Wattering Batteries-gctid737402

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wattering Batteries-gctid737402

How much water do your batteries use. I check mine once per year whether they need it or not. Yesterday we added not quite a gallon of water to FIVE 8D batteries. This seems reasonable. For those using some other form of battery not needing water added, just run along, no need to gloat.
    Started boating 1965
    Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

I have 6 golf cart batteries for house bank, 1 group 27 for generator and one 8D starting. I check the water level yearly and will go through about a gallon of distilled water each time, give or take depending on how close to the year mark it is. We are also live aboards and many of our systems are constantly drawing from the batteries so the charger is constantly working at different levels as well. So my use could be slightly more than boats only used periodically.
    Patrick and Patti
    4588 Pilothouse 1991
    12ft Endeavor RIB 2013
    M/V "Paloma"
    MMSI # 338142921

Comment

5 8 D's? What are those for? That's a ton of juice I usually try to check my batteries quarterly. I find that some cells need and some don't. I have a little can/jar that automatically put the level to the correct amount (very helpful and easy). I find that I usually use about a gallon + per year for all batteries (2 8d, 8 6v and one 12v Gen batt). Make sure you're checking/filling on a charged battery.

Derek
      Family Boater
      1997 Bayliner 4788 w/330 Cummins - Phoenix
      (past) 1987 Bayliner 3218 w/135 Hino - True Story

Comment

3 8Ds and 6-6volts. There is a battery watering system installed specifically for the 6-6v. Clip connect and pump bulb. They are crazy difficult to get to on the port side above the engine.

Even the 8Ds, 2 on starboard and 1 on port rear are hard to get too.

All are about 8+ years old and contrary to what the yard told me, continuing to hold 13+ readings.

Comment

I have 4 L16's and one 8D and go through about a gallon to a gallon and half every year.
          1980 3550 Bristol
          Twin Volvo 60B
          "When mad yell, when really mad curse"

Comment

I go through about 1.5 to 2 gallons a year.

I installed a water filling system two years ago. It's a fitting near the hatch that runs water via tubing to all 4 batteries. The caps allow gas to escape and water to enter. I just pump into the fitting, the water flows and fills all the cells evenly. It takes me about 5 mins to do both sides.

Across the winter I check twice, during the summer I check every two weeks. I'm putting about 12 oz in each time. This keeps the water levels up where they are supposed to be.

I don't remember the name of the system, it's on the boat. It was pricy at about $300 for the entire setup, but I feel I'm taking better care of the battery system and will get a little longer life out of it.
            Yep, my 4588 Bayliner IS my happy place :whistle:

Comment

What is the brand or name of the water filling systems you all are using? How do they stop you from overfilling a cell?
              Mark
              USCG OUPV
              1990 4588
              Carlsbad, CA

Comment

"Simonsen" post=737428 wrote:
                5 8 D's? What are those for? That's a ton of juice
                Sounds about right to me - 4 L16's (House/Inverter), 2 GC (Start), one group 31(Genset). I need to scrap the GC for true starters but they were 1yr old when I got the L16's and redid the battery arrangement and couldn't bring myself to spend more at the time.

Use about a gallon a year.
                1989 3888
                Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

Pro-fill is the product that is installed. Should probably also install on the 8Ds. They are not easy to get to either. Would be easier than using the fill canister.

Comment

The pro-fill will not over fill. the quick-connect and the pump bulb allow the flow of distilled water to the fill point only.

Comment

http://www.amazon.com/Flow-Rite-RV20.../dp/B001FCAXT0
                      Pat
                      Paragon
                      1999 4788

Comment

Battery Hydration Systems, Inc.

PO Box 13060

Charleston, SC 29422

www.batteryhydration.com

Code:
                        Item      Description                    Order... Prev. Inv... Backor... Invoiced U/M Rate Amount

137 000 3/4 Inch Push-In Fill Cap 25        0      0                25  ea 8.16              204.00T

000 169 Float #169 (black / for 4D and 8D's) 25 0 0                 25 ea  1.31               32.75T

804 010 Manual Pump Tank Set-Up: 10l / 2.5gal

tank, 1 oz/stroke hand pump, hose, coupler    1 0 0 1                  ea 33.33               33.33T

601 216 All-In-One Coupler (male) 2x 6mm /

1/4" with foam                                3 0 0 3                  ea 11.55               34.65T

459 506 Hose Clamp Ring for Hose with I.D.

6mm / 1/4" - by the each OR 500 pack

6 0 0 6 ea 0.13706 0.82T

451 006 PVC Hose with I.D. 6mm / 1/4" - by the

foot OR coil                             60 0 0                 60 ft 0.28616                 17.17T

Subtotal of Items Above     322.72

Shipping & Handling for Customers 17.53                17.53

$340.25
                        I purchased extra caps / floats and an extra coupler in case something broke/got lost. Highly recommended. Having the tank with the pump built into it has made doing this very easy.
                        Yep, my 4588 Bayliner IS my happy place :whistle:

Comment

Working...
                        X