Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hornless-gctid390678

Hi,

I installed a nice new set of double trumpet horns on my 38 to replace the ugly old ones. They worked fine but looked like crap. I tested the new ones at home before installing in the garage using a car battery and they worked great.

Installed them on the boat and I can get one of the horns to sound a bit but most of the time nothing. The bottom dash switch will give a little hoot but the upper helm one does nothing.

Anyone had this happen when they replaced the old horns?

You probably have bad connections in the circuit and are not getting full power to the horns. I would trace the wires back to each connection and clean them. If you find bad connectors in the lines replace them.

Good luck. Sorry no quick fixes.
    Patrick and Patti
    4588 Pilothouse 1991
    12ft Endeavor RIB 2013
    M/V "Paloma"
    MMSI # 338142921

Comment

Johnny Vintage wrote:
      Hi,

I installed a nice new set of double trumpet horns on my 38 to replace the ugly old ones. They worked fine but looked like crap. I tested the new ones at home before installing in the garage using a car battery and they worked great.

Installed them on the boat and I can get one of the horns to sound a bit but most of the time nothing. The bottom dash switch will give a little hoot but the upper helm one does nothing.

Anyone had this happen when they replaced the old horns?
      I hate to admit this but I had the same problem. they worked great and when I installed them, only one horn sounded and it was real weak, like a groan.

When I mounted them, I tried to use the same screw holes and they ended up NOT tilted down as much as the old horns. Got water in them from the rain

and wouldnt work. I tried everything, checked the connections, where i got my hot connection from and still barely a groan from one horn.

Called my electrician to have a look and he laughed at me when he tilted the horns and water spilled out.

I dont know, maybe it happened to you too?

Comment

I have got the same problem, except the horn worked really well for about a year then just a tiny beep. I find the electric dual horn (see picture below) they sell is made in China which you would think be a lot less than $128.00. It is amazing the current draw on these.

I am now looking for a good air horn which I think might be the way to go.

Incidently what does everyone use for the horn switch??? Mine had a normal rocker off/on switch which wasn't satisfactory. Hope I am not stealing your thread here.

Hugh
        Hugh
        1990 3888
        Hino 175 Diesels

Comment

After replacing the original horns twice and having them only last a few seasons each time, I finally replaced mine with air horns a couple years ago and I figure they'll be less expensive in the long run due to not having to replace them again. There's no need to constantly open the back of the horns to adjust the screw to get the horns to respond, and nobody mistakes mine for an anemic "Pee Wee Herman" bicycle horn anymore;:wow- Also, no more rust stain from leaks around the rear seal in the old trumpets.

I ran some #6 cables from the lower helm to a new bus bar on the flybridge and the compressor draws its power from that. The horn switch and button (yah, I haven't replaced the rocker on the flybridge with a button yet) activate a relay to route full power to the compressor.

Comment

When I installed a new horn on a prior boat a few years ago, I had the same problem. Tested it on my truck battery, then almost nothing in the boat. Turned out the new horn drew more amps than the old one, and the original wiring couldn't deliver. I replaced the wiring with heavier guage new wire, DONE.
            Jeff & Tara
            (And Ginger too)
            Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
            "GetAway"
            Cummins 4bta 250s

In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

The horn on my 94 3288 had a lifetime guarantee. Three times it failed and three times they sent me a new one for free. No, I don't recall the manufacturer, just that it was US made and original equipment.
              1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Comment

Yeah, my horn blows also.....but not the loud blast it should be....more like a mouse fart.

I bought a hand held air horn so I would be in compliance with the CG requirements. It's lasted for years and was much cheaper than new trumpets.

I agree that a bad circuit could be an issue. I was having a problem with my bridge lighting. The new LED wouldn't turn on and the running/nav lights were very dim. I used a volt meter to test the contacts at the light fixtures and found that they weren't getting the full 12 volts but I was getting 12 volts on the hot side of the fuse block.

The solution to the problem turned out to be nothing more than cleaning the connections of the fuses under the fly bridge helm. Even though the fuses were good, over the years, oxidation had built up around the ends and between the clips/contacts that held them.

I pulled each fuse and lightly sanded the ends with fine sandpaper as well as the clip connectors. When I re-installed the fuses, I put a small dab of electrical grease on each end of the fuse. The grease should help keep oxidation from forming and impeding the flow of current.

Everything works good now----except for the horn....but at least I know it's getting juice.

Somewhere on this forum there's a thread explaining how to fix these cheap horns. If I remember correctly, the guy used some regular household items to make the repair. I also seem to remember that it was a permanent repair.

Comment

Kahlenberg

http://www.kahlenberg.com/yacht.html

Safe and Happy Boating!

ColonyCove

Comment

Working...
                  X