38 Foredeck constructions-gctid727456

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

38 Foredeck constructions-gctid727456

Hello to all.. I am making an aluminum dingy cradle for the fore deck and hope to add a small crane at some point. My inquiry is the construction of the fore deck. I have done this set up before on a previous boat with no backing plates. I just screwed it down and 5200 underneath. No deck flexing or concerns. I have 4 - 6" round pads on the cradle and the dinghy and motor are bout 250lbs. My fore deck is in good shape with no flexing now. I just don't know how thick it is. Thoughts??

Hi Plumber

Their was a recent post about a member selling his crane off his 38... so I think your deck will handle it .

Good luck Brad
    Brad & Sharon
    Lady Jake
    1985 4550 EH 700TI /Twin Disc 502
    LaConner,Wa. (summer)
    2003 Scout CC 24' W/225 Yamaha
    kailua Kona,Hi (Winter)

Comment

All cranes I have seen are anchored to the hull passing through the deck, usually taking space from the forward head

Comment

I drilled out 3" cores in the upper and lower parts of the foredeck to install the exhaust for heaters. Mine was two layers of 3/4 plywood laminated with at least a 1/4 inch of glass on top and an 1/8 on the bottom. I think its plenty tough for a dinghy, Be aware though that if there are any loose supports or poorly attached hull to deck joints the extra weight of the dingy will make it known.
        1990 3888 Bayliner, Twin 351's

Comment

i cut a 4 inch hole through my foredeck years ago to install a 750 lb. capacity davit, hole was just forward of windshield on port side. stand pipe went through counter top in guest head down to a footing that was poured into the bilge area below the vanity. a solid fiberglass block bonded to the hull/chine area. the cabin top was 1/4 glass with about 1 inch or more of foam core and 1/8 of glass on the underside. i wouldn't rely on the cabin top to support a crane thats bolted to it. the stand pipe being almost equal in length to the lifting boom takes the load off the cabin top mounting. i hope this makes sense

Comment

Working...
          X