Quick opinions needed: Mounting a TV in a 45-gctid345678

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick opinions needed: Mounting a TV in a 45-gctid345678

After owning our 45 for three years, today is the day Mr Ducksoop and I finally do something permanent about mounting the TV in the salon. We aren't interested in a having a huge TV in there; the one we're looking at is a 'super slim' model with a 32 inch screen that weighs only 18 pounds including mount.

We have two different opinions on which way to go with this. My idea is to install a short mount on the window valance and let the TV hang down. Mr. Ducksoop thinks this would be too much for the valance to handle (I disagree since the valance seems pretty stout in its construction based on the size of the screws we saw when we had it down to install new lighting in that area). He thinks a better approach is installing a mount on the "ledge" at the salon window and mounting the TV on that. I think this approach presents a fundamental problem with the window's slight angle inwards, plus it puts the TV in the way of opening the windows and blocks quite a bit of the view. Has anybody done either of these installations? Anybody have any opinions on which would be the better way to go, and would either present a greater problem when in rough seas?

"Anybody have any opinions on which would be the better way to go, and would either present a greater problem when in rough seas?"

Yes - I believe that your 'version' of rough seas on the lake will allow either location but....

Where we boat there are times when rough seas require us to 'lay down' any chairs and tables in the boat so they do not get 'thrown' around. If you encounter these types of rough seas the valance will not afford enough strenght to prevent damage.

Alternately you can find certain TV mounts that are very strong which will mount solidly to the Ledge and still allow a pivot and angle motion giving acess to other areas or views. Some of these can be 'locked' in place for when you are on the move.

Hope this helps
    Northport NY

Comment

[QUOTE]smitty477 wrote:
      "Anybody have any opinions on which would be the better way to go, and would either present a greater problem when in rough seas?"

Yes - I believe that your 'version' of rough seas on the lake will allow either location but...." /QUOTE]

I agree that either of these solutions would work while we're still here on Lake Lanier, but we're preparing to do the Loop so that's why I'm looking for some advice from you 'big water' guys. So your thoughts are the 18 pounds hanging straight down would be more tenuous (based on the strength of the valance) vs. the stress on the shelf with the mount holding the TV up and slightly forward? We'll go by the consensus here, but I really did think the valance is stout enough to handle it. Wishful thinking, maybe. Both types of mounts have 'lock in position' capabilities if it figures into your considerations.

Comment

I installed a 32 inch Samsung super slim LED tv in the salon of my 3988. I wanted a firm support but did not ant to lose cabinet space.

My solution was to use a double articulated swinging mount that is rated for 80 pounds and the TV is 18 pounds.

These pictures were taken before I cleaned up and hid all the wiring. which is now all done.

We also have a Bungee cord which holds it firmly against the cabinets while underway that worked very well on our trips

all over Lake Ontario this past summer, no movement at all in heavy water.

"Adios Dinero"
        1997 3988 with new 330 Cummins
        Photo Credit: Whiskywizard

Comment

Hi Mrs Ducksoup, Is that a 3D TV???You both were likin the one you lookin at last week.. I will hang off a valance today on the 45 I am working on and let you know.. I have taken them down before and the counter top looks stronger to me.. Maybe a poll between the two and adjust the height as needed and have the streanth of both . Earl International

Comment

earl international wrote:
            Hi Mrs Ducksoup, Is that a 3D TV???You both were likin the one you lookin at last week..
            I have to say your 3D TV got Mr. Ducksoop all excited and possibly had a little something to do with his moving this three year old project to the top of his 'honey-do' list. Go figure. ;-) The pole running from top (valance) to bottom (shelf) is something we thought about, but it would have to be angled to take the slant of the window into account--very hard to find one that does this. I think it will boil down to an 'either/or' deal. Hang on the valance and let me know your good counsel.

Comment

The vallance in the 45 I am working on is stout, didnt move while I was swinging off of it!! I like the upper location with a drop down mount.. I have seen a fire place with a raise up tv behind it in a 45 salon, that was nice.... Earl International

Comment

Have a 1990 4588, we put a 32" up about 4 years ago on a poll mount, due to the potential for rough conditions in So. Calif. I notched out the inside of the valance so we could use a ceiling mount and through bolted it with backing plate (easy access from the fly bridge access hole. This plan worked great as we have been in some large sees and the tv stays put as if it is part of the boat. And the when i notched out the wood I preserved the vinyl to cover the opening so from the front you do not see a pole at all and only if lean behind it can you see it on the sides
                Mark
                USCG OUPV
                1990 4588
                Carlsbad, CA

Comment

Destiny, love that idea. Do you happen to have any photos?

Comment

I will take a few and post next weekend that I am up at boat
                    Mark
                    USCG OUPV
                    1990 4588
                    Carlsbad, CA

Comment

That would be fantastic. Thank you!

Comment

We may be thinking the same TV... Samsung? like 1.1" thick?

At any rate, I had a mount made that is two parts.

1 - Male piece that is thru-bolted to end of wet bar cabinet (had to pull out ice maker)

2 - Female piece that has flange on top; flange was drilled and tapped (not shown in pics) in order to directly mount the bracket - that is used to attach the TV to the table top stand - on the flange. Yes, I disassembled the table top stand and isolated that particular bracket. In the end, instead of being attached to the table top stand, it is simply attached to my female piece/flange.

3 - While in place, the TV can swivel up to the point it starts to hit the windows...

Underway, I slide the female piece up, and store it - still attached to tv - on the guest stateroom bed. The mount is way more than sturdy, but in place, the tv severely limits visibility from the lower helm to starboard.

I could easily see adapting this idea to a horizontal surface as well.

If you have questions, just send me a PM... Pardon the mess! I deserved a cold beer and prop my feet up by then. :-)

Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/649147=23996-TV Mount 1.jpg[/img] [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/649147=23997-TV Mount 2.jpg[/img] [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/649147=23998-TV Mount 3.jpg[/img]

Comment

I wanted to hide the TV when we weren't watching it so I installed a 26" TV in the cabinet just fore of the battery switches on the starboard side of the boat. I've attached a few pictures. Enjoy.

Jim V.

'88 4518 in Seattle

Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/653072=24602-CIMG1219.jpg[/img] [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/653072=24603-CIMG1220.jpg[/img] [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/653072=24604-CIMG1221.jpg[/img]

Comment

Working...
                          X