4788 Cummins 6BTA 5.9 330 Injector replacement-gctid728245

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4788 Cummins 6BTA 5.9 330 Injector replacement-gctid728245

Tomorrow I'm going to replaced all the injectors in both engines. I have Quickserve (Cummins) instructions but, I was looking for any last minute tips/tricks from any that have done this. Any advice would be appreciated.

I'm also going to be installing the Seaview Double/Double fuel filter system (both engines of course) and relocating the ON engine fuel filter for the port engine. This relocates it to the inside of the engine (so both are then in the breezeway). After that I'll change the oil in both engines and start and monitor smoke!!

The area's I have questions is what's the best way to relieve the pressure from the system when removing the injectors and then on the flip side bleeding the air out of the system after all the work pre-startup.

Thank you!!

Derek
    Family Boater
    1997 Bayliner 4788 w/330 Cummins - Phoenix
    (past) 1987 Bayliner 3218 w/135 Hino - True Story

I have changed injectors on the same block in a pickup truck. I had no need to relieve the pressure. Just remove the line.

Starting is the same as when you run out of fuel. On the truck there is an electric pump. Just cycle the key a few times as the pump will only run for a few seconds before it shuts itself down if the engine doesn't start.

Your manual should give instructions to start if you run out of fuel.

And it may not be the same as I described.

I would change the oil after completing the other tasks. Your engines should be warm when changing the oil. It will give you a chance to check them out before starting another task.

Doug
    Started boating 1955
    Number of boats owned 32
    Bayliners
    3870 presently owned
    Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

Derek,

I am interested in your experience in replacing injectors and installing the double/double system. Both of these items are on my spring to do list. I have the double/double. Just have not gotten roundtoit. Any reason you decided to replace the injectors with new?

Steve
      2000 4788 w Cummins 370's, underhulls, swim step hull extension
      12' Rendova center console with 40HP Yamaha
      MV Kia Orana
      Currently Alameda CA

Comment

"Woodsea" post=728511 wrote:
        Derek,

I am interested in your experience in replacing injectors and installing the double/double system. Both of these items are on my spring to do list. I have the double/double. Just have not gotten roundtoit. Any reason you decided to replace the injectors with new?

Steve
        Hi Steve,

Injectors are in and done (haven't started engines yet because I'm doing the filters next). They aren't hard to do but aren't easy either...it takes time getting all the clips off and the lines moved and all everything covered so NO debris gets in anywhere...in and done. When you do it let me know prior and I'll send you a tool I made to remove the injectors and you can send it back when done (unless you're in PS and you can pick it up the). Also, I have some tips/tricks for you too RE injectors.

I did the injectors because I believe there were leaking fuel down and I was "making oil"..meaning my oil level in particular on the starboard side was rising. Not substantially but enough to be concerned about. Also, I was getting a lot of smoke out of the exhaust. So, I'm narrowing it down and hoping that the valve guide seals aren't bad....

Derek
        Family Boater

Comment

Hello Derek,

I too am interested in your injector replacement project.

My boat is still shrink wraped . Going to be going into the water early May as the pleasure locks open here May 20th. I too will install or have installed new cummins injectors.

Any info , photos and tips would be appriciated.

Thank you,

Pete

Comment

When mechanic replaced my injectors, he did not bleed them - just started the engines, which ran rough at first, but cleared themselves up in short time.
            1997 4788 with Cummins 5.9 (315 hp)
            12 ft Rendova with 40 hp Merc 4 cycle
            Pacific NW

Comment

Hello Again Derek,

Would you consider 139.25 each fob us shipper ...US Funds.... a good price .

Up here Cummins now want 219.21 ea plus 15 % sales tax......Canadian funds

Maybe I'll smoke a little this year...........

Best Regards,

Pete

Comment

"steelwrk1" post=728696 wrote:
                Hello Again Derek,

Would you consider 139.25 each fob us shipper ...US Funds.... a good price .

Up here Cummins now want 219.21 ea plus 15 % sales tax......Canadian funds

Maybe I'll smoke a little this year...........

Best Regards,

Pete
                Hi Pete,

Are you wanting to buy the injectors that came out of my boat?

Derek
                Family Boater

Comment

Hello Derek,

No I was just about to buy my " new injectors from Cummins "...a bosch part ..... and I think I have a very good price at 139.25 US$ each.

I was seeking your knowledge as I figured you shopped around and just looking to see if I had A good price, I know I do versus Canadian Cummins pricing.

Also I would like you to write up your procedure you used to replace the injectors "IF" you have the time.

How long did it take to do ? Did you do it alone ?

I figured I would pay my local mechanic to do it but if its easy enough with no adjustments other than swap it out I might as well do it myself.

Thanks and If your too busy to do a write up , no problem.

Best Regards,

Pete

Comment

Pete, if this helps, the following pages are out of the Cummins Maintenance Manual. They talk about tapping the injector to release it, but I've seen machanics with a screw puller arrangement that attaches to the top of it to help ease it out. I think Derek made something similar. I'm not a fan of letting it purge itself of the air with it chugging along, at least get most of it out as you crank it.

I trust it helps. Cheers

John H
                    Brisbane QLD Aust
                    "Harbor-nating"

2000 - 4788/Cummins 370's

Comment

who reads the instructions?? :dry:

I'll do the write up no problem...It might take me a couple days but I'll get to it. Better yet just PM me and I'll give you my email and we can do it that way if that's ok?

Derek
                      Family Boater

Comment

Working...
                      X