Dumb Furnace Idea?-gctid391194

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dumb Furnace Idea?-gctid391194

Next season will be a complete redo of my flybridge seating and probably addition of a Diesel Furnace my first thought was forced air.

Someone suggested putting a heater on the bridge and now one of the things I want (not a must) is to put a heater on the bridge now the bridge would be very difficult to run a duct up there so I started thinking Hydronic and using the existing Red Dots as part of my system.

I think I know how I would run lines for the hot water but one of the other problems common to furnaces is the exhaust coming out in just the wrong spot periodically depending on how you are tied.

Now If I was to put the boiler unit on the bridge I could keep exhaust well away from anything and no high loop to be a PITA to bleed.

Thoughts?
    1999 Sandpiper Pilothouse - Current
    1989 3888 - 2011-2019, 1985 Contessa - 2005-2011, 1986 21' Trophy 1998-2005
    Nobody gets out alive.

How about a dedicated hot air furnace on the bridge separate from anything you do below?
    1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Comment

Too much additional cost to justify.

If I was going to do a seperate unit on the bridge it would be a propane fired Mr. Heater since you really don't need it that many days.
      Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

kwb wrote:
        Too much additional cost to justify.

If I was going to do a seperate unit on the bridge it would be a propane fired Mr. Heater since you really don't need it that many days.
        Mr. Heater ftw. I just got one and I love it. Cheapest I've found with free shipping no less.

http://www.equipsupply.com/products/...-Buddy-F274800

Comment

I think the bigger question is - anybody see anything wrong or potential pitfalls with mounting the furnace on the bridge?
          Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

kwb wrote:
            I think the bigger question is - anybody see anything wrong or potential pitfalls with mounting the furnace on the bridge?
            Heck no, mount away. I myself want a little fridge up there, but someone will probably suggest a cooler

Comment

Install a small round hatch on the floor between your legs. Run a dryer hose from cabin heater up thru the hatch when needed. Certainly not elegant but functional. If you need a hot chocolate, just stamp on floor and hatch serves a double duty. Cost is a lot less also.
              Started boating 1965
              Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

Comment

mmichellich wrote:
                Install a small round hatch on the floor between your legs. Run a dryer hose from cabin heater up thru the hatch when needed. Certainly not elegant but functional. If you need a hot chocolate, just stamp on floor and hatch serves a double duty. Cost is a lot less also.
                But where does the dryer go ?

Comment

iceclimber wrote:
                  But where does the dryer go ?
                  Goes between your legs so you have a choice of hot air up your butt, to keep your hands warm or to put under your coat, whichever you prefer. This is a real solution, have seen several boats with this temporary set up for those very cold days to keep he skipper comfortable. They made a a simple attachment to front of a Red Dot heater under the salon stairs to attach the hose.
                  Started boating 1965
                  Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

Comment

KWB,

I think it's a great idea. Most people (including myself) tend to think that the boiler must be located in the most central point. Why not a more remote point? It's just a matter of where and how you can run the hoses.

Hoses are a lot smaller than air ducts. You have lots of room to house the boiler on the bridge. Exhaust is not an issue. The expansion tank can be there as well which simplifies air bleeding.That's one of the benefits of hydronic, it can be very versatile.

I have a small hydronic Espar unit in our '32. Webasto makes an equivalent. In addition to the OEM Red Dot for the galley I have heat exchangers for the V-Berth/Head and Salon/ Master stateroom. I also tie in to the OEM system to heat the domestic water system. In addition I have a heat exchanger that will provide cooling for the system from sea water, but that will only work well if you are in a location where sea water is relatively cool.

So, to answer your question, at first glance, I can't think of any major problems with your proposal but I expect that someone looking at it from a different perspective may find some.

Comment

My thought was to do a cabinet to the port side of ladder that could house the boiler, expansion tank, maybe even circulation pump then stainless hard lines (smaller than hoses) would drop down through floor, along back bulkhead and into the bilge to then back into hoses that tie to the hot water tank, and red dot units as well as new heater points in forward stateroom.

I have already stopped using the engines for any aux. heating after learning a bit about managing coolant flow requirements from Cummins in Heavy truck applications. I don't know what/if Hino has for requirements is all that different but based on what I know I don't think it is a good practice but it may be a case of better being the enemy of good.

And no I am not putting a hatch in for a flex duct.
                      Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

Won't heat and moisture on the fly bridge create a heck of a condensation problem on the isinglass? I started out to go Red Dot up there but was givin the idea that the hot, moist air would be a problem. I settled for a 12 volt electric blanket and an overcoat.

Comment

If it were me, I'd put a small diesel air furnace up there, something like a Webasto or Espar unit.

I for one do not want to have my engine coolant lines running all around the boat.

Seems like more risk than the cost of the diesel heater would be worth.

KEVIN SANDERS
                          4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
                          www.transferswitch4less.com

where are we right now?

https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

ksanders wrote:
                            If it were me, I'd put a small diesel air furnace up there, something like a Webasto or Espar unit.

I for one do not want to have my engine coolant lines running all around the boat.

Seems like more risk than the cost of the diesel heater would be worth.
                            Says the guy that has just put three furnaces into his boat and has more money in a couple fresh engines than I in my whole boat.:hammer

No engine coolant - this is an wholly independent system. My engine coolant never leaves the engine... see post above about this subject.
                            Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

kwb wrote:
                              Says the guy that has just put three furnaces into his boat and has more money in a couple fresh engines than I in my whole boat.:hammer

No engine coolant - this is an wholly independent system. My engine coolant never leaves the engine... see post above about this subject.
                              You're too funny!!!

Reading your post, re the boiler, I like that idea. That gives you heat for your whole boat if you want it.

I like the exhaust up high as well.

Good idea!

KEVIN SANDERS
                              4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
                              www.transferswitch4less.com

where are we right now?

https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

Working...
                              X