblock a system, the few cents saved are suddenly just not worth it.

One other thing I do is to use a heat gun when tightening hose connections - hoses don't need to be at melting point, but gives a much greater chance of sealing when they are softer.
              Rob
              Bayliner 5788
              'Merlin V'
              Vancouver BC

Comment

Always use single ply toilet paper.

Comment

How about one of these? The wife loves the warm seat.

http://www.amazon.com/Brondell-S1000.../dp/B0045UB9HE

Comment

my boat sits for months unused, so we make sure there is water in the bowl and add a squirt of handsoap to the water....keeps the seal wet and the soap acts as a lubricant for the seal....(advice came from a company rep)

Comment

wingless wrote:
                      The spare Vacuflush materials I keep on-hand is Sealand toilet paper rolls.

The best tool to have on-hand is a plunger. This tool has fixed mine and has fixed many other failed Vacuflush systems. Pressure down stroke, tip to the side to break the seal, lift plunger then repeat.
                      The funny thing is that a Masters in Computational Fluid Dynamics doesn't cover the practical operation of a plunger...

Comment

Working...
                      X