Can(39)t Identify this Thruhull-gctid759678

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can(39)t Identify this Thruhull-gctid759678

I am having a hard time identifying this thru hull in the center of the picture. This is the hatch in the floor, below the oven in a 1987 3818. This thru hull has a grounding wire to it, but that's all. Could it have been used at one point in the boats life? It looks to be the age of the other thru hulls. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Gary Tryhorn

1987 Bayliner 3818
    175 Hinos

That is interesting.

Your others have a valve on them to control flow yet that one does not.

Just a hunch but I am guessing that one was added after-the-fact. Or it is original and a PO removed the valve and added that hardware to cap it off.
    Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
    1998 3055 Ciera
    (yes, a 1998)
    Previous boat: 1993 3055
    Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
    Sea Doo XP
    Sea Doo GTI SE
    Life is short. Boats are cool.
    The family that plays together stays together.
    Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Comment

I'm gonna take a really wild guess........I believe the white hoses in the pic are black waste hoses and there is a valve in the pic. Based on proximity to the waste hoses, could a previous owner had an underwater waste discharge with a valve shutoff that has been removed and capped? The waste is now pumped only into waste tank and is pumped out only at pumpout? Wild guess.

Comment

"fulltiltron" post=759698 wrote:
        I'm gonna take a really wild guess........I believe the white hoses in the pic are black waste hoses and there is a valve in the pic. Based on proximity to the waste hoses, could a previous owner had an underwater waste discharge with a valve shutoff that has been removed and capped? The waste is now pumped only into waste tank and is pumped out only at pumpout? Wild guess.
        I'd say that's a pretty damn good guess, especially considering the break in the white hose.
        Jeff & Tara
        (And Ginger too)
        Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
        "GetAway"
        Cummins 4bta 250s

In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

I think fulltiltron is spot on here. But do get it removed and install a blind cap next time you take the boat out of the water.
          1995 Bayliner 2452
          Alpha 1 Gen II
          2016 - 5.7 Vortec 4BBL
          Full Closed Cooling

Comment

"fulltiltron" post=759698 wrote:
            Gross, but probably spot on. It would explain the mend in the sanitation pipe. With that said, it looks like there is standard hose being used for the sanitation system. And with that coupler attaching the two sections that can cause a clog or at the very least "stuff" to stay there. If you are getting any type of smell those could be the reasons and you may want to consider replacing the hoses. A good way to test if they are permeated with sewage smell is to place a wet rad on the hoses, let it sit for 15 minutes and see if the rag smells. If so, it is time the replace the sanitation lines.
            Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
            1998 3055 Ciera
            (yes, a 1998)
            Previous boat: 1993 3055
            Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
            Sea Doo XP
            Sea Doo GTI SE
            Life is short. Boats are cool.
            The family that plays together stays together.
            Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Comment

Most of you young pups never saw that older boats all had direct flush heads into the water . Obviously that is it... When I fished with my grandpa, he would flush grass shrimp and be the only boat on the flats catching fluke and flounder ...

I would use that thru hull and hook up a water wash down pump...
              Doug ;}
              MMSI: 338068776
              "Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

sigpic

Comment

Good idea on the raw water wash down use for that thruhulls, but if boat in water, have the seacock valve and tools but at the ready and prepped with tape or other thread sealant. That underwater discharge opening is fairly large and will probably get the adrenalin going pretty good

Comment

Thanks everyone. I think next time I pull the boat out of the water, I will put a on/off valve on the thru hull and keep it as a spare. The PO installed a washdown pump, teeing into the generator water pickup. It is very hard to look at all of the plumbing lines and trace where they go. A plumbing line schematic for a 38 would be extremely valuable to a newbie like me.
                  1987 Bayliner 3818
                  175 Hinos

Comment

Our 38 has the same capped thru hull, and the same splice in the hose.

Many boats here still have underwater sewage discharge. Many communities up the north coast have no pump out stations. Our nearest one is over 100 miles away across Hecate Straight.
                    Joel
                    1987 3818 Hino 175
                    "Knotty Girl"
                    Prince Rupert B.C.

Comment

Maybe the underwater discharge was a factory option, based on original delivery location? My son's 42 Chris has underwater discharge and a holding tank with deck pumpout fitting. It kind of freaks me out that one should be mindful of that underwater seacock position. His is in the v berth compartment bilge, and underway the force of water trying to enter the boat there must be incredible. He makes sure it's closed and only opens it far offshore and activates the discharge macerator thru that fitting. I would prefer discharge above the waterline.

Comment

"fulltiltron" post=759964 wrote:
                        Maybe the underwater discharge was a factory option, based on original delivery location? My son's 42 Chris has underwater discharge and a holding tank with deck pumpout fitting. It kind of freaks me out that one should be mindful of that underwater seacock position. His is in the v berth compartment bilge, and underway the force of water trying to enter the boat there must be incredible. He makes sure it's closed and only opens it far offshore and activates the discharge macerator thru that fitting. I would prefer discharge above the waterline.
                        Most underwater discharge thru hulls on Bayliners were at the cwsterline. Would make good saltwster washdown, watermaker input, etc.
                        Started boating 1965
                        Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

Comment

Working...
                        X