4788 water leak in rear of salon-gctid387982

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4788 water leak in rear of salon-gctid387982

I have a water leak in the salon of our 4788, port side.

The symptom is that the water is dripping out from two light fixtures at the rear of the salon, just foward of the corner, port side.

I think the problem has to do with the hose and deck fitting that drains the flybridge on that side. The fitting itself is bronze, so I think the problem will be found in a cracked hose or something of that sort.

I need to dissamble that area, somebodys bound to have done this. How does it come apart?

Thanks

KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
    www.transferswitch4less.com

Whats the weather like on our boat
    https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddab...59665f4e4/wide

Where are we right now? https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Kevin,

I fought this one for a long time and when I had the old guy who use to work at the factory in customer service repair. I will bet you a beverage that it is not from the drain!

I found that I had to reseal the radar arch. The water was coming in from the where the wires come through the hole from the arch to the flybridge. Here is what I did to stop the leak:

Take some 2" white bilge hose and split it and put in the hole and seal it with caulk so any water pooling at the bottom of the arch can not come into the salon.

I pulled the underside of the arch apart and re-caulk it all and install new screws to get a good seal on the Arch. If you do these two things you will not have water from the arch.

To see if the water is coming from the arch you can take the blinds down (we threw them away an did Tint instead) they take the rear speaker box out in our '95 it was about three screws. Now you can take the valance with the light fixtures in it and drop it down to the counter.

Towards the stern is where the drain from the flybridge comes down. You can see up to the hole for the wires from the flybridge and start to track the water. (the wires come from the Arch and then head to the dash and then down behind the fridge)

Good luck it took me about 3 yrs to get it taken care of but this last year we had some very big rains and the salon was always dry

Comment

I too have had this problem. After hours of frustration it was the radar arch. I can almost garantee you this is where the water gets in. In my case it was an oversized wire entry hole from the anrenna on the side of the arch it let in a hell of an ammount of water. Only discovered after resealing the entire thing first on every part. Water will drip out the lights or runn out the hood lining if boat is rocking , it lies up in the cabin roof, builds up and then out she comes, real messy!

Good Luck
      Horizon 68
      Sydney

Comment

On our 47 it was a loose nut on the bridge drain thru hull. Access via plates at top of rear bulkhead in cockpit in corners.
        Started boating 1965
        Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

Comment

Me too. Starboard side.( 2000, 4788 ). I took down the light, full of brown water. Now I will start looking at the radar arch and the aft flybridge drain. Thanks for the timely advice.

Comment

jjlynch wrote:
            Me too. Starboard side.( 2000, 4788 ). I took down the light, full of brown water. Now I will start looking at the radar arch and the aft flybridge drain. Thanks for the timely advice.
            A few years after finding the loose nuts, leaks appeared again on our 47 at the rear most side salon lights when it rained very hard. Instead of beefing up the cable run area, I used 3M5200 to seal the 1/2 inch seam at the bottom the arch on front, rear and outside on port and stbd sides. This solved the second leak issue and it has not reappeared. This seemed a lot easier than the alternative.
            Started boating 1965

Comment

+1 Fixed after resealing base of radar arch, light lense, access holes and where cables ( like TV ) enter the arch. When we installed our cockpit enclosure, the installer mentioned he found water when he was drilling at the back of the overhang. I drilled a 3/16 hole in each of the rear corner, let all the water out and has been dry ever since. Ted

Comment

Thanks to everybody for the help!

I tried the hose trick and the problem appears to be on the radar arch after all.

Started sealing up things and hopefully got the issue settled.

KEVIN SANDERS
                4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
                www.transferswitch4less.com

Whats the weather like on our boat
                https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddab...59665f4e4/wide

Where are we right now? https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

ksanders wrote:
                  Thanks to everybody for the help!

I tried the hose trick and the problem appears to be on the radar arch after all.

Started sealing up things and hopefully got the issue settled.
                  Kevin it is most likely the arch, I had water starting at the seam of the aluminum trim that seals the face of the arch. I added more bolts to the arch because mine was taking such a beating in the rough conditions outside the Gate. If you can have somebody inspect the inside of the arch through the inspection plates as you trickle water on the various seams and penetrations starting low and working your way up to the top you will probably isolate the leaks. Water can enter the seam at the base of the arch as well. If you work the arch from the top forwards and back you may find there is movement in the arch opening the seam at the base. I would use a soft flexible sealant on the base as there is potential for movement especially with a heavy radar array. I think the Bimini when up helps stiffen the arch. I added additional bolts at the base which seemed to help. When you subject these boats to really rough conditions they tend to loosen up arches and break antenna mounts. I added handicap grab bars across the valance over the helm. A really handy addition.

Comment

mmichellich wrote:
                    On our 47 it was a loose nut on the bridge drain thru hull. Access via plates at top of rear bulkhead in cockpit in corners.
                    That is what caused ours to leak as well. It's a pain to get your hand in there but doable. I replaced the hose clamp and used sealer as well andf have had no leaks going on 3 years.
                    1994 4788

Comment

completelymobile wrote:
                      That is what caused ours to leak as well. It's a pain to get your hand in there but doable. I replaced the hose clamp and used sealer as well andf have had no leaks going on 3 years.
                      I still have a scar on my right wrist from many years ago from that repair. The problem is getting something like a large water pump plier on the nut and have room to move the wrench, without taking skin off your arm on the fiberglass.
                      Started boating 1965

Comment

My leak is in the aft starboard corner of the salon. If the arch is the source of the trouble, my access is restricted by the "entertainment center/refer,sink etc. " on the upper deck. Has anyone had experience with moving/temporarly removing that unit to get at the access ports in the arch? I looked inside the refer unit to find holddowns (none) . The back does not appear to have hold downs. Base seems sealed to the deck. All help for this project appreciated.

Comment

The leak from the valances in the salon is a common problem with the Bayliner 47's. As mentioned in prior posts, the radar arch is a prime suspect. A friend had the same leak in his new Meridian 49 several years ago, and a Meridian rep found the leak to be coming from the construction joint under the rain gutter on the pilothouse. I have fought this leak for years on my 2000 4788. Last summer I removed the front rain gutter over the windshield and found the construction joint was very poorly done and had been filled with body putty which was brittle and cracked. The crack was 1/4" in some places. I removed the body putty as best I could and filled the joint with 4700. I haven't had a leak in the salon since, so maybe I got it. I haven't removed the gutters on the sides of the salon yet, but will do so this summer. I suspect they are equally as poorly constructed and prone to leaking. If all else fails, check under your rain gutters.

Comment

mmichellich wrote:
                            I still have a scar on my right wrist from many years ago from that repair. The problem is getting something like a large water pump plier on the nut and have room to move the wrench, without taking skin off your arm on the fiberglass.
                            I also have a similar scar ... I carry a long piece of stainless wire that I fish down the drain on the fly bridge and the scuppers next to the pilot house door to dislodge the silt and debris that inevitably clog these drains which has saved my hands from additional scarring!
                            1994 4788

Comment

jjlynch wrote:
                              My leak is in the aft starboard corner of the salon. If the arch is the source of the trouble, my access is restricted by the "entertainment center/refer,sink etc. " on the upper deck. Has anyone had experience with moving/temporarly removing that unit to get at the access ports in the arch? I looked inside the refer unit to find holddowns (none) . The back does not appear to have hold downs. Base seems sealed to the deck. All help for this project appreciated.
                              The bar/sink unit is screwed into the deck. If it was sealed with 5200 it can be tuff to get loose.

You also have the electrical cables and water lines to deal with.

Pull the refer out and find the attach screws. Remove them and see if you can move the unit. If it won't move then try to pull some SS safety wire under the legs to cut through the sealant.

Be careful prying it up without cutting the sealant. My friend put a bar under his and ripped up the gel coat with the unit.

You may be able to move it over far enough to gain access to the arch without disconnecting the water line and cable.

Before you reinstall it be sure to fill the old screw holes. You most likely won't hit the same spot.

The PO of my boat removed the seating on the flybridge and it took me a long time to find where the water was coming from. I had to pull them again and fill all the old screw holes.

Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X