Shoot thru the hull transducers in a 45XX-gctid727182

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shoot thru the hull transducers in a 45XX-gctid727182

Has anybody put an in hull transducer in a 45? I have a new Raymarine P79 style shoot thru the hull transducer for my a97 display but I am having issues with it. Initially I had it installed next to the thru hull transducer from the old depth sounder (under the bottom step on the hall) and I saw decent bottom contour now nothing and depth readings are hit and miss and definitely not accurate. I had a puck style shoot thru the hull transducer on my 32 that in fresh water was very reliable when I brought the boat to the sound I definitely lost some depth range but up to 200 feet or so it was good. Is the 45 hull coring heavier? I rebedded thru hull on the 32 and saw maybe 1/8" of foam core on that boat but does the 45 have more? I have moved the thing around trying to find the sweet spot but not much luck. I really didn't want to pull the boat and install a transom or thru hull transducer but is that my only alternative?

Is the old transducer still in use? The reason I ask is I just installed two new thru hull transducers in two existing holes from a old transducer and a speed paddle. The marina mechanic here told me because both holes were close together that if both of my new transducers were on at the same time it could possibly cause interference with false or no reading at all at the unit.
    Dan
    Frostbite Falls, Minnesota
    Claudia V. III
    1988 - 3218
    Gas Drives

Comment

I also installed a Raymarine Transducer and used a old transducer hole. The new base must be installed so the transducer will point straight down. I added water in the base like they said, and it worked great for awhile. What I found was the water goes into the core so the transducer is out of the liquid.I ended up putting a plastic bag in the hole and filled with water and put the transducer back and it has worked for the last 3 years. I used water instead of anti-freeze because it can't freeze here and boat is in water year round.

Comment

So after removing everything and starting over, I am thinking I did have some interference from other transducers. In the process of looking for a better spot, I noticed a thread here that said their transducers were under the front of the engines. So I found 3 more transducers glued to the hull under the port engine under a oil matt. Hmmm, that was the fourth, fifth, and sixth tranducers I have found now. Two were under the bottom step ( 1 across the keel from the step) and one transom mount that I think is only a temp/speed. There are only two indepedent depth instruments on the boat now (until I tried to add a third). What appears is the midship transducers are thru hull types, the three under the engine are shoot thru the hull, and then the transom mount. I put the new one under the other engine and now have good depth and even decent fish finder readings on my new Raymarine a97 MFD. Now heres another question, I would like to get, thru the water speed and temp so are transducers compatible across manufacturer? The plugs look very dfferent but Raymaine has several adapter cables available. Has anyone ever tried that?

Comment

Working...
        X