4788 Wall Covering-gctid744522

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4788 Wall Covering-gctid744522

Am new member, enjoy very much the give and take on issues.

I am under contract to purchase a 2001 4788.

Several issues found at survey, but wondering if others have had an issue with the wall covering adhering coming loose generally throughout and what if any suggestions for fixing or should one replace.

Thank you

Pair of Jacks

Hi their and Welcome

It's not a huge deal,a good "DYI" project ..use a glue comparable with your wall covering,using a syringe inject the glue at spots needed and roll over the area with a wallpaper roller....good luck Brad
    Brad & Sharon
    Lady Jake
    1985 4550 EH 700TI /Twin Disc 502
    Anacortes/La Conner, Wa.

Comment

This was/is a notorious problem on these boats. I have read that Bayliner used an inferior glue for a number of years.

+++ to brad's comments and if you have bubbles, pierce the bubble with the syringe, add lots of glue then manipulate any air out the hole with your fingers and hand. We found that the wood roller, wallpaper tool, didn't do as well as your hand over dry glue where there were some rigid spots.

Good luck
      Joe
      2001 5288
      Lucky Liner ll

Comment

No no no no no... The glue that was supplied to Bayliner was not suitable for a marine installation (go figure). The bubbled wallpaper needs to be pulled back using a heat gun/hair dryer and re-glued with a better glue. Bob Hinds (search on this site) used to do this for folks in the PNW, he could tell you what glue he used.

Comment

High recommendations for Bob Hinds (my phone contact list says 360.659.5265; [email protected])
          1997 4788 with Cummins 5.9 (315 hp)
          12 ft Rendova with 40 hp Merc 4 cycle
          Pacific NW

Comment

Thanks to all of your responses.

If I can get through the other survey issues, I'll try Bob Hinds for direction.

Comment

Bob did some work on my boat 4 years ago and was planning to retire that year. I did not hear whether that "took" or not.
              Alan Teed
              MOONSHADOW
              1996 Wendon Sky Lounge 72'
              Gig Harbor, WA
              Previously:
              1994 Bayliner 4788
              2006 Hylas 49' SY
              Bayliner 2855
              1977 Cal 34' SY
              1981 Hunter 33' SY

Comment

Bob Hines did retire from the boating business and from what I understand, Wild Horses wouldn't get him back into it.

A real shame, Bob was one of the best boat interior guys in the PNW.
                Rob
                Bayliner 5788
                'Merlin V'
                Vancouver BC

Comment

Rob is correct. I had him on my boat to give me direction in cutting in my center hatch, that was almost three years ago. He was retired at that point. He also advised me on the wall paper.

The problem is not with the glue (it works fine), rather how it was applied. The procedure was to wait until the two surfaces were tacky, and the glue had gassed. The people at the factory did not wait and the glue gassed off, and caused the bubbles.

Bob would repair both ways. On some he would carefully pull the paper off, and others he would inject some glue. I have a wall in my master head that needs to be pulled, and a couple of places in the hallway that need the injection method.

DIY, for sure.

Comment

What kind of glue are people using when injecting via syringe?
                    Pat
                    Paragon
                    1999 4788

Comment

I've heard that some interior guys use a glue that has some sort of clay base in it. Has anybody heard of that?
                      BJ
                      OMEGA

Comment

"cosmo777" post=745190 wrote:
                        What kind of glue are people using when injecting via syringe?
                        That seems to be the $64,000 question. When I asked, Bob didn't reveal to me his product. He was still at that time hoping to train and mentor somebody to take over for him, so he didn't reveal his trade secrets.

Comment

Anyone know what glue to use? I have a large piece in the master stateroom coming off. The paneling is sticky but the vinyl is not. This is not like wallpaper used on land, it seems to have no paper backing. I was thinking contact cement, thoughts?
                          Partner in a 1999 4788

Seattle, WA

Comment

I have used contact cement. Just like other have said. Both sides wall and material must be very tacky. Keep two sides apart with clean dry material, like a dowel. Allow both wall and covering to come together as you push out dowel rollers. Making sure to not trap air bubble. No different then doing a counter top. Same concept. If you should get a air bubble, you can poke a very same pin hole it. Push air out. The glue will still grab wall cover and attach.
                            jim and Anna 1994 4788 Refresh 310 Hinos

Comment

I'm close to finalizing a deal on a 2001 3988 with the same wallpaper problem. As someone else pointed out, I was advised to, carefully, pull it back using a heat gun and then re-glue it. I need to do some research on which glue to use so please post a solution if you find it; I'll do the same.
                              Alex
                              Orange County, Ca.
                              2001 3988
                              Twin Cummins 330's

Comment

Working...
                              X