Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water tank float stuck-gctid740539

Hi All-

I went down to the boat today (3988) and filled the water tank. When I checked the gauge the light came on and the needle jumped but showed empty. I assume that the float switch in the tank is stuck. So, two questions: 1. what make model of switch is it? 2. How much of a PITA is it going to be to change it out? Of course, I would prefer to go for a run on a choppy day to see if that kicks it loose, but the Admiral has vetoed that idea (

Thanks in advance,

-Don.

The float arm might have broken off. My aft tank sender did that.I replaced both tank senders with Ferriellos units.

http://www.ferriellosales.com/Home_Page.html

Comment

when i replaced my tanks i found pieces for three different sending units inside. they just dont last forever. gotta replace em i think.

Comment

The main tank on my 4788 has done that for years. Sometimes works sometimes doesn't and often I don't even have to leave the dock for it to change. I believe mine is just probably the connection on the tank sender because sometimes if I just turn the breaker off and on a couple of times with the switch for the water gauge engaged it sometimes makes it work.

When mine does not work the needle does not move at all.

In my case my sender has always worked enough for me to manage my water but during the summer when we have high usage anchoring out I just always go through my main tank first so then I know I have so many days left on my aft tank. Our longest stretch without being somewhere to get water was 18 days and we were still good so in my case this has not been a high priority fix haha.

Cheers,

Mark

Comment

On our1995 3988 the cork float became saturated and didn't float. Bought a new cork, drilled a hole through the middle and glued it on. Works great.

Easy to get it out. In the visitors berth under the mattress is the access point. Undo several screws and the arm with the cork lifts right out.

Comment

I had a couple of floats become saturated also. Replaced it with a small plastic bottle glued on the float arm. Been working for years. Only five screws to remove the float assembly.

Comment

I did the same as Aqua Therapy and Superior Diver, but used a styrafoam bobber from the local fishing tackle shop. We have a '89 3870. If you can access the tank, the sending unit can be easily removed and the float replaced.

Comment

Thanks for all of your helpful comments. I went down to the boat today and easily found the float switch. Before pulling it I gave it a couple of taps with the screwdriver. Happily, that freed the float and everything is now working well. I wish that all of the repairs could be this easy!

-Don.

Comment

Working...
                X