Macerator Pump not working-gctid737911

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Macerator Pump not working-gctid737911

I have a 1989 3218 Bayliner Motoryacht and my Macerator stopped working. There doesn't seem to by any power to the switch and I can't see any burnt fuses. There is a relay in the cofin potter & brumfield VFM-11F11-KO1 that the pump is wired to. Can anyone tell me if this is the problem or should I keep searching for a burnt fuse?

You can try pulling the pump apart (wearing gloves). It's easy to do, it could just be jammed, clean it and put it back together, test it on a battery before you put it back in place. There is a re-build git for most pumps (Jabsco or Westmarine). I went through 2 Jabsco's over 7 years or so, then switched to Westmarine. WM is a much better design, more sturdy and I haven't had an issue-that's because I bought the 3 year extended warranty;-) If you have to replace it, go with WM.

Machog
    1996 4087 Lazy Days
    2007 Walker Bay Genesis Lazy Mac
    2011 Porsche Cayman
    2010 Lexus IS 250C
    2008 Honda Ridgeline

Comment

Before you pull it apart try loosening it with a blade screwdriver. If it is a macerator pump and not a diaphragm waste pump, it should have a rubber cap at one end of the body. Removing this cap will expose the end of the shaft. There's a slot for a screwdriver machined into the cap. Get a large screwdriver and try to rock the shaft back and forth a bit. Often this is all that is needed to get the pump going.

There are a couple of things that I recommend regarding macerator pumps:

1- If the pump is not used on a regular basis, rotate the shaft with a screwdriver as described above once or twice a season.

2- The wiring to the pump on many Bayliners is undersized and results in too much voltage drop. The result is that the pump does not have enough power to do its job and it gets stuck. To solve this, install an adequately sized relay close to the pump and run a heavy gauge wire (10 or 12 ga) from the MBSS to the pump - with adequate fuse. Use the existing pump wires to switch the relay on and off.
      1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
      2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
      Anacortes, WA

Comment

By explaining there is no power to the pump, do you mean you checked with a voltmetre? Or are you just guessing because the pump doesn't seem to turn. Before pulling too many things apart, checking with a voltmetre will tell you if the problem is the pump or the power supply.
        2001 Bayliner Ciera 2455 5.7 Merc MPI, Bravo 3
        2009 Subaru WRX STI
        2017 stick with a nail on the end of it

Victoria, BC

Comment

When was the last time it worked?

Also, as mentioned, make sure it is not getting power by using a test light or voltmeter. Then work backwards from the macerator if it really isn't getting power.

Mine has froze up before because of lack of use. Either saltwater or not enough Mexican food. When that happened I used the screwdriver in the slot to break it free.

An easier way to make sure it doesn't freeze up is just push the button every once in a while. I can spin mine for several seconds before any "stuff" actually pumps out.
          Esteban
          B-ham!
          Former Bayliners 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

It worked fine on Sunday and stopped on Monday. I'm suspecting it jammed and blew a fuse or breaker. Do you know where the breaker is?

Comment

Look at the technical section posting on this issue.

Comment

On my previous boat there was an in line fuse near the battery. FYI a tampon will jam the pump and blow the fuse. Found this out the hard way after my wife's neice and friend were abroad.
                "Martini's Law"
                1986 Bayliner 3270, 110 Hino's
                Nova Scotia, Canada

Comment

I have a 1989 2655 sunbridge I can't seem to find the macerator pump. Can you give me any idea where it is?

Comment

"odismoore" post=738345 wrote:
                    I have a 1989 2655 sunbridge I can't seem to find the macerator pump. Can you give me any idea where it is?
                    Typically in the engine bay, mounted above the wastewater tank which is also typically located on the starboard side. You really can't miss it....
                    2001 Bayliner Ciera 2455 5.7 Merc MPI, Bravo 3
                    2009 Subaru WRX STI
                    2017 stick with a nail on the end of it

Victoria, BC

Comment

No not there, my fresh water pump was there. I replaced it as well. I noticed on the underside when I was painting the boat a drain up toward the front of the boat on the starboard side. I have gone inside the cabin area and i do not see an access panel unless I cut the floor out.

Comment

Seaquest, I saw your post but replied to the wrong thread lol. Here it is again.

I had this exact same problem literally two weeks ago. I was running the macerator and mid way through the pump out it just cut out and wouldn't run. I thought the same thing. Is my fuse blown? Is the pipe blocked? A dirty job no one wants to do. So I googled the hell out of it and found this you tube vid from jabsco. I turned the screw, and praise the gods it started working again!! Hope this helps

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V1cwk2fBBHM
                        2004 245 Cierra Alpha one Gen II "Sabre II"
                        2004 505 Windstorm Yamaha 90hp "Sabre One"

Comment

"odismoore" post=738345 wrote:
                          I have a 1990 2655 and, if yours is the same as mine, it's high up on the forward starboard side of the engine bay. In practice you have to stick your head in and look up. I ended up cutting a hatch so I could get to it when I needed to, see my thread here:

http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/in...-cockpit-hatch

If it's not there you'll just have to follow the hose from the tank.

Comment

Thank you Bill I will look in that area. You are absolutely correct in order to get in that area i will need to be flexible for sure. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...
                            X