4788 Aft Cockpit transom door repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4788 Aft Cockpit transom door repair

This winter I plan to either repair, or more likely have someone else repair, my transom door. I have cracking along hinge and at the barrel latch - see pictures. I am curious if anyone has undertaken this repair and can give me some pointers on how involved the repair is and what is involved.

Thanks!

Attached files
    Jim_Gandee
    BOC Site Team
    Last edited by Jim_Gandee; 09-10-2018, 09:13 AM.
    Alan Teed
    MOONSHADOW
    1996 Wendon Sky Lounge 72'
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Previously:
    1994 Bayliner 4788
    2006 Hylas 49' SY
    Bayliner 2855
    1977 Cal 34' SY
    1981 Hunter 33' SY

Will be following this tread. My 47 transom door is cracked along the top inside right at the 90 degree bend, a fine hairline crack, but all the way through I expect. Earlier a few years ago I found that the door was half full of water. Chased it down to the top of the rub rail not sealed. I took door off at hinges and drilled several 3/8 inch holes in the bottom of the door and a whole lot of water drained out. Put a fine bead of sealant on top of rub rail and no longer see any telltale signs of water accumulation. I figure towing a very heavy (think 3000 #) fishing boat for years had something to do with the cracking. I was just planning to fill the crack with sealant and use some flexible 90 degree plastic trim to cover it.
    Started boating 1965
    Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

Comment

I also will be following this thread. I have cracks along the top inside and also under the latch.
      Greg A.
      1994 4788
      "Simplicity"
      2002 Capri 175
      "Little GFI"
      Boat on the Sac/San Joaquin Delta
      Willow Berm Marina

Comment

Guys, I had mine fixed. The manufacturing of the transom door is not best practice, thats for sure. From what my glas guy said, there was a mould of the bottom and 4 sides to which they dropped in a 3/4" piece of ply as a lid and gelcoat over it. Not much glass/gelcoat was used, so it starts to crack around the plywood lid.

Anyway, trying to gelcoat it is a time consuming/color matching hassle, so my glass man "V" it and bogged it with reinforcing mesh, sanded it smooth, then epoxy painted the complete door. He is a wiz with color matching paint to the existing gelcoat, so it was a cost effective fix ($300).

I trust this helps. Cheers
        John H
        Brisbane QLD Aust
        "Harbor-nating"

2000 - 4788/Cummins 370's

Comment

A gal at Cap Sante in Anacortes fixed mine for $700. She runs a detail business in the marina but worked in the gel coat area at the Bayliner factory. I got her name from Nordic Yachts sales guy Greg Mastari.
          1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Comment

Mine is much worse then Alans.

It was that way when I bought it. The PO never towed so I thinks it's just like John says, poor design.

I removed mine last fall. It's in my shop but I won't get to it until July.

I intend to cut the bottom out, remove the wood and decide what to do from there.

I'll take a lot of photos.

Chris

Comment

"mmichellich" post=737059 wrote:
              Will be following this tread. My 47 transom door is cracked along the top inside right at the 90 degree bend, a fine hairline crack, but all the way through I expect. Earlier a few years ago I found that the door was half full of water. Chased it down to the top of the rub rail not sealed. I took door off at hinges and drilled several 3/8 inch holes in the bottom of the door and a whole lot of water drained out. Put a fine bead of sealant on top of rub rail and no longer see any telltale signs of water accumulation. I figure towing a very heavy (think 3000 #) fishing boat for years had something to do with the cracking. I was just planning to fill the crack with sealant and use some flexible 90 degree plastic trim to cover it.
              My transom door was exactly like this when I got the boat 3 years ago.. Half full of water. Also found that the hinges were not doing their hinge thing and stressing the fiberglass. I pulled the door and brought it to a fiberglass shop where the guy rebuilt the door for a few hundred dollars. I got new SS hinges and reinstalled and the door has been fine ever since.
              Evan
              2001 Bayliner 4788 "Fifty / Fifty II"
              League City, TX

Comment

I should have updated this post months ago! I decided to have the door professionally done and am glad that I did. He removed the door, repaired the cracks mentioned in the first post, color matched the gelcoat, updated the barrel latch with one that no longer rattles and reinstalled, all for about $300 in conjunction with some other minor clean up gel coat work. Very happy and it looks and works like new. Happy to provide recommendations to folks in the Tacoma/Gig Harbor area.
                Alan Teed
                MOONSHADOW
                1996 Wendon Sky Lounge 72'
                Gig Harbor, WA
                Previously:
                1994 Bayliner 4788
                2006 Hylas 49' SY
                Bayliner 2855
                1977 Cal 34' SY
                1981 Hunter 33' SY

Comment

Alan can you plz PM me the info and any other comments? I’m currently in Anacortes but will likely bring the boat back to the central or south Sound so I could manage coordinating the work getting done in gig harbor. The quote I had from the Seattle Lake Union area was co spiders you higher.
                  Patti & Gordon Lewandowski
                  Sammamish WA
                  1998 4788 (April 2018)
                  ”Knot Home”
                  MMSI 368040370

Comment

Originally posted by Alan_Teed View Post
                    I should have updated this post months ago! I decided to have the door professionally done and am glad that I did. He removed the door, repaired the cracks mentioned in the first post, color matched the gelcoat, updated the barrel latch with one that no longer rattles and reinstalled, all for about $300 in conjunction with some other minor clean up gel coat work. Very happy and it looks and works like new. Happy to provide recommendations to folks in the Tacoma/Gig Harbor area.
                    Hey Alan, I'm in Gig Harbor, and would love to get the info of the person that did the work for you. Sounds like they might also be a great resource for some other fiberglass/gelcoat work I need done beyond just the cockpit transom door. Thanks!
                    James
                    2000 4788 | "Freedom"
                    Gig Harbor, WA
                    11' Novurania w/40hp Yamaha
                    Cummins 330's and Westerbeke 8kw
                    Hull Extension, Chines and Hardtop

Comment

Alan,
                      I'm in the same boat (Ha ha) and would like to get the contact info. We are now in Anacortes.
                      Steve
                      2000 4788 w Cummins 370's, underhulls, swim step hull extension
                      12' Rendova center console with 40HP Yamaha
                      MV Kia Orana
                      Currently Enjoying the PNW

Comment

Working...
                      X