has anyone replaced the bridge seating?-gctid346023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

has anyone replaced the bridge seating?-gctid346023

is it easier to purchase the premaid seating than having all of the seating rebuilt and recovered?

my advice and this from my experiance is to have your factory or current seating recovered and replace the wroughted plywood backs and bottoms ect. its a better look than buying from a componet seating supplier .... as i all ways have the thought to keeping my boat as factory as we can .........at some point you may/will want to sell it ...... and if you goofed up your bridge seating due to trying to cut some corners on cost .... it will cost you in the end !!!!!!.......but if you are thinking just changing up the helm seat .....yes there are a lot of choices out there and a lot more comfort as well bayliner used a lot of those garrick `brand helm seats back then .....man they are back breakers on a long trip ........good luck
    NEIL S

Comment

Our boat, the P.O let the wind damaged the canopy cover up there and it dangled and snapped the VHF antenna's, the vents, and the windscreen broke.. The rains totally soaked everything in site, and warped the flooring. We tore it all out and have it in storage right now. That bloody stuff soaked must have put an easy 1000 lbs up there alone. We will try and recover if possible, since it would be cheaper then new. BUT if by spring its not worth it, then we will rebuild our own to fit our needs and the design we want.. not some cataloge designed by someone else..

Comment

Our bridge seats looked crap, took them apart and found they were structurally sound, so we had new covers made.

Lady used to work for Bayliner and has all the patterns by year for nearly every BL made. She is Arlington WA, Kim Reitz, 360-435-0932. Great value, excellent work, you won't be disappointed. Even if the wood/plastic has gone, its an easy fix, the hard part is getting the covers right. Pay a few $$'s more and have her do the arm rests, not just send you the covers. Seat covers go on in about 5 min.

Machog
        1996 4087 Lazy Days
        2011 11’ West Marine Rib 350 Lazy Mac
        2011 Porsche Cayman
        2010 Lexus IS 250C
        2008 Honda Ridgeline

Comment

just took min out this weekend, going to custom make one. The seat isnt really wide wnoguh for two, and mrs doesn't sit next to me anyway, so i'm going to make a singe, but fat boy wide, single seat and glass in one of my omaha steak stryofoam coolers next to me. Got a guy that will cover it all for me pretty cheap.

Comment

Imo the seating is to low. On the advise of Whiskywizard we replaced ours with good pontoon furniture. It looks very good, is more comfortable than the previous seats and has more underseat storage. The seat frames are plastic so that problem is eliminated.

Measure well and order seats to fit or custom yours. I put a small table on the starboard side for snacks or charts and I really like it.

Maybe Mike will respond with some pics. As I recall he added an additional helm seat.

Doug
            Started boating 1955
            Number of boats owned 32
            Bayliners
            3870 presently owned
            Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

I have been contemplating the replacement or refurbish of our bridge seating as well. The pontoon boat seating seems like a good alternative and the prices are very difficult to beat. Check out pontoon seating on ebay. You will be surprised what you can get. I was going to make some measurements and contact the seller to see what they could do for me. Once I get the comparison pricing between the two options I will post.
              Patrick and Patti
              4588 Pilothouse 1991
              12ft Endeavor RIB 2013
              M/V "Paloma"
              MMSI # 338142921

Comment

"is it easier to purchase the premaid seating than having all of the seating rebuilt and recovered?"

It is much much easier to get premade seats then to build or rebuild new stock type seating.

The stock seats rot out pretty well over time and they have numerous off angles (not right angles) in all directions.

We went the route of building new seats based upon the pattern of the stock seats - it was a whole lot of work.

When done we set them up on short 'starboard' bases to raise the seating as well as allow for draining and prevent further wicking & rotting.

I think the only thing that got reused on ours was the heavy plastic pieces that wrapped the rounded corners.

Much much easier to go premade.

Hope this helps
                Northport NY

Comment

dmcb wrote:
                  Imo the seating is to low. On the advise of Whiskywizard we replaced ours with good pontoon furniture. It looks very good, is more comfortable than the previous seats and has more underseat storage. The seat frames are plastic so that problem is eliminated.

Measure well and order seats to fit or custom yours. I put a small table on the starboard side for snacks or charts and I really like it.

Maybe Mike will respond with some pics. As I recall he added an additional helm seat.

Doug
                  Agreed Doug - original furniture is not a great design. I didn't like the layout and it's definitely too low. I replaced all the bridge furniture with carefully-chosen units from http://"http://www.americansofttrim....ican Soft Trim. And I replaced the helm seat, and added a matching one on the port side. The new layout worked much better for us, and the seating is far more comfortable, clean, and totally rot-proof.

There's a full suite of before and after photos in the gallery, but I'm on the move today and working from a (crappy) mobile device. Here's a link; might be the right one, but I can't check it to confirm. See if the pics are still http://"http://www.baylinerownersclu...e: <br /> here.

Comment

I have newly recovered flybridge seating from my past sold 38 that you can have for free if you can pick it up. It is light tan with black trim and free for the taking.

Comment

I am planning on replacing the Bridge seat on my 38' I want to incorporate the hard top with pontoon seating. Does anybody have photos of their completed project.

Comment

We used pontoon seating up and down in ours. (fake leather in the salon) not all the builders were willing to do custom but one was. They put the angle on the starboard bridge seat to allow it to fit properly. (fit to the angle of the boat) Also did a nice cutout on the port side where required where it is raised for the helm chair. Did custome lenths for us too. The flip top storage is nicer that the stock seats and the height did seem to be a bit higher ( better) they were slightly wider than stock and on the starboard side that means that the bifold door on the flybrige (4588) will not open and stay open. I have had to have a little bungee to hook to the door to hold it open when we want it to stay open. Not a big deal for us but it did take away from the old setup where the door just flips open and stays open.

Cheers steve

Comment

well i'm glad i poked around out there. I think i'll buy premade. the cost will end up being about the same, only drawback is i could make mine custom but for the lack of aggravation to bolt in a premade, a no brainer for me. I travel every week so it would be couple month before i would be done.

i think i'm going with this:

http://veada.com/product/22_9-Helm-S...Helm-Seat.html

might even call them and see if i can just a couple inches wider.

Comment

Hello joe. If you need to have any custome lengths or angles, or cutouts etc then have a look at Amearican Soft Trim. These folks were the only people that we could find, willing to do custom lenghts and details for us. If you can get away with the stock sizes then this does not matter but you don't need to compromise as these folks were very good about the changes we needed. quality of the build seems very good. We love the hinged top so that every time you need to get to the storage you don't have to be placing the seat tops somewhere, and refit them when done.

Cheers steve

Comment

Here are the pics of my bridge furniture project.

http://baylinerownersclub.org/galler...2_itemId=32782

Comment

Working...
                              X