3870 with Chrysler/Mitsubishi Diesels-gctid758575

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3870 with Chrysler/Mitsubishi Diesels-gctid758575

I'm looking at a '83 3870 with Chrysler/Mitsubishi Diesels - no turbos. Is there anything that I should be concerned with? - Beside limited parts and lower speeds with these motors? I currently have a 3270 with Hino 135s. I'm very familiar with the pain points for the Hinos and the 3270. Not so much with the Chrysler/Mitsubishi Diesels and the 3870. Any input would be helpful, especially from someone who has the same engines. Thanks.

There is nothing really wrong with the Chrysler/Mits engines, in fact they were used in many different applications.

The problems arise when trying to source marine specific parts for them.

If the boat is in nice shape with updates/and or the price is right, it may be a bargain. Use the boat as is, but keep an engine repower fund, for when you have problems.
    Joel
    1987 3818 Hino 175
    "Knotty Girl"
    Prince Rupert B.C.

Comment

"I'm looking at a '83 3870 with Chrysler/Mitsubishi Diesels - no turbos. Is there anything that I should be concerned with?"

I owned two different boats that could not really run above 8 knots or so> Where we boat and with the time allowed the tides would sometimes reduce that to less than 5 knots so those boat/engines turned out to be a poor choice for us.

If you have no need to cruise at more than 8 knots SOW and can deal with the parts issues and securing a suitably trained mechanic then you are good to go.
      Northport NY

Comment

I have the same year and engines as the boat you are considering. She is slow but luckily that's not an issue for me.

mine came with a manual that has the source of parts I can't recall the name but I'm sure someone on here knows it. Finishing my 3rd season on the boat and no mechanical problems so far (knocking on wood) and we love it.

Comment

"mine came with a manual that has the source of parts I can't recall the name but I'm sure someone on here knows"

There are a number of BOC posts on this topic for your use , here is just one of them....

http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/in...parts-resource
          Northport NY

Comment

Working...
          X