38XX 175 Hino Exhaust Noise-gctid391022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

38XX 175 Hino Exhaust Noise-gctid391022

Has anyone done anything to quiet these engines down? My 87 is very loud and my mechanic friend says the 5" dia exhaust sytem is too large and won't mix the water and exhaust enough in the muffler to suppress much sound. Would love to go to a water lift but they are 700 bucks each last time I looked. I talked to a Sound Down tech at a boat show and he said the same thing but he wanted to install a custom exhaust system for me.

We have supplemental acoustic insulation on the cockpit deck hatches that helps. A tune-up and especially change to synthetic engine oil reduced noise slightly. The cockpit canvas when up, makes a significant difference. Reducing exhaust hose size and/or installing a lift-system will increase back-pressure, reducing engine performance and fuel economy - not good. Some folks run a supplemental exhaust hose to aft of the swimm step - while this increases back-pressure a bit, it has the double benefit of reduced noise and reduced sooting on the hull. A new high-performance muffler might be less work, and create less back-pressure. You should also check for adequate raw water flow - any restriction will reduce flow and associated muffling effect. Good luck, Doug S.

Comment

Working...
    X