Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ladder/stairs custom for 3988

Good morning BOC

I made an offer to purchase a 3988 but meanwhile I have a question about the stairs to go to the flybridge.

The stairs to go up are really steep and I am wondering if any here had a new stairwell made or any custom work to modify the standard one.

Any help is highly appreciated
    Last edited by Jim_Gandee; 02-13-2020, 01:42 AM.
    Eric
    Bayliner 3988 1995 Hino 250hp

I made stairs for my 3988

It was a much better and safer situation. I built them myself and I used the treads from the ladder. I built a seperate section on the lower 2 steps that was attached to the hatch.

It was a lot of work. I made them out of 304 stainless

The top pic is the original style ladder. The bottom pic is of the stairs. O7 can see the difference in the landing. The stairs will still be steep but still much easier to go up and down.
    1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
    twin 454's
    MV Mar-Y-Sol
    1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
    Twin chevy 350's inboard
    Ben- Jamin
    spokane Washington

Comment

• C&H Dahl
      C&H Dahl commented
      Editing a comment
      I was wondering if you could repost the image, I cannot see how you altered your ladder

That's exactly what I am looking for !

I am very handy but not to the point of bending and welding SS.

Can you raise the stairs to open the hatch ?
    Eric
    Bayliner 3988 1995 Hino 250hp

Comment

"c350amg" post=733612 wrote:
      That's exactly what I am looking for !

I am very handy but not to the point of bending and welding SS.

Can you raise the stairs to open the hatch ?
      Yes the hatch could be opened. The best I could descibe it as step stool like . I wish I had better pictures but yes the bottom steps were a completely seperate section. Mine were bolted down to the hatch but you could probably come up with some kind of removable step too. Like using a removable davit slide plate or something.

The job wouldn't be for the beginner fabricator class. The metal is expensive and to mess it up would be costly. There is a lot of measuring and math and calculating and lofting involved as far as fabrication as far as welding I used a mig welder ( I didn't have a tig at the time) and a lot of care needs to be taken as far as splatter to other parts and warpage and twisting. The cleaner you can keep it and nicer the welds the less the finishing work will be. Might be wrong but 304 I thiink is going for about $3 lb.

When I built it I made the steps with the stand off long then I took it to the boat and custom fitted them. I didn't bent the rail tube myself. At the time I didn't have the capabilities of bending stainless tool wise. I had a shop in anacortes wa bend it for me then I welded it on.

I think I had the most time spent was on polishing it and cleaning up the welds. You can buy pre polished tube but its significantly more expensive so I opted for the unpolished.
      twin 454's
      MV Mar-Y-Sol
      Twin chevy 350's inboard
      Ben- Jamin
      spokane Washington

Comment

I've seen stairs done two ways, as described above with lower steps bolted separately to the hatch, and folding stairs for the lower few rungs. The boat that I saw with the folding stairs had a section of 2 or 3 steps that pivoted upward and folded against the rest of the stairs. A couple of pins were used to lock the stairs up or down.

Someday I plan on redoing the ladder on my 3788.
        1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
        2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
        Anacortes, WA

Comment

There's one in the Pacific Northwest that has molded fiberglass steps similar to what you see on the 52 /57.

Someone will have a photo or contact.
          1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Comment

I found this on the web but could not find a better photo. Notice the hinge on the stairs:

http://media.channelblade.com/boat_g...48340755_l.jpg
            1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
            2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
            Anacortes, WA

Comment

I remember this picture from a few years ago where the angle of the ladder had been eased by mounting a 'step stool' ladder base to the hatch. I met the owner of the boat "Star Baby" at the Bayliner Rendezvous at Roche Harbor, and he said the only change he would make would be build from stainless rather than use painted aluminum.

http://i32.tinypic.com/wm1bog.jpg
              Rob
              Bayliner 5788
              'Merlin V'
              Vancouver BC

Comment

I've been looking to replace my ladder since I bought my 3988 also. No luck finding a supplier yet. I found this old thread on BOC and the fiberglass staircase at the bottom of the thread is exactly what I would like have. I messaged jim bigrigg and am hoping for a response soon. My dad can't make the ladder climb as easy as he used to!

http://baylinerownersclub.org/index....-a-3988#143562

Comment

Dan Byrd, formally with Banana Belt Boats, now with Fairhaven Yacht Sales in La Conner, has a 3988. He modified his existing ladder using wider treads and changing the mounting of the treads to create a less steep angle. It seemed like a nice mod. He's a great guy and I'm sure he would share his knowledge with you.
                  2000 4788 w Cummins 370's, underhulls, swim step hull extension
                  12' Rendova center console with 40HP Yamaha
                  MV Kia Orana
                  Currently Alameda CA

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_24778.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	559722Click image for larger version  Name:	image_24777.jpg Views:	3 Size:	290.2 KB ID:	559721 Here is a repostar of the pictures
                    twin 454's
                    MV Mar-Y-Sol
                    Twin chevy 350's inboard
                    Ben- Jamin
                    spokane Washington

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	wm1bog.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	559787
                      MY 3988
                      M/V MMPOWRD
                      Poulsbo, WA

Comment

We are opening a fab shop for stainless and aluminum. Will be addressing my 3988 ladder and will make patterns/drawing. Any idea how many 3988s were made?

Comment

They made them for 7 years so even if 50 a year that isn't a huge market for replacing the ladder. I'm no kid but have no issues going up and down the ladder.
                          1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Comment

Where are you opening the shop? There are a bunch of 38xx’s that have the same vertical angle. About 2000 of them were built and if attrition reduced that by about 25% as a wild guess that’s still a good size market for what might be the same parts as the 39.
                            P/C Pete
                            Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
                            1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
                            Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
                            MMSI 367770440

Comment

Working...
                            X