Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

32xx with Hinos Fuel Issue Solved or NOT???-gctid391446

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    32xx with Hinos Fuel Issue Solved or NOT???-gctid391446

    I have been chasing a fuel problem on my starboard tank for years now...

    Symptoms: When running for 30 minutes or more in rough seas the starboard engine would loose RPM and eventually die.

    Previous Solution: The solution was to change the Racor filter.

    Hypothesis: I have always attributed the issue to a dirty tank that gets all mixed up in heavy seas, quickly clogging filters. I was hoping, eventually, I would filter out the bad. Well, 4 years later and lots of Racors the issue always presents itself in sloppy seas.

    New Development: Last week it happened, I took the dirty filter home, ripped it apart to find a clean element. So, I installed one of those $3.00 inline clear plastic filters so I can see the flow and possible clogging right at the tank feed pickup. Yesterday, it happened again to a brand new filter and I could see no clogging in the clear plastic filter I installed. This time I switched to the port tank feed via the fuel manifold bypassing starboard tank. Engine fired right up and ran fine for 45 minutes in sloppy seas. The Port tank still feeds through the Starboard Racor and all filtering devices. So this has to be a tank feed issue. I pulled the pickup and it is clean. I did find some black looking slime in the "Anti-Siphon" valve right at the ball perhaps impeding flow?

    Could this be the Issue: There is Bio Growth in this tank that gets mixed up in rough seas. The Bio slime gets clogged at the "Anti-Siphon" ball valve causing reduce flow and loss of RPM. The slime never makes it to the filter due to the clogging at the "Anti-Siphon" valve.

    Here is what I have done: Removed the "Anti-Siphon" valve and used a standard NPT fitting. The pickup is at the rear of the tank. I moved the pickup to the middle of the tank. Ran for 20 minutes, both engines pulling from the Starboard tank with no issues, although (BUT) it was not rough out. So I am not 100% sure I have solved anything.

    What do you think is going on based upon my data?

    Is your Starboard tank pick up at the rear of the tank like mine was.

    Do you have "Anti-Siphon" valves installed?

    Thanks for any and all comments on this annoying issue
    1997 3788/Cummins 6BTA 5.9 M2s (Sold)
    2003 Silverton 42c/Cummins 480CEs
    2019 Cobia 240 CC
    2006 Boston Whaler 13 Sport
    1985 3270/Hino 135s (Sold)

    Vero Beach, Fl.

    #2
    I have used a punch to poke out the ball bearing and spring in the anti siphon valve in several Bayliners with similar issues including my own.
    Started boating 1965
    Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

    Comment


      #3
      A company by the name of Sea Built makes inspection ports for diesel tanks. I too was concerned what could be growing in my tanks. I installed one in each of my tanks. It is approved for side installation, I put them there and I have had no leaking problems. I used a hole saw for the cut. You may want to consider putting one in for a lookelu.

      Ken

      Pugetsoundog (woof)

      Comment


        #4
        p91473 wrote:


        Do you have "Anti-Siphon" valves installed?

        Thanks for any and all comments on this annoying issue
        Are these the lines in question shown on the front of my starboard tank? I'm not sure I've identified them correctly. I did not know a siphon valve was in place. Also I had never noticed there are multiple bosses for this tank connection given your statement that you moved yours from the stern to the middle.

        I have a receipt that came with the boat for the screens being removed on the fuel pickups at North Harbor Diesel. I assume it was done to preclude the problem your are hypothesizing.

        I am surprised that the inline filter showed NO indication of contamination. I would have assumed there would have been some if the engine ran at all and this were the problem, but perhaps the check ball clearance is small enough that it acts as an unintended filter as you suggest.



        Pugetsoundog wrote:
        A company by the name of Sea Built makes inspection ports for diesel tanks.

        Ken

        Pugetsoundog (woof)
        Thanks for this tip. Though not cheap, I think it would be nice to be able to inspect given the history with these tanks. Didn't know this could be a do it yourself project. Dean

        Comment


          #5
          toukow wrote:
          Are these the lines in question shown on the front of my starboard tank? I'm not sure I've identified them correctly. I did not know a siphon valve was in place. Also I had never noticed there are multiple bosses for this tank connection given your statement that you moved yours from the stern to the middle.

          I have a receipt that came with the boat for the screens being removed on the fuel pickups at North Harbor Diesel. I assume it was done to preclude the problem your are hypothesizing.

          I am surprised that the inline filter showed NO indication of contamination. I would have assumed there would have been some if the engine ran at all and this were the problem, but perhaps the check ball clearance is small enough that it acts as an unintended filter as you suggest.



          Thanks for this tip. Though not cheap, I think it would be nice to be able to inspect given the history with these tanks. Didn't know this could be a do it yourself project. Dean
          Thanks for the pic Dean. I see you are using the middle pickup. I was not. I also do not see an anti-syphon valve on your pickup. That looks more like a check valve. Maybe it lets better flow then the ball and spring type I was using. Cutting a hole in the tank would be a last ditch effort for me.
          1997 3788/Cummins 6BTA 5.9 M2s (Sold)
          2003 Silverton 42c/Cummins 480CEs
          2019 Cobia 240 CC
          2006 Boston Whaler 13 Sport
          1985 3270/Hino 135s (Sold)

          Vero Beach, Fl.

          Comment


            #6
            I had the same issue in my 38. Had the fuel polished (the sludge suckers) and it sucked out the black slime and now I go 100 hours on a 2 micron filter.

            Comment


              #7
              tweekes wrote:
              I had the same issue in my 38. Had the fuel polished (the sludge suckers) and it sucked out the black slime and now I go 100 hours on a 2 micron filter.
              This would be my next move, not cheap though. The local guy, the best I here, wants $700.00 to do the job with no warranty.
              1997 3788/Cummins 6BTA 5.9 M2s (Sold)
              2003 Silverton 42c/Cummins 480CEs
              2019 Cobia 240 CC
              2006 Boston Whaler 13 Sport
              1985 3270/Hino 135s (Sold)

              Vero Beach, Fl.

              Comment


                #8
                If you decide to cut the inspection port, also note your tank probably has two baffles or full size plates inside. They help prevent fuel slosh. They run side to side, dividing the tank roughly into three compartments. Look closely at the side of the tank and you should be able to determine where they are. Make sure you do not cut the hole across one of the plates. You'll want the port in the compartment where your fuel pickup is, so you can see exactly is what going on down in the bottom of the tank and at your fuel pick up.

                Also, regarding fuel polishing. It is not hard to build your own fuel polisher with a small electric pump, a racor fuel filter and some hose. I mounted mine on a board. The intake hose has a 30" piece of small pipe on it to reach down to the bottom of the tank and the corners. After you are done, maybe you could rent it out.

                $700! I hope you told the guy where to head in...

                Ken

                Pugetsoundog (woof)

                Comment

                Working...
                X