Depth Sounder Doesn(39)t Work-gctid727925

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Depth Sounder Doesn(39)t Work-gctid727925

Does anyone know of a reputable marine electronic service in the Everett WA vicinity? I have a depth sounder that isn't working and would like to have it tested to see if it's the transducer or instrument or network or??? Just want someone to come out, test it and diagnose the failure. Thanks, Rick

What sounder do you have?
    Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
    Twin 350 GM power
    Located in Seward, AK
    Retired marine surveyor

Comment

can you give more information? What's it doing or not doing? What model? Maybe I or someone else here can help you with more information.

Derek
      Family Boater
      1997 Bayliner 4788 w/330 Cummins - Phoenix
      (past) 1987 Bayliner 3218 w/135 Hino - True Story

Comment

Well, I won't be back to the boat for a couple weeks so I don't know the model of the transducers other that that they are Airmars. The boat is relatively new to me. The upper helm works fine although the depth shows on the Raymarine MFD but the actual depth instrument is inoperable(perhaps the PO disconnected when the MFD was installed). The pilot house doesn't show depth on the MFD nor on the depth sounder instrument. It has two transducers, one just in front of the port engine and one under the step in the companionway. I'm not sure which transducer serves which helm. I also could not hear or feel the classic "ticking" on either transducer but again the upper helm works great.

I really need to spend some time tracing the cabling to figure out which transducer sevens which helm. I also need to figure out how to test whether the problem is in the transducer, MFD, network, or just a faulty connection somewhere. I'm pretty good a troubleshooting stuff but this one has me stumped and I don't want to just blindly start replacing things.

Comment

"Average Joe" post=728213 wrote:
          Well, I won't be back to the boat for a couple weeks so I don't know the model of the transducers other that that they are Airmars. The boat is relatively new to me. The upper helm works fine although the depth shows on the Raymarine MFD but the actual depth instrument is inoperable(perhaps the PO disconnected when the MFD was installed). The pilot house doesn't show depth on the MFD nor on the depth sounder instrument. It has two transducers, one just in front of the port engine and one under the step in the companionway. I'm not sure which transducer serves which helm. I also could not hear or feel the classic "ticking" on either transducer but again the upper helm works great.

I really need to spend some time tracing the cabling to figure out which transducer sevens which helm. I also need to figure out how to test whether the problem is in the transducer, MFD, network, or just a faulty connection somewhere. I'm pretty good a troubleshooting stuff but this one has me stumped and I don't want to just blindly start replacing things.
          I agree...I wouldn't start replacing anything until you've confirmed the source of the problem! What Raymarine screens do you have (there are e,a,c,es,gs to the best of my knowledge). Some of them have depth sounders built in (like the ES screens I just installed in my boat). The older screens and the GS series require an external module (DSM30 usually) to give the MFD the depth information from the transducer to the MFD. My suspicion is that you've either got a setup issue or a wiring issue. But when you get back to the boat provide as much information as you can. If you have newer screens you'll have to go into the the SETUP menu and external devices and in there (iirc) you'll see everything external that's connected to your MFD's maybe try to set up again.

How are your MFD's networked together?

Derek
          Family Boater
          1997 Bayliner 4788 w/330 Cummins - Phoenix
          (past) 1987 Bayliner 3218 w/135 Hino - True Story

Comment

Some require fluid between the hull and the transducer. It could be as simple as that if you are getting power yet no reading. See link below for what it looks like. This one is by Faria.

http://www.boatersland.com/farsn2010...FVBffgoddhcMrQ
            Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
            1998 3055 Ciera
            (yes, a 1998)
            Previous boat: 1993 3055
            Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
            Sea Doo XP
            Sea Doo GTI SE
            Life is short. Boats are cool.
            The family that plays together stays together.
            Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
            X