3270 Main Zinc Bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3270 Main Zinc Bolts

After installing a new main transom zinc this year I must have broke the seal around one of the bolts. I now have a small leak. The bronze bolts I have are not long enough to have a locking nut on the inside of the zinc, which I think would help. Only room for two nuts and two washers, one on the inside against the transom the other on the outside for the zinc. Suspecting bronze bolts will be hard to find I was wondering if stainless steel would work? Have this happen to anyone?
    Last edited by Jim_Gandee; 09-06-2020, 08:44 PM.
    1987 3270 135-Hino
    Foxtrap, Newfoundland

Any place that deals with wooden boats should have brass or bronze bolts. Admiralty Ship Supply in Pt Townsend WA has a huge supply.

I put a large bronze washer under the zinc, i.e. Next to the transon, one on the outside of the zinz and then 2 bronze nuts. Have never had a problem with the zinc coming off or leaks.

Jim
    1988 3270 With 135 Hinos

Comment

I use stainless without problem. You really do need a nut locking the bolt to the transom, If the zinc deteriorates you could all the sudden have a very loose bolt and a bigger leak.

Comment

Fisheries Supply online has all the bronze fasteners you need. Sadly this fix will require a grid or a haulout.

Comment

Where exactly are transom zinc located on a 3270, or how do you access them?
          Matt Schneider
          1986 Bayliner 3270
          Washington, DC

Comment

The transom zinc is in the center of the photo.

Click image for larger version

Name:	stern aft view.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	599113
            100T MMC 2307794

Comment

Working...
            X