4788 port Throttle cable-gctid734641

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4788 port Throttle cable-gctid734641

My 95 4788 has a "stiff" throttle cable on port side. I'm told this is a common 4788 issue due to cable routing around a sharp bend.

Where can I find the bend, and what solutions have others come up with?

"DB1" post=734641 wrote:
    My 95 4788 has a "stiff" throttle cable on port side. I'm told this is a common 4788 issue due to cable routing around a sharp bend.

Where can I find the bend, and what solutions have others come up with?
    You might want to post this in Motoryachts.
    Alan Teed
    MOONDANCE
    '94 4788
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Previously:
    2006 Hylas 49' blowboat
    Bayliner 2855
    1977 Cal 34' blowboat
    1981 Hunter 33' blowboat
    Experience: Sail 50 years, Motor 15 years. 2 Transats, 1 Baltimore-Virgin Islands, 6 Months cruising Caribbean, 3.5 years cruising Med.

Comment

Transferred accordingly. Cheers
      John H
      Brisbane QLD Aust
      "Harbor-nating"

2000 - 4788/Cummins 370's

Comment

I had both my throttle cables replaced a couple of years ago as they were getting stiff and they were slightly re routed because at one point there was quite a bend from the OEM installation. They move smoothly and easily now.

I can not take a picture of the run just yet as I am in Scotland and will not get back to the boat until June probably but if it is still an issue then I will watch this post and take a picture for you.

Cheers,

Mark

Comment

on my '97, the controls are hydraulic all the way to the engine room, with short cables to the motors. Throttles are smooth as silk. Do you have cables from the helm to the engine room?
          1997 Bayliner 4788 "Mostly Harmless"
          Sold: 1990 Bayliner 3888

Comment

Yes, Cables run from Pilothouse to Flybridge then down to engine. Somewhere in between they take a sharp turn that puts a kink in the cable. Just not sure where that is. I've been told that it can't be re-routed, but I just can't accept that answer and wanted to see what anyone else had done before I start digging through the cable run.

Comment

"DB1" post=736964 wrote:
              Yes, Cables run from Pilothouse to Flybridge then down to engine. Somewhere in between they take a sharp turn that puts a kink in the cable. Just not sure where that is. I've been told that it can't be re-routed, but I just can't accept that answer and wanted to see what anyone else had done before I start digging through the cable run.
              Had the same issue on our 1994 ... turned out to be worn out cables. I replaced with Ke4 electronic controls but I would bet if you replaced the Morse cables with new they would work fine.

Hope that helps!
              1994 4788

Comment

"DB1" post=736964 wrote:
                I can tell you that in my 1997 4788 my mechanic told me the same thing about the sharp turn and a kink and he re-routed the cable(s) a bit and it was a huge difference.

Cheers,

Mark

Comment

Working...
                X