HIno Black Smoke-gctid739518

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HIno Black Smoke-gctid739518

Friend has a 32 with 150 Hinos. One engine will not go faster than 2200 RPM and any throttle setting above 2200 the engine exhausts black smoke. So far the injectors have been pulled and deemed good by an injector shop. Hose from turbo pulled and turbo is turning over and there seems to be no oil coming from turbo. Black smoke comes either too much fuel or not enough air. Boat kept on trailer so bottom is good. No similar issue with other engine. Mechanic suggests pulling innercooler and checking for blockages. I suggested he look for a broken hose clamp on air path from turbo via innercooler to engine. What other things should be checked?
    Started boating 1965
    Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

Did anyone make sure there is absolutely nothing binding up the prop or shaft. It does not take much whether its the cutlass, shaft seal, shaft alignment, or growth / debris on the wheel. I had the same issue with less than thirty barnacles on each wheel. When on the trailer make sure the bad motor spins as easily as the good one.

Comment

I drove by the boat today on it's trailer and since I did not know which engine was the issue, I looked the the bottom mostly and the props. Props looked good from 30 feet. Bottom needs to be painted but since kept on a trailer, not really an issue.
      Started boating 1965

Comment

Adjusting the valves completely eliminated the black smoke from my Hino's.

When I bought it if I hit the throttle you couldn't see anything behind me. Previous owner had the injectors done but the valves had never been adjusted.

Doug
        Started boating 1955
        Number of boats owned 32
        Bayliners
        3870 presently owned
        Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

"dmcb" post=739636 wrote:
          Adjusting the valves completely eliminated the black smoke from my Hino's.

When I bought it if I hit the throttle you couldn't see anything behind me. Previous owner had the injectors done but the valves had never been adjusted.

Doug
          Can worn valves keep the engine from never getting above 2200 RPM when it did recently with no smoke. Sure seemed like a bad turbo to me but mechanic says it is working well. Wonder if it is possible that turbo can spin at low RPM and not at high RPM. The valve idea tho is likely worth trying as it is easy to do, just remove the valve cover. Of course you have to have a shop manual fior that engine to know how to do it. Is it possible that the high pressure pump could somehow be screwing up all the sudden?
          Started boating 1965

Comment

A couple things:

There are no inter coolers on the 150, so no worries there. (You would think a diesel mechanic would have noticed this)

Could be a plugged up exhaust riser or maybe muffler?

Dean

Comment

Adjusting the valves is quite easy. You can check the injector pump timing at the same time.

Its been 10 years so my memory is a bit foggy but you have to get to the flywheel. There are marks on it. I turned the engine with a screwdriver at the flywheel.

You do need the manual but the method is in the owners manual of my Hino.

I knew the valves had never been adjusted on my 38xx as the floorboard supports have to be notched on the starboard engine to get the valve cover off. Mine wasn't.

Adjusting the valves didn't seem to affect the performance that I could see but it was astounding with the black smoke.

Doug
              Started boating 1955
              Number of boats owned 32
              Bayliners
              3870 presently owned
              Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

"dpeery" post=739707 wrote:
                A couple things:

There are no inter coolers on the 150, so no worries there. (You would think a diesel mechanic would have noticed this)

Could be a plugged up exhaust riser or maybe muffler?

Dean
                I told him to check the riser, good input. Checking the muffler is a lot harder. Any ideas on how to check the muffler?
                Started boating 1965

Comment

Note from owner today indicates the riser is likely causing the issue via eyeball inspection and two new risers are on order. Thanks for the suggestions.
                  Started boating 1965

Comment

I had exactly the same problem. Black smoke coupled with a complete failure to increase revs. In mine it was a failure of the riser which allowed water into the turbo. Result - new riser & re-built turbo.
                    Bay Seeker
                    1994 3288

Comment

Working...
                    X