Hatch in deck over Westerbeke 8 KW 1988 38xx-gctid345915

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hatch in deck over Westerbeke 8 KW 1988 38xx-gctid345915

Servicing the gen set is difficult due to the solid deck over it. I understand that the newer models had hatches over them from manufacture. Has anyone retrofit a hatch over the gen set? What kind of hatch? Custom or manufactured? How big? Any structural problems? Drainage problems over gen set into bilge? Any pictures of manufactured hatches in newer models or retrofits?

I couldn't find a similar thread in the archives.

Appreciate your advice and help.

Richard in Wisconsin

The center hatch over the 38 gen set was not too helpful due to small size on our 38 since all the regular maintenance items were usually on the side/front. You have to get to sides/front to change oil, change water pump, change belts, etc. To do heavy maintenance like removing injectors, tightening head bolts, top access is helpful. To remove the gen set, it has to come out of one of the other larger 38 hatches. The center hatch on our 47 is much more useful allowing most maintenance from the top due to it's much larger size.
    Started boating 1965
    Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

Comment

The "newer" 38XX's I've seen with the genset hatch have Onan, not Westerbeke generators. The hatches all look identical and appear to be factory original. There may be more crazing in the cockpit deck due to less structural rigidity in the deck due to this third hatch. Good luck, Doug S.

Comment

We have a 92 3888, with a hatch over the generator. It does provide access to the injectors and aircleaner, also the elect box top cover. The downside is the PO let water puor in and the factory lifting lug, lets water fall all over the generator. We got the boat last summer, so this winter before we use the boat again, I'm going to make a cover for the generator under the hatch. The water damage, so far claimed the ALT & starter, with excess rust on and in the generator. I like the access, but need to address the waterr issue. Oh, the generator is larger then the hatch, 8kw northernlights.

Comment

we have a hatch over the gen-set, I am posting a picture of it. The hatch is very small and limited access to the gen-set (northern lights 8kw) its nice to have a hatch in case we need to get into it fast for something. There are engine hatches for the Hino's on either side, nice and big. The :worthCapt was checking the engines and trying to clean some of the old water rust off the fiberglass. He has since found some wonder liquid to clean it and come springtime, this :arrAdmiral and the 2 little sherpa's will help me clean it all off. The Sherpa's can clean the rust off the waste tank area.. lol

as you can see in the picture, we only owned the 3888 a few weeks, and the P.O left it in bad condition and the hatches need new insulation and cleaning at the time of this picture. We went through 2 cases of costco paper towels cleaning down there and getting the slime off places.

Comment

Working...
          X