38 cockpitfloor gas supports-gctid736353

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

38 cockpitfloor gas supports-gctid736353

I have read the past posts on this, but am looking to have my floor hatches raise to the max clearance., I am a tall guy and I can barely get in/out or lift anything in or out. I see no reason that the gas shocks cant be extended to allow this. I have looked on line at some gas shock calculators but don't want to reinvent the wheel. I am sure one of you guys has already done this. Thoughts?

Interesting, I have never really thought about it, but every 38 I have worked on or looked at has not had any gas supports.

Our port hatch is not hinged, just lifts right out, and the starboard hatch flips all the way back against the transom.
    Joel
    1987 3818 Hino 175
    "Knotty Girl"
    Prince Rupert B.C.

Comment

You could not hinge the port hatch. It would hit the ladder. That's why it's a lift out hatch.

Comment

Mine is hinged but it is stroke limited by the ladder. Struts are dead and I have a tether I hook to the ladder to hold it open.

I removed them on starboard side and flip hatch up against the salon door when I need to get in there.
        1989 3888
        Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

mine are exactly like kwb. I have never thought of hinging the

hatches in the other direction: so they would rest against the

transom. that is an interesting idea...
          Novurania 335DL. 30HP. WKRP in cincinnati. Previously: Bayliner 3818 in PNW.

Comment

Mine are hinged and raise fwd... took the struts off both sides... port raises higher with out struts and bungees to the stairs... starboard opens up to entry door... much better access to the hold. on both sides with out struts... ... I do bungee the stbd to an outboard eng mount on the wall . even though it will open to over center....... I found out the hard way it hurts when it slams down on you.....

Comment

Working...
            X