3988 Noise-gctid386421

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3988 Noise-gctid386421

I've owned my 2001 3988, cummins 330's, for a year and a half now and have a question about engine noise while underway. It's a grinding, buzzing, vibration noise that is most noticeable while sitting at the lower helm and I think I've isolated it to the right of the helm around the shift or throttle linkage. Doesn't appear to change with rpm or gear lever position. No, it's not the loose nut behind the wheel.... Has anyone else noticed this, is it something you live with, or can it be quieted? Thanks for the help. Bruce
    "Impasse". 2001 3988
    Cummins 330's
    Puget Sound

"You don't want to be the richest guy in the nursing home..."

If you remove the cupboard lining from the cupboard directly under the throttles you might get closer to the sound.
    1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Comment

Have you checked the cupboard below the throttles to make sure you don't have items in there vibrating ? I've been in this area numerous times and there's really nothing down there to make a noise. It is possible though that the noise is telegraphing up the cables from below.

Ron

Comment

bal734 wrote:
        I've owned my 2001 3988, cummins 330's, for a year and a half now and have a question about engine noise while underway. It's a grinding, buzzing, vibration noise that is most noticeable while sitting at the lower helm and I think I've isolated it to the right of the helm around the shift or throttle linkage. Doesn't appear to change with rpm or gear lever position. No, it's not the loose nut behind the wheel.... Has anyone else noticed this, is it something you live with, or can it be quieted? Thanks for the help. Bruce
        The noise is telegraphing up from the cable linkage at the transmission. If you can find a way to wrap the link without compromising it, the buzz should go away. I just ignore it, or drive from the bridge. You can also go electronic if you want to spend the bucks.

Comment

Working...
        X