Volvo 275 leg Water entering through transom at Steering Yolk-gctid728415

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Volvo 275 leg Water entering through transom at Steering Yolk-gctid728415

This is for a Volvo penta 260b engine and a Volvo penta 275 leg.

I have a trickle of water entering through the transom at what looks like the Steering Yoke. If I turn the wheel/ leg all the way left or all the way right the water stops. If I wiggle the leg from outside the boat there is some play in this area but not a lot. Would new bushings help to eliminate this? Do bushing have anything to do with water tight seal?

I see that there is a ring on this area #4 as seen here.https://www.marinepartseurope.com/en...-44-13051.aspx. Is this ring responsible for keeping the water out. In previous posts Bounty has recommended gluing the ring to the yoke? I am not sure how do this? Would replacing the ring be the right thing to try here?

Any suggestions, comments, much appreciated.

Attached files

Yup need a new ring.

Here is what i would do and im no expert.

Order a new ring and both upper and lower bushings and replace them. Cheap about $25 in parts and can do it in a few hours. Might also be a good time the replace your bellows+ service U-Joints

Make sure your steering arm #47 will tighten down on the steering yoke #2 The steering arm when tight holds up the steering yoke slightly helping to make the ring seal by compression.

So when reassembling have a helper push up on the yoke until you tighten the steering arm tight on the yoke.

Or

You could just loosen the steering arm have a helper push up on the yoke and re tighten the arm. Might fix it also for awhile.

Want Rick to chime in you need to edit your post to include Volvo Penta or he will most likely not look at it
    Pat. Sandpoint Ida
    I NEED ANOTHER BOAT!!

Comment

Working...
    X